Can you refuse DHL delivery ?

JohnnyBKK

Hello,

I think that tomorrow my DHL delivery will be re-evalued by thai customs and the price tag to clear it out will be too expensive. Can I refuse the shipment ? If yes what will happen ? Will they send it back to the sender ?

The thing is I bought some stuff and I don't have the invoices, the declared value is way under the local value. I believe the taxes will be too high and its best to abandon the package.

Regards,

Usually as per customs regulations in many parts of the world, the seller is required to include a commercial invoice inside the package.

And if there is no invoice or declared value in the parcel, why not ask the seller to email you one?

DHL will have an invoice of declared value from the sender. Thai Customs wouldn't have a clue what is the local value. I expect they would just accept the declared value particularly if the goods are not very expensive.

Just now, janclaes47 said:

I heard they have Google at the Thai customs department these days, and they know very well how to use it.

Customs departments all over the world don't have the manpower, money, or the inclination to check every import, or even the great bulk of them - the cost would be prohibitive as import tariffs on most things are generally very low. Customs Dept main focus is on drugs, weapons, plants and animal products that might spread diseases etc.

5 minutes ago, Saladin said:

Customs departments all over the world don't have the manpower, money, or the inclination to check every import, or even the great bulk of them - the cost would be prohibitive as import tariffs on most things are generally very low. Customs Dept main focus is on drugs, weapons, plants and animal products that might spread diseases etc.

Then explain to me why 4 remote controls valued at $20 total on the accompanying commercial invoice, and shipped by DHL to Thailand, were withheld by Thai customs and valued at $100.

Since I disputed this valuation I was asked to provide proof of payment for the goods.

There are many examples posted on this forum where Thai customs don't accept the value declared on the invoice.

Yes you can and you should . I have done this a few times as DHL Thailand and Thai customs are a bunch of scammers working together to rip good people off. Disgusting corrupt behaviour and nobody should accept it. 

Return to sender, every time. 

Never use DHL for anything here. I always check who companies use and if they say DHL I tell them use another way or I wont buy the items.

Been charged 50% of the value before for some clothes from UK . That was the last time they ever seen any money from me !!

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

Then explain to me why 4 remote controls valued at $20 total on the accompanying commercial invoice, and shipped by DHL to Thailand, were withheld by Thai customs and valued at $100.

Since I disputed this valuation I was asked to provide proof of payment for the goods.

There are many examples posted on this forum where Thai customs don't accept the value declared on the invoice.

Not only the Thai customs don't accept it. But if you show they the payment slip they can proof it. And in normal they believe it.

The most shippings from china have a much more lower value on the package as you paid in real. 

The Customs are not stupid.

The only carrier I have used in Thailand that has either not issued a LARGE import tax, or at least a reasonable one,, is Thai Post,, all the other shippers, Thai customs will NAIL you on import taxes,, EVEN if you supply them with an accurate, honest invoice as to the items actual value,, they are thieves,,, I had a watch I returned to the sender for repair, After repair, the sender used Fed-Ex to return it to me, They included a receipt for the repairs, and what was done,, Thai Customs hit me with a HUGE import tax for it because they claimed it was undervalued,, $300,000 Baht import tax,,,, it was accurately declared, I included a retail price for it, a copy of my invoice, from receiving it originally thru Thai Post, with the Thai post's import tax on it I had paid,, as well as an original receipt from Thai post when I shipped it back to the supplier to be repaired, with the declared value on the receipt when I shipped it back, proving to them that it was already in Thailand, and was a personally owned item, They only saw $$$ and wanted it,,, I had to go back to the Customs department at Swampy 4 times, to argue it, they kept lowering the amount, I asked if I refused it, would it be sent back?, they claimed that it would NEVER be returned, to the sender, at first, that it would be destroyed, So I said I wanted to watch them destroy it, or proof of it being destroyed as in a smashed up watch,, because I KNEW it would end up on the wrist of a Thai customs agent otherwise, and told them that,,, They then claimed it would be returned to the shipper, I asked for a receipt to PROVE it had been shipped back, so I could provide that to the shipper, "No, can not do" So I asked how could I be SURE it would either be destroyed, or returned, I only got sheepish smiles from them, On the 4th trip to Swampy, I took my Thai wife with me,, SHE ended up getting into a slightly heated argument with them over it,, She ended up getting them to drop the imported value down to the amount that I had paid when it was shipped thru Thai Post,,  $1600 Baht,, which even then was wrong, as it had already been paid the 1st time,, ONLY use Thai Post, EMS when shipping items in,,, 

two items I have has sent by fed ex, a pair of work boots(not available in Thailand) that cost me $30 and had to pay the same again to get them from customs and a garden claw, again not available here but I need one with my buggered spine, cost $35 and they charged me 1200 baht to get it, had no choice as I cant do much without it. These days I will not buy if fed ex is used, they are simply rip offs.

I worked 20 years in the air freight industry. You are certainly welcome to refuse the shipment.

If the package is coming from the vendor you bought from and not an intermediary 3rd party (like a package shipped to a relative first and forwarded to you), you will likely stand liable for freight in both directions AND any duty & tax levied by the Thai Customs department.

If it is coming from a third party, you can refuse it, it will be returned and the 3rd party sending it will stand liable for freight charges. My suggestion is bite the bullet and accept charges.

