PM Prayut plays down notion that political party be set up to support him

webfact

PM plays down notion that political party be set up to support him
By The Nation

2441eca788b8db5a505a76bb9177fbd1.jpeg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Tuesday appeared to rule out a suggestion that a political party be established to support him, saying he was only thinking about how the country should be run under the new Constitution and had no time to focus on politics.

A Nida Poll early this week found that more than 50 per cent of respondents were in favour of a new party to be formed to support Prayut’s government. 

“For now, I think neither about forming a party nor forming a [future] government. I only think about how to administrate the country after the new charter came into effect. So I cannot focus on politics,” he said after the weekly Cabinet meeting.

“Don’t worry whether I will stay on, or how. What I do today will decide what I should do next. We need to expect positive things. I want to thank both those who support me and those who do not support me,” he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30319293

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-28

There would be little point in setting up a new political party.

He and his junta are doing their best to ensure that political parties will be irrelevant and impotent in their bright new green world.

No time to focus on politics?  You can say that again with subs, tanks and drawing up a military list to purchase from the U.S.  Writing poetry, songs and screen plays then it is covering up singers, closing bars.  Doesn't leave anytime for politics and being P.M

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Tuesday appeared to rule out a suggestion that a political party be established to support him

Prayut certainly didn't need a political party when he became PM. Troops, guns and tanks make for a strong electorate.

But if a political party was necessary, there's always the support from the ingratiated Democrats and Suthp's Muan Maha Prachachon for Reform Foundation looking for another sniff of government power.