Patong - The Wake

Patong2

16 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I believe that some of what you have said is true, however there is another little moneymaking scheme going on.......a couple of nights ago, a Russian guy and his girlfriend, both wearing crash helmets were stopped and fined 1000 baht for not wearing a mask on the motorbike!!!!

I thought I'd heard it all, unless this is some sort of new ruling, and if it is, I had better start wearing one in my car!

16 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I thought I'd heard it all, unless this is some sort of new ruling, and if it is, I had better start wearing one in my car!

If you are alone in your car - not required.  But more than 1 person in the car, it is required.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

I believe that some of what you have said is true, however there is another little moneymaking scheme going on.......a couple of nights ago, a Russian guy and his girlfriend, both wearing crash helmets were stopped and fined 1000 baht for not wearing a mask on the motorbike!!!!

Pure science. The potential transmission of Covid while riding a motorbike has to be around 0.000000001 percent. Draconian, power hungry, stupid, and insane. Just say NO. I often do that with the cops here. It often works! 

• Like 1

Caution with the reopening.  Buddy of mine and I were in Patong on Bangla, about 10 days ago getting close to closing time, when he went off with one of those stunners you see in the middle of the street.  He showed up about 60min later missing his shirt with a harrowing tail.  He told her a price for boom boom which she agreed to, took him to a nice car, opened the driver side and asked for the money, he said no, not until after boom boom.  She takes him to her room several floors up, she immediately asks for the money only a bit more aggressively after he had removed his shirt.  He says no, after boom boom.  She says now or no boom boom.  He says no, not until after boom boom.  The tension has risen pretty high and she refuses viciously.  He says I'm leaving where she blocks the way out of the room saying pay me.  He pushes past her and heads down the stairs where she proceeds to try and kick him down the stairs from behind over and over again as he is trying to get out of the building.  He actually got into the elevator, keeping her out and went up when she was heading to the entrance to the building while he called the tourist police where the call was picked up but no one said anything.  He said you could hear like the TV on but no one spoke with him.  He finally headed down thinking she would be gone but there she was with her supposed boss who was some Thai guy barely awake and not willing to get into it.  Friend finally pushes his way out the door and got back to the bar I told him I was still at, shirtless and really stressed.  I told him buyer beware and bought him a strong drink.  Took me a couple of days to get the full story out of him but says he will never go back to Bangla, easier places for boom boom elsewhere.

Edited by DrPhibes
spelling
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrPhibes said:

Caution with the reopening.  Buddy of mine and I were in Patong on Bangla, about 10 days ago getting close to closing time, when he went off with one of those stunners you see in the middle of the street.  He showed up about 60min later missing his shirt with a harrowing tail.  He told her a price for boom boom which she agreed to, took him to a nice car, opened the driver side and asked for the money, he said no, not until after boom boom.  She takes him to her room several floors up, she immediately asks for the money only a bit more aggressively after he had removed his shirt.  He says no, after boom boom.  She says now or no boom boom.  He says no, not until after boom boom.  The tension has risen pretty high and she refuses viciously.  He says I'm leaving where she blocks the way out of the room saying pay me.  He pushes past her and heads down the stairs where she proceeds to try and kick him down the stairs from behind over and over again as he is trying to get out of the building.  He actually got into the elevator, keeping her out and went up when she was heading to the entrance to the building while he called the tourist police where the call was picked up but no one said anything.  He said you could hear like the TV on but no one spoke with him.  He finally headed down thinking she would be gone but there she was with her supposed boss who was some Thai guy barely awake and not willing to get into it.  Friend finally pushes his way out the door and got back to the bar I told him I was still at, shirtless and really stressed.  I told him buyer beware and bought him a strong drink.  Took me a couple of days to get the full story out of him but says he will never go back to Bangla, easier places for boom boom elsewhere.

Sounds exciting… I’d expect cash up front if in her shoes though.

Not at a car, but certainly at the room.

Comparing the old photo with the current 2021 view.

Note the similar roof shape of the structure to the right of Bangla Road (old with green tiles and dormer) and current image (brown tiles and same dormer construction) – Location of grounds to Patong Beach Hotel.

patong ariel photo.jpg

patong 2021.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, billythehat said:

Probably on the money there, Chief.

This photo was taken looking up Bangla, circa mid to late 70’s.

Bangla Road.jpg

That photo is late 80s as you can see the sign for Faulty Towers which opened in 88 or 89.

