Wondering why my kids get more stupid by going to school

Its been an opinion of mine that kids get more stupid, the more schooling they get within Thailand.

Im also dead against my eldest spending all day Saturday at school, as I think they need time to play and also shed some of the BS and peer pressure that they get in school.
Ive spoken to many teachers, many English teaching teachers, cant speak it well, many IT teachers, dont know what a LAN or network is... God forbid I ask a Math teacher about maths.

I also know that my 13 y/o has no idea about much of the world... Has no clue about Social Studies, very poor knowledge of Science and nearly devoid of any thought of future endeavors.... She wants to fly planes, then one day after the last big school break, she was back at school and a week later, she wants to cook cakes and sell them at the markets for a living ????

During School holidays she is intrigued by science, technology and so bright eyed

Back to school, she now has a vacant expression in her face, overly tired from the 6 day week and really taken a huge mental step backwards.

I feel guilty that I let it get this far, spoken to others who also see this as an issue, even having their kids in the big international schools.
Im sorting my stuff out now and prepping to leave this S-H with my family and get my kids in a school that teaches kids and lets them be kids.... My kids deserve better than what Thailand can offer, or what it resembles what it offers... Many of my mates with kids a bit younger or the same age as mine are suddenly all doing the same... I found that interesting that they are doing the same, roughly at the same time I am doing it...

Back to the purpose of my post :P
So I checked Wikipedia to see if Saturdays are compulsory... and came across this...

It is highly possible that Thailand's education system is harming student IQs.

Recent research

On 27 May 2015, the Ministry of Public Health released Thai student IQ survey results. They indicate that the IQ of Grade 1 students has dropped from 94 in 2011 to 93. The international standard is 100.[12]

It is highly possible that Thailand's education system is harming student IQs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Thailand

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The OP was edited for Fair Use.  

It's seldom that students are encouraged to ask questions or to think in the usual Thai classroom, so I am not surprised that there would be a drop in cognitive ability.  

My daughter is studying education at Bath Uni,  and I worry about the kids she ends up teaching!  I love her dearly,  but she does worry me sometimes with her lack of background knowledge that we older lot got at school back in the 70s.  It seems to be a generational thing.  Maybe your kids are being taught by such as her? 

I think it's because the government don't want people to be educated. Keep them from thinking, keep them in the dark, don't teach critical thinking skills. Then you have a population that's easy to control and manipulate for your own gain. (Thai) Buddhism doesn't help either. 

Thank you OP.

I have often wondered how the bright eyed and bushy tailed young Issan kids who delighted in chasing me and my putt putt motor scooter shouting"Hey Mr Teacher*-I speak English good!" became the glassy eyed,slack jawed and totally incurious 15 year olds destined for a life of complete apathy and ignorance in this village.

You seemed to have described the downwards spiral very well.

*I am not a schoolteacher but was an educator and trainer in a different field.I have had the opportunity to observe Thais that have been "trained" in my field and have been horrified at the result as they never seemed to have been taught how to analyse the results, think about them in any way or initiate a response-they merely pass them on to a "higher authority."

25 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

A responsible parent wouldn't be ranting on TV about

the poor education; he would be looking into better

schools, community programs in science and geography

as well as home schooling in subjects that his child

appears be be remiss in.  

just what I thought. Why don't you put down the bottle at night time and spend some time educating them yourself. Its not that hard. 

My son attended a kindergarten at age 4 which he really enjoyed. He returned for second year and was bored to bits because the class just repeated what was covered in the first year. Since that experience we have taken him out and I am home schooling him using an on line program which we purchased.

He has a solid 2hrs per day of one to one, plus he is constantly searching subjects online that catch his interest. He also has two piano lessons per week, the teacher is very strong with him, which he needs and he loves it.

There was a home schoolers group, but it seems to have closed.

My wife covers the Thai side.

I checked with the education dept and they accept home schooling as long as he does a test at each year end verified by a school.

It is the responsibility of every parent to participate in their children's upbringing. This includes their education.

Unfortunately it seems that after about grade 3 many of the parents I see here have difficulties in assisting with their child's homework.