My wife and I are currently in the US on vacation. We sent some COACH brand bags as gifts for family. Thai Customs wanted to assess duty and tax on the full retail. When we produced documents from the store showing actual price paid, duty dropped to just under B600.00. Keep those invoices...they can become your best friend.

8 hours ago, Saladin said:

Sorry but this is nonsense.  

Customs departments in many countries around the world can and do check the value of arriving goods against online commercially recognised valuations

Thailand included.

My personal experience and opinion.

A number of years ago, I send from the States, a few bottles of Vitamins, the cost was no more than 30 USD, I used FedEx.. because I get a 90% discount on the shipping so I experimented. When it got to Thailand they wanted 2,000 baht to release the shipment. I told them no thanks you can have it, they sounded happy that I said no?

Don't confuse value with price. What you pay for an item and what the declared value actually is may not be the value for assessment purposes by Thai customs. You can challenge the assessed value. I have done this successfully but had to provide invoices etc

Any assessment of duty, tax and fees is in the interest of the courier company because they will charge you for collecting on behalf of the government. Bear in mind that duty and fees is assessed on the total value including shipping. The minimum shipping charge of some companies exceeds the threshold at which duty and fees start meaning that even if the value of the item(s) were zero then you may still pay just on shipping charge alone. 

Courier companies charge a handling fee for collecting and paying duty/taxes/fees to the government.  The handling fee is subject to VAT. 

Anything you import by courier is subject to the following: 

(Item value + shipping charge = Total price)

You will pay:

Total price

+Import duty 

+VAT

+Handling charge

+VAT on handling charge

I worked out that to buy a football shirt from a particular English club's website, including the above fees/charges,  it would cost me £89.92 and that is based on an original shirt price of £37.00. Obviously one of the reasons why there are so many fake shirts on sale here. 

On 6/28/2017 at 8:54 PM, Adeeos said:

The only carrier I have used in Thailand that has either not issued a LARGE import tax, or at least a reasonable one,, is Thai Post,, all the other shippers, Thai customs will NAIL you on import taxes,, EVEN if you supply them with an accurate, honest invoice as to the items actual value,, they are thieves,,, I had a watch I returned to the sender for repair, After repair, the sender used Fed-Ex to return it to me, They included a receipt for the repairs, and what was done,, Thai Customs hit me with a HUGE import tax for it because they claimed it was undervalued,, $300,000 Baht import tax,,,, it was accurately declared, I included a retail price for it, a copy of my invoice, from receiving it originally thru Thai Post, with the Thai post's import tax on it I had paid,, as well as an original receipt from Thai post when I shipped it back to the supplier to be repaired, with the declared value on the receipt when I shipped it back, proving to them that it was already in Thailand, and was a personally owned item, They only saw $$$ and wanted it,,, I had to go back to the Customs department at Swampy 4 times, to argue it, they kept lowering the amount, I asked if I refused it, would it be sent back?, they claimed that it would NEVER be returned, to the sender, at first, that it would be destroyed, So I said I wanted to watch them destroy it, or proof of it being destroyed as in a smashed up watch,, because I KNEW it would end up on the wrist of a Thai customs agent otherwise, and told them that,,, They then claimed it would be returned to the shipper, I asked for a receipt to PROVE it had been shipped back, so I could provide that to the shipper, "No, can not do" So I asked how could I be SURE it would either be destroyed, or returned, I only got sheepish smiles from them, On the 4th trip to Swampy, I took my Thai wife with me,, SHE ended up getting into a slightly heated argument with them over it,, She ended up getting them to drop the imported value down to the amount that I had paid when it was shipped thru Thai Post,,  $1600 Baht,, which even then was wrong, as it had already been paid the 1st time,, ONLY use Thai Post, EMS when shipping items in,,, 

I was under the impression that you needed to provide documentation and fill out forms when you export for repair not fight customs on the import.

It is quite possible that you ignored the law and they were simply doing their job?

25 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

I was under the impression that you needed to provide documentation and fill out forms when you export for repair not fight customs on the import.

It is quite possible that you ignored the law and they were simply doing their job?

Or quite possible that I trusted my local PO when they said,  "No need, keep this shipping paper",,, when I asked about it,,,  Are you aware of a different Customs department, that the Thai Post goes thru, as opposed to one that DHL, Fed-EX, UPS goes through?... I'm not,, and as I stated, I received it through Thai Post, and paid a $1600 Baht import tax,,However coming through Fed-Ex, is was $300,000,,, Google is your friend,,, there's several threads out there, stating exactly as I've done,,, 

Edited by Adeeos

On 28.06.2017 at 9:39 AM, janclaes47 said:

hum...so it seems that the best option is to carry your shopping stuff with you in your own luggage when flying back to Thailand?

If the corrupt Thai customs don't accept the invoice, an alternative if they make a fuss and refuse to give your stuff without a large tax fee, could be tto go to their office and destroy or see the goods being destroyed in front of you??....and if possible to have a body cam to film the corrupt thieves?

On 6/28/2017 at 10:28 PM, JacChang said:

Always select local post office delivery method. NEVER DHL or FedEx. The hassle free experience is worth the wait.

While I have had good experience with Thai Post in BKK, some of my friends in BKK and especially in the boondocks have had problems with packages gone missing.

When it works, international postal agreements minimize the cost of clearing customs through the Post Office as opposed to commercial carriers like UPS, FedEx and DHL.  You just have to weigh the risk of a missing package against the risk (certainty?) of getting hosed on import fees.