Damn Bangkok Taxies!!!

khunpa

5 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

People power can change these things , but there doesn't seem to be an appetite to tackle problems in Thailand.

Yes! You are spot on with that observation. 

This applies to thousands of things in Thailand that could be improved if the people only gave a toss. Very sad and frustrating to see how they just sit back and accept poor service and low quality of just about everything. 

Yes! You are spot on with that observation. 
This applies to thousands of things in Thailand that could be improved if the people only gave a toss. Very sad and frustrating to see how they just sit back and accept poor service and low quality of just about everything. 

Most of the locals don't use taxi because they have own cars. Even they use most probably the taxi driver will use meter. Only tourists and foreigners are easy targets.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Just open the door, say Sawatdee Krap, sit at the back, close the door, then announce your destination. If they refuse, take a video, and tell them you'll report them. It's as easy as it gets.

Theoretically, isn't it?......dream on....:cheesy:

The authorities simply don't care, thereby condoning the behaviour. If they were serious about it all they have to do is a concerted sting operation, not the one hour in one place once a year sting, and take away the license and arrest every driver who refused to use the meter or refused to go where you want to go. The old chestnut of too far/too much traffic/ending my shift soon doesn't wash. Somehow other countries manage.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

If you are having problems at the airports you are doing something wrong.

Last 40+ journeys not a problem using domestic and international ranks at both Bangkok airports. Quick, efficient and every one without fail has used the meter. One tried it on asking for a flat fare and I told him meter and that was that. 

The only time I encountered a rip-off was when a colleague (30+ year veteran and still clueless) took us up to DMK departures instead of using the rank. The driver then said he would use the meter and then when we were loaded up and on the way it was the 'meter broken' scam. We ended up giving him 300thb to Mor Chit.

That's because you are a priest and they are terrified of you ! ( Ha! )

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Just open the door, say Sawatdee Krap, sit at the back, close the door, then announce your destination. If they refuse, take a video, and tell them you'll report them. It's as easy as it gets.

until he pulls a machete

IMHO it seems to be Bangkok taxi drivers that are problematical - I've never had an issue in Chiang Mai.

I usually land at Suvarnabhunmi, stay overnight then go back to the airport to catch the free bus to Don Muang. There are always taxis at the hotel trying to persuade me to use their taxis to get to Don Muang instead - 700 - 900 baht.

One time I was feeling lazy, so I opted for the taxi. Big mistake. He opted for dodging all the expressway tolls via side-streets, and I barely caught my flight - about 4 hours travel instead of two. Never again.

6 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

There is a taxi radio channel that deals with complains and stuff all day long. The people that call in to complain are all Thais.

I don't know how so many of the posters here have problems with Bangkok taxis, whenever I use them I never have a bother. 

Must be something to do with the way you guys are interacting or dealing with them. 

Don't get them outside major tourist areas.

Don't use the ones parked on the street.

Flag down a moving taxi with the red light in the window.

Ask destination and don't get arsey if they say no. They might be on shift change or not know where they are going. Flag down another.

If they roll down the window wave them on.

If they ask a flat fare wave them on.

If they agree get in and remain quiet. The driver will run the meter.

Now is the time to ask for special instructions like using the expressway or stopping at 7/11 etc.

Really, it's pretty simple stuff. 

You say getting a taxi is simple stuff, but you then list 9 lines of things to do to avoid trouble... 

When in fact the only thing to do in a taxi is a list of 1....  'get in a give your destination'...  the rest should be automatic for the driver - this is the issue. 

Edited by richard_smith237

17 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Never bother taking a parked taxi - pretty much always want off meter. Walk away to a busy road and flag one down.

I second that.

That is the no.1 rule that applies ANYWHERE on this planet when trying to get a Cab in 3rd world / developing country

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You say getting a taxi is simple stuff, but you then list 9 lines of things to do to avoid trouble... 

When in fact the only thing to do in a taxi is a list of 1....  'get in a give your destination'...  the rest should be automatic for the driver - this is the issue. 

id say almost all of his points are simple common sense. 

i cant remember the last time i had an issue with a bangkok cab

17 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Never bother taking a parked taxi - pretty much always want off meter. Walk away to a busy road and flag one down.

As a rule, I agree, with one exception:  If you want a guy to take you somewhere, sit there for hours waiting for you, then take you back to your point of origin-  and you don't mind paying for the service.  I loved the guys sitting outside my hotel when I first moved to BKK.  It cost me, but I learned a lot about the city.  And they were either decent guys, or smart enough to treat their customer (me) pretty nicely.

After a few months, I got settled into a permanent apartment across town and bought a pickup for any out of town jaunts- and I have avoided their kind ever since.