A proper mixture of home schooling is recommended anywhere. Both my children receive constant review of current classroom studies along with additional studies at home covering current events, world sciences, and language. 

Leaving plenty of time for football, dance, cooking, and swimming. All extra curricular activities my children love. 

Just an FYI...I am more exhausted than my children at the end of the day. I am too old for this stuff now but I keep at it for my children.

The majority of Thai teachers are very poor at their jobs and the popular method is by rote .Your personal home tuition is essential to make up the shortcomings of a Thailand school education for your children.

23 minutes ago, gwynt said:

My son attended a kindergarten at age 4 which he really enjoyed. He returned for second year and was bored to bits because the class just repeated what was covered in the first year. Since that experience we have taken him out and I am home schooling him using an on line program which we purchased.

He has a solid 2hrs per day of one to one, plus he is constantly searching subjects online that catch his interest. He also has two piano lessons per week, the teacher is very strong with him, which he needs and he loves it.

I checked with the education dept and they accept home schooling as long as he does a test at each year end verified by a school.

Nice to see your son has two piano lessons per week. As an ex professional musician I am very interested in this.

Did your son show an interest in music? Did you notice that he had an ear for music which prompted you to send him for piano lessons.

I learned to play piano, bass guitar by ear, never had any music lessons, and although I know a lot about music, I cannot read it.

But I sure made a good living from it. I watched live bands in Pattaya, and was quite impressed by some of the musicians, although not so much the singers, and I never seemed to hear any of the singers sing in harmony with each other.

But good luck to your son, he could easily have a good enough education to work a normal job when he is older and play part time in the evenings, that's how I started.

2 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I think it's because the government don't want people to be educated. Keep them from thinking, keep them in the dark, don't teach critical thinking skills. Then you have a population that's easy to control and manipulate for your own gain. (Thai) Buddhism doesn't help either. 

Yes, so true also !

If you think you are wiser than the teachers......as i think i am......teach your children yourself.......as i do.

You dont speak,read nor write Thai?

As i did........learn it........as i did.

I travel 7 months around in europe and teach them twice a week, 5 months they attent a simple gov.school and then pass the exams......they are smarter than their teachers and help him when he makes a mistake.

They are 8 and 9 yrs.......speak 3 languages fluently ...

It is not fair to complain about the poor english of the teachers.....if you can master only 1 language yourself.....what must your kids think about you?

Who is the lazy one?

I speak 5 languages not learned in school.It is hard work to learn,yes.But it

helps you a lot in life.

If you speak only 3 languages.....you can have the best job you can dream of.

With only english, even in England,you

will find it hard to get a good job.

How your life is ,is the result of what you made of it.

Only my opinion , not mean to offend .

51 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Nice to see your son has two piano lessons per week. As an ex professional musician I am very interested in this.

Did your son show an interest in music? Did you notice that he had an ear for music which prompted you to send him for piano lessons.

I learned to play piano, bass guitar by ear, never had any music lessons, and although I know a lot about music, I cannot read it.

But I sure made a good living from it. I watched live bands in Pattaya, and was quite impressed by some of the musicians, although not so much the singers, and I never seemed to hear any of the singers sing in harmony with each other.

But good luck to your son, he could easily have a good enough education to work a normal job when he is older and play part time in the evenings, that's how I started.

My son showed an early interest in music, the kindergarten had harmonium lessons which he took to, then I discovered a local tuition class which teaches piano, violin and singing. his transfer to the piano was easy to him and he is taught how to read music as well.

They are a great class with three different teachers, all very good. The owner tells me she has taught piano since she was 13, so lots of experience.

Don't expect him to be a concert pianist but as long as he is enjoying it then we will continue.

Which school did he used to attend?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 hours ago, thhMan said:

Ive spoken to many teachers, many English teaching teachers, cant speak it well

I don't know much about the Thai schooling system but this i can confirm.

This year i did meet my GF's family and there were two english teachers  among them. When i spoke with them  their english was awful. Also made me think and worry about what and how they can teach their students.

And they also have the problem with my pronouncing: the tomeatto/tomoatto issue. Seems they have been learned to speak/teach American english they said. So if i sometimes pronounce a word the British way,  they have a problem understanding me. But this problem exists because Thai is also based on pronouncing and they are not teached to listen to the whole sentence to understand the meaning.

