Patong - The Wake

Patong2

13 minutes ago, DHut said:

Hi everyone, good day to all of you good people. I am preparing my visa and documents to enter Thailand via the Phuket sandbox program. But I am still undecided which area I should stay in. If I were to station myself in Patong, would I get any sights of life, restaurants and amenities? Also, I don't ride a motorbike, it would be great if there are baht bus and motorsai available easily in Patong. Appreciate any advice from Phuket residents here. Thanks much!

Well Patong is not the "full on" place it used to be by any means, however as I have just said in another post, there are a few restaurants open and a few shops, but forget it if you liked shopping in the big shopping malls, because there aren't any open now in Patong.

A few massage parlours are open and are very welcoming with the girls at the door beckoning passers-by to enter!

There are a few tuk tuks around although I haven't seen a baht bus lately, but plenty of motorbike taxis.

The main bar area of Bangla Road is just about closed down completely, with perhaps a handful of bars struggling to stay open and serving alcohol in plastic cups and coffee mugs.

There was no one on the beach this morning, so if you like empty beaches, this is the place to be.

A few other posters here have said that Rawai is the place to be, however I can't comment because I haven't been there lately – let's hope this helps.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well Patong is not the "full on" place it used to be by any means, however as I have just said in another post, there are a few restaurants open and a few shops, but forget it if you liked shopping in the big shopping malls, because there aren't any open now in Patong.

A few massage parlours are open and are very welcoming with the girls at the door beckoning passers-by to enter!

There are a few tuk tuks around although I haven't seen a baht bus lately, but plenty of motorbike taxis.

The main bar area of Bangla Road is just about closed down completely, with perhaps a handful of bars struggling to stay open and serving alcohol in plastic cups and coffee mugs.

There was no one on the beach this morning, so if you like empty beaches, this is the place to be.

A few other posters here have said that Rawai is the place to be, however I can't comment because I haven't been there lately – let's hope this helps.

Thank you so much, this helps a lot in knowing what kind of situation Patong is in right now. Sounds like the Patong back in the days before mass tourism arrives. Kinda sad to hear that walking street is struggling, I missed hearing girls calling me handsome while I hold my beer belly with pride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Espanol said:

Well, I'm in Patong Beach right now.

About 6 sunbeds hired in my row.

Beach is lovely and few people here: no Chinese, Russian, British, Korean, Indian or Australian. Just some Americans and Europeans. 

Bangla Road has about 15 open bars, serving alcohol without restrictions. Yes: beer is served in coffee mugs, but who minds?

Beautiful girls everywhere at cheap prices.

Plenty of massage places. Difficult to find one without happy ending, but there are some.

Many open restaurants and very good promotions (50%) in good restaurants using Eatigo. 

I was here last time in 2017 and promised that never again. Indeed much better now.

It's a pity that this will not last much longer, but I'm really happy that I finally know Phuket like it was 40 years ago.

Thank you too Sir, this is very informative. Looks like I am set to station in Patong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the update Xylophone!

I’ve actually never been to Patong, but got to read the entire thread, kind of a novel, when I had spare time. Feels like I know you and got a little worried when you didn’t write anything ????

Be well and stay safe!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 1:15 PM, xylophone said:

Nice post LL, good to catch up with you, and you have summed it up well, and it's such a pity that the 10 PM curfew was implemented, because the place was very lively, but then, them's the rules!

The ex-Suzie Wong's girls who were crowding around the bar at the entrance to Soi Sea Dragon were certainly busy and there had to be at least 30 of them vying for punters attention and lady drinks.

Beach Road was also busy with hotels and café's pulling in a few punters, and I noticed that Molly Malone's was open, and the lead guitarist and singer, called Dom, from a group who used to play in Soi Freedom, came over to me and asked me to go in and join him in a few songs, but friends and I were on our way to the Italian restaurant, Napoli, in Soi Post Office, so I couldn't take him up on his offer.

At the end of the evening when I was making my way home, the guitarist who used to play in the group in Red Hot spied me and came over for a chat and said that they were now open and would I join them tomorrow night (Sunday night), however I didn't fancy a consecutive night out, so said I would think about it.

Lucky I didn't make any commitments because this morning I woke up with a hangover, which was surprising because I didn't have much to drink, however thinking back I believe it was the red wine we were drinking with our meal, because my friend ordered it and it wasn't until after we had finished two bottles and I wasn't impressed with it at all, that I decided to look at the back label, only to find it was, "red fruit wine" which explained a lot, and I have put that down to my hangover, because I can drink exactly what I had last night, starting off with a decent red wine and never get a hangover!

I would like to share LL's enthusiasm as regards Patong, and I think it definitely will get better, but not in leaps and bounds, and it will be a couple of years IMO before it gets back to something like its old days, and will probably never get back to its old "glory days".

Napoli and Red Hot are open again? My two favorite places in Patong ???? I was checking them entire summer on our weekend pizza takeaways at Da Moreno (all the way from Kata lol)... Few months ago I gave up, thought they will never open... Now I'm stuck in Kata for a month (after knee surgery, eh)...  As soon as I'm up on my feet I'll be firing my Aerox and head to Patong for some authentic pasta and rock'n'roll ????  (Da Moreno is pizza champ still heh) Thanks for fantastic news Xylo!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Sorry no idea why my message was in bold text... I talked to guitarist from Red Hot, he confirmed they are open and have many customers... Good news... Waiting for Xylo & LL field reports ????

Depending upon the mood I am in, I could well go out on Friday evening and sing a few songs with the band at Red Hot, although it's a bit of a bummer them only being able to play from 7 PM to 10 PM!

Much like Thai drivers anticipate the lights changing and deliberately jump the red........

I think that the bars on Bangla have already relaxed their hours in anticipation of next months probable relaxation. Up until very recently the 10pm shut-down has been very strictly adhered to and, although you have been allowed a little drinking-up time, you have not been able to order after 10pm and you have been asked to settle your tab before that time.

Last night it was all different - 10pm came and went and, when I asked at my "local" (in which the police regularly stop for a meal) what time they were closing, I just got a shrug. I'd already had my fill and so set off home but at 10:15 things were still going strong.

Earlier, I'd noticed that two bars have now been brave enough to open in the Tiger complex - that place was increasingly becoming more and more bare over the last few years and they had a grand total of three punters between them.

Also, i had a wander down Soi Sea Dragon and there are quite a few bars opened up in the last few days - probably 25%. The remainder of the soi is being used for staff parking which helps explain why it is so easy to park within a two minute walk at either end of Bangla these days. Sadly, these bars were generally deserted.

A Sandboxer on a "rival" forum, from which I've now excommunicated myself, mentioned that Bangla was "busy" -  clearly, they are comparing it to an English seaside town in February. There are people around but look closely and the vast majority are staff. The Sea Dragon bar is a good example - it is a hive of activity but look closer and they must "employ" 30-40 girls. Nowadays you don't get one girl to ask you "where you fom" and "you come alone" - you get three of them. That can work out a very expensive night out for the unwary.

It's the same at several bars along Bangla - outwardly busy, but plenty of girlies and very few paying customers and, looking at the daily international arrivals, I can't see any improvement on the horizon.

(Of course, me being a sensible chap, I drink at bars where the lady drinks are at regular prices - albeit without the eye candy)

• Like 1