Patong - The Wake

Patong2

I guess part of my "problem" is that I have now become more cynical. When I first came to Phuket in 2014 I was one of those guys that was happy to pay for the company (and more) but I have never mastered Connect 4 and the dice-in-a-cup, jackpot flips and hammering nails in to a tree trunk get a bit tiresome after a while. Also, in the early days it was always a four-week holiday and so the excitement was easily maintained. Now that I've retired I do three months at a time - five months this visit to make up for last year's lock-downs - maybe I am just getting the time to "tink too mutt".

Nowadays I buy the odd LD to "play the white man" (sorry for the non -PC expression if it offends anyone) in order to help the girls rather than as a groping fee and it now annoys me to learn that the boss may pocket the girl's share if she doesn't make her targets.

Regarding Black Horse - I do buy the odd beer for "Da" who is a very hard and conscientious worker and is on the go non-stop but it's at beer a customer price, not a LD, and she is happy with that. I'm not sure that any other bars will allow that.

Edited by London Lowf
To m ake it better.
  • Like 2

On 6/25/2017 at 1:09 PM, LivinginKata said:

I thought the title was quite clever. Previous topic was about Patong dying, and we all mostly agreed it was. So now we are into the wake period of mourning in the Irish party way ...

In the nearly Five years since how do you think it has performed.? Still a wake or wake over and everyone gone away.? 

Some people I speak to in Pattaya have done the Sandbox there and think it is/was wonderful. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, xylophone said:

although one has to say that TAT have made a dog's breakfast of any attempts to bring tourists here

Something I forgot to mention on top of this quote above, was that the TAT did focus on the Chinese market and in some aspects it proved profitable for the low/medium priced condo sellers, however it really didn't do much to lift the profile of the place, nor did it bring huge profits, because many of those went back to China by virtue of the structure of the businesses here – – joint Thai/Chinese, if indeed a Thai was even involved?

They focused on the cheaper end of the market and it backfired, they did nothing about the reputation of the place and it backfired, and they did nothing about persuading the powers that be that the infrastructure needed updating – – so in effect they have reaped what they have sown, and the old quote, "they are about as useless as tits on a bull" comes to mind. 

Sad state of affairs for the smaller businesses here.

28 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

March 1st - I'll be back!

There are many things that I dislike about the UK, but they are leading the way in returning to a normal post-Covid existence - I fly direct BKK-LHR and do not have to do any testing at all.

Hopefully, by the time I return, Thailand will have "woken up and smelt the coffee".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 10:34 PM, Olmate said:

When do you leave! 

Back to grammar school mate, suppose to have a question mark at the end of that as opposed to the exclamation.

But sure, ol boy has some time on his hands, and yeah, the invest in the project that quits when there are no more investors has been a long time island boondoggle so abandoned projects (?) no surprise there.

Phuket will be happenning, bigtime, again when we're done with Covid and the Ruskies get rid of Putin.

9 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

Phuket will be happenning, bigtime, again when we're done with Covid and the Ruskies get rid of Putin.

Regretfully, I believe that Phuket is more dependent on Chinese tourists (and investors) than the folk that post on here.

I say regretfully because the beaches and roads were an absolute delight the last few months without them, although a large number of Phuket businesses (Tiger Group) were totally dependent on them and remain closed.

The last time I went to Patong, in 2019, at the time of European summer holidays, there seemed to be less (Western) tourists in Patong and at other beaches than 20 years ago. Prices, of course, were much higher, while the quality of service had declined. Everything seemed to be tailored more towards Chinese tourists.

However, Patong, particularly, seemed to have lost a lot of the charm it had 20 or even 5 years earlier.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

4 hours ago, grumpyoldman said:

Back to grammar school mate, suppose to have a question mark at the end of that as opposed to the exclamation.

But sure, ol boy has some time on his hands, and yeah, the invest in the project that quits when there are no more investors has been a long time island boondoggle so abandoned projects (?) no surprise there.

No question.Simply a sarcastic exclamation!! ????

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, grumpyoldman said:

Point of the post was that Phuket will be back, and yes, I think this thread itself needs a wake. Something like "Phuket Now" or "Phuket Today" would be better.

Knock yourself out, I look forward to reading.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 4:32 AM, London Lowf said:

I only know of one development that seems to be going ahead and that is the eco-friendly Layan Green Park, but even there they seem to be back-pedalling and in no hurry.

Unfortunately, looking at their website and numerous YouTube videos, this development is very much targeted at Russians!

Another kick in the goolies for Phuket!

As regards Patong, I have seen quite a few backpackers strolling around the place, and these along with the budget end tourists, are unfortunately not going to save Patong.

A few more "Arabic looking" guys roaming around the place, and judging by their dress code, they're not going to boost the coffers of businesses here, nor are many of the other low end visitors and to prove a point, I was getting a foot massage at the local massage shop where I know the owner and her sister, and have done for years, when a tall slim Pakistani in his early 30s scruffily dressed, came in and wanted a massage.

A while later he came out of the back of the shop with the masseuse, and she sat outside on the chair whilst he talked down at her, seemingly arguing with her and saying that "she wasn't his friend" and she looked decidedly uncomfortable and I was about to go out and help her, when this guy walked away. 

I asked what it was all about and she said that if he could get a discount on the massage he would bring many of his friends to the shop, and she said that only the owner could do that, then he asked for a "hand assisted extra" for 20 baht, which she refused and he was not very happy at all.

So, far from attracting the rich and famous, Phuket, or at least Patong, has managed to attract a few dregs and low lifes from what I've seen just recently.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...