Second thing i can tell  is the fact that my GF's niece and nephew  ( she is 11 and he is 7) have to do home work untill 23h/midnight more then ones a week and even sometimes have to wake up earlier again to finish it in the morning before school.

And this is not because they are be lazy. They just get so much from their teachers.

But they are Lucky not have to go to school on Saturday.

4 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I agree with that...

I have a little bit to do with two schools here and the english teachers rarely talk to me for fear of looking stupid.  The directors try and only one is even remotely fluent.  

From what I'm seen, lack of student engagement has a major influence on their mental development.  Lessons aren't made to be fun, the students just have to memorize information to parrot back on tests.  

The teachers I've spoken to about this are well aware of the problems in the Thai education system but I think they feel they have little influence on what is being taught or how.  

I am surprised by many comments who try to shame the OP for being lazy, or even drunk!

If one sends his children to school, it is because they are supposed to receive a better education than if it was given by the parents.

In most countries, a maths or physics teacher, for example, knows more about these subjects than a father who might be a truck driver, or an insurance salesman.

Thus, parents rely on teachers to provide their children with knowledge they don't have.

Yet, if we follow the arguments of some of the above posters, why not do the same when it comes to doctors or dentists who, at least in some (vast) parts of the country, are far from being competent and reliable?

Should parents not only become teachers, but also dentists and doctors, in order to help their children?

Homeschooling, as far as I know, is forbidden in Thailand...I have seen families being visited by some administration because their children were not in school.

As for the suggestion of sending the children to private schools, well, it is not always that simple.

In my case, the closest private high school is 50 km away from home, not exactly easy...and there is no shuttle bus to pick up the children.

On top of that, there is the little issue of cost.

There are private schools and private schools.

Between 20,000 and 50,000 baht a year, the difference with public schools when it comes to teachers' qualifications are not always obvious.

At 300,000 baht a year, the differences are obvious, but then we are talking about serious money...

Personal opinion only.........the "younger" generation i.e 40 and below (while they are so busy developing their "career") seem to have developed an attitude that sending a child to school educates them and thus hand over all responsibility for their kids to the teacher (including full time day carer).,.. money paid - job done.

Unfortunately the "user pays" mindset is just that. You really do need to become not only a  parent but an educator as well. 

The old saying 'you reap what you sow' comes to mind.

3 hours ago, Foexie said:

I don't know much about the Thai schooling system but this i can confirm.

This year i did meet my GF's family and there were two english teachers  among them. When i spoke with them  their english was awful. Also made me think and worry about what and how they can teach their students.

And they also have the problem with my pronouncing: the tomeatto/tomoatto issue. Seems they have been learned to speak/teach American english they said. So if i sometimes pronounce a word the British way,  they have a problem understanding me. But this problem exists because Thai is also based on pronouncing and they are not teached to listen to the whole sentence to understand the meaning.

Second thing i can tell  is the fact that my GF's niece and nephew  ( she is 11 and he is 7) have to do home work untill 23h/midnight more then ones a week and even sometimes have to wake up earlier again to finish it in the morning before school.

And this is not because they are be lazy. They just get so much from their teachers.

But they are Lucky not have to go to school on Saturday.

Seriously? You are complaining about someone else's English!

Kettle calling the pot black springs to mind.

9 hours ago, Borzandy said:

How stupid are farangs who send their kids to a Thai school.

Perhaps they don't have a lot of choice. Not all of us are on big expat packages and can afford to send kids to the best international schools. 

Please stay on the topic and stop with the unnecessary, inflammatory remarks.  

The Thai curriculum is deficient in some areas, however, much of what is covered in most countries, is covered in Thailand.   There is a certain bias, but that is most likely true of most countries.  

The basic problem is that students are not encouraged to think; as a matter of fact, they are discouraged from thinking.   They learn mostly by rote, and questioning teachers is strongly discouraged.   The emphasis is on obedience and conformity.   Copying is encouraged; innovation is not.

Normal exploration of their environment is also discouraged.   They learn to sit for long periods of time and engage in menial tasks.   They learn to write beautifully, but say nothing.  

Archived