International DL to Thai license

Martouf

2 minutes ago, Martouf said:

I will need to check - my friend got it in Germany before he came back to Thailand. I am assuming it is an international dl as it appears the same as the U.K. version

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as an IDL , only a IDP, but if he has a current driver's licence, which he must have to get an IDP, he can get a 2 year Thai licence , but he just has to do the colour test, reaction and perception tests.

Edited by giddyup

Not sure about European , but I got my Thai car licence in Pattaya . I year visa , proof of residence from immigration, medical , with my Australian licence . 100 baht medical 130 baht for licence plus watch a one hour video. I did this 2 weeks ago . Plus 300 bath for immigration certificate. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Not sure about European , but I got my Thai car licence in Pattaya . I year visa , proof of residence from immigration, medical , with my Australian licence . 100 baht medical 130 baht for licence plus watch a one hour video. I did this 2 weeks ago . Plus 300 bath for immigration certificate. Hope this helps.

Thanks - I thought you may have to watch the video now. The other documentation is not a problem

I got mine ( 2 year license ) this year in January.
With a European driving license ( uk )
IDP ( international driving permit)
Residence certificate
Medical certificate
3 tests ( colour, reaction and depth perception )

The IDP is basically only a translation of driving license into English.

If you have a Europe DL only in German I think you will have to watch the video and possibly ( possibly I said ) have to do the physical driving test .

Many threads about this and many different results from different DLT's

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I got mine ( 2 year license ) this year in January.
With a European driving license ( uk )
IDP ( international driving permit)
Residence certificate
Medical certificate
3 tests ( colour, reaction and depth perception )

The IDP is basically only a translation of driving license into English.

If you have a Europe DL only in German I think you will have to watch the video and possibly ( possibly I said ) have to do the physical driving test .

Many threads about this and many different results from different DLT's

You never had to watch the video...?

I have an Australian drivers licence and took it to the transport department along with a medical certificate and my work permit and got the Thai licence after doing the the 3 tests and watching the video. 

I tried doing it in Samui but they started making things difficult by asking for a letter from the consulate to certify it as being genuine so just went to Surat instead and they accepted my licence without all that crap.

You never had to watch the video...?

Nope !
Although I will admit that there was a video playing in the waiting room/test room but nobody was actually watching it .
In Pathum Thani there are a row of desks where you present your documents and about 4 rows of 20 chairs facing these desks . The TV is behind these chairs !!
Then the testing chair where the 3 tests are done is of to the side.
So people are sat waiting their turn at the desks or watching people do their tests.
The video is playing in the background to an audience of none !!, but I guess that fulfills the requirements needed to educate people on the Thai driving laws.

The document issued in Germany has no English title.

The German description would translate as "driving license" no matter what the English distinguish between terms. Let's use IDP.

It's an official document from the citizens office that governs the driving licenses.

I assume your friend has am IDP based on "1968" treaty (you see that on the front page) and it's valid for three years.

Thailand has not joined this 1968 treaty but still uses the "1949, Geneva" version.

Document valid for one year only.

So I would dispute that he got the same as UK (which is "1949").

In 2011 I had no problem at my DLT to convert the German IDP  to a Thai DL without theory/driving test.

I have read a single report that in Chonburi/Pattaya some nitpicker recently refused it.

So it might depend where you go.

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Nope !
Although I will admit that there was a video playing in the waiting room/test room but nobody was actually watching it .
In Pathum Thani there are a row of desks where you present your documents and about 4 rows of 20 chairs facing these desks . The TV is behind these chairs !!
Then the testing chair where the 3 tests are done is of to the side.
So people are sat waiting their turn at the desks or watching people do their tests.
The video is playing in the background to an audience of none !!, but I guess that fulfills the requirements needed to educate people on the Thai driving laws.

Blimey you were lucky......Where I am everyone had to watch it, in fact a book was passed round during the thing, we had to write our name in it  and sign it as proof we watched it....:sad:

4 hours ago, transam said:

Blimey you were lucky......Where I am everyone had to watch it, in fact a book was passed round during the thing, we had to write our name in it  and sign it as proof we watched it....:sad:

How inconsiderate of them having to wake you up. :laugh:

42 minutes ago, Martouf said:

Unfortunately Nong Khai won't accept the 1968 DP

Not surprised, it's 50 years old. Doesn't he have a current home country licence?

1 hour ago, Martouf said:

Of course he does - they are insisting on the 1949 international driving permit issued based on the Geneva Convention

AFAIK a current home country drivers licence is sufficient. I'm pretty sure I got my first Thai licence with my then current Aussie licence.

Edited by giddyup