ceiling fan electricity costs 3 speed

notrub

I have a standard ceiling fan with 3 speeds on a chain pull switch.  This is a mechanical not electronic switch. Question is, do all speeds cost the same?  With light dimmer switches electricity is consumed equally even on very low illumination, I am told.  Is the consumption on these fans less when just slowly turning?  Or is it equal on all.  Make is Carini I think, from home pro.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.

For most purposes you can consider an equal demand for all speeds.  Unless you have 100's of them, the electrical consumption of fans is not going to be a significant part of the bill - if that is your concern.

Yeah, fans are a peculiar load, something to do with the fan itself being a cube-law load.

I actually did some tests with a stand fan a while back, the power-factor changed quite a bit but the actual wattage remained remarkably constant over the speed range.

Reckon on 100-150W for most of them.

By the way, a triac dimmer on a regular light bulb will reduce its consumption, but again it's not a linear relationship as the filament resistance changes (a lot) with temperature.