1 hour ago, Yamba said:

That photo is late 80s as you can see the sign for Faulty Towers which opened in 88 or 89.

dont think so, i moved to patong in 85 and bangla was a sealed road
Fawlty towers was open in the late 80's on the soi leading to the titanic disco>on the left side
no idea when they had moved

End of bangla on left was nordic bungalows and than Doolies.
hang a left on 2000 year road an quick right to Expat hotel and the titanic 

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

dont think so, i moved to patong in 85 and bangla was a sealed road
Fawlty towers was open in the late 80's on the soi leading to the titanic disco>on the left side
no idea when they had moved

End of bangla on left was nordic bungalows and than Doolies.
hang a left on 2000 year road an quick right to Expat hotel and the titanic 

Just asked a mate who was involved in Faulty Towers in the early days, he said it opened in Bangla in 86. Then the owner opened the Faulty Towers Inn in the Expart Hotel soi in 1990.

Maybe they were redoing the road but that photo is from 86 at the earliest.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Sounds exciting… I’d expect cash up front if in her shoes though.

Not at a car, but certainly at the room.

It's not the use in Thailand to pay upfront, and when a girl is asking for it, it can be a sign there will be some problem, I.e. the girl will not deliver the negotiated service, is actually a ladyboy, will shout "jep" after 30 seconds, etc....

12 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Talking from experience, or a friend told you so?

Isn't it common knowledge?

I can certainly back it up from personal experience - "met" a girl online and subsequently discovered she was one of the regular stunning LBs from the middle of Bangla. Long story short - B2,000 down the pan, and I really should know better with my age and experience. Little brain took over!

On 12/5/2021 at 11:45 AM, London Lowf said:

Apart from stopping every now and then and peering into the bars (where you can clearly see punters still drinking) I've not once seen one of them get off his bike and actually do anything.

Correction - last night one got off his bike to take some photos of his colleagues!

• Haha 1

The winds of change.........

I've been on Phuket for just over two months and the weather has been predominantly rubbish and I have been caught out four times on Bangla and been forced into "distress purchases" of the nasty (but extremely effective) rain coats to make it home reasonably dry.

However, at the end of last week the predominant wind seemed to shift from westerly to easterly and the last few days have been pretty good with plenty of sunshine and blue skies. The downside is that the sewers are starting to stagnate and, for the first time this visit, last night I got that nostalgic aroma on a couple of occasions as I was walking along Bangla!

When I look around at the major road improvements made over the last 18 months (Beach Road, Rat-U-Tit, Third Road (in progress) and the Patong-Kamala road, how can the main night-time tourist hub on the entire island be left in this state?

Edited by London Lowf
To make it better.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

The winds of change.........

I've been on Phuket for just over two months and the weather has been predominantly rubbish and I have been caught out four times on Bangla and been forced into "distress purchases" of the nasty (but extremely effective) rain coats to make it home reasonably dry.

However, at the end of last week the predominant wind seemed to shift from easterly to westerly and the last few days have been pretty good with plenty of sunshine and blue skies. The downside is that the sewers are starting to stagnate and, for the first time this visit, last night I got that nostalgic aroma on a couple of occasions as I was walking along Bangla!

When I look around at the major road improvements made over the last 18 months (Beach Road, Rat-U-Tit, Third Road (in progress) and the Patong-Kamala road, how can the main night-time tourist hub on the entire island be left in this state?

Nothing surprising.  The "mess" is part and parcel of the experience of Patong all this while.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, xylophone said:

Couldn't organise a p!ss up in a brewery comes to mind.

I've seen this quote translated in a UK travel brochure as "Bustling with Character."  ????

Those grid frames on Nanai do look a wee bit slippy when wet and on a motosai...

• Like 2

Someone had a cunning plan......

Let's give the impression that Patong is thriving by having a street food market actually on Beach Road near the end of Bangla. It's already a bottleneck but we can make it even more congested by having folk walking all over the busiest street in Patong oggling the gastronomic offerings.

Plenty of room (and tents/tables already installed) on the beach taking up valuable bike parking spaces, but where's the fun in that - we'll just leave them unused.

All good practice for NYE - only 10% of the usual tourists, but I'm sure it will be mayhem.

You have to laugh......

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Someone had a cunning plan......

Let's give the impression that Patong is thriving by having a street food market actually on Beach Road near the end of Bangla. It's already a bottleneck but we can make it even more congested by having folk walking all over the busiest street in Patong oggling the gastronomic offerings.

Plenty of room (and tents/tables already installed) on the beach taking up valuable bike parking spaces, but where's the fun in that - we'll just leave them unused.

All good practice for NYE - only 10% of the usual tourists, but I'm sure it will be mayhem.

You have to laugh......

Glad to be back then! 

• Haha 1