Court rejects Yingluck’s request for court to examine rice warehouses

webfact

Court rejects Yingluck’s request for court to examine rice warehouses

f78deb1e7b87b35ed82d8a1b5ca69c57.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The rice-pledging case involving the embattled former premier Yingluck Shinawatra is almost at an end as the court on Thursday rejected her request for it to examine 16 rice warehouses in Ang Thong which stored rice during her administration.

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions said it was not necessary as rice could deteriorate over time and it had been two years since it was stored. 

A few witnesses testified today in the 13th round of hearings with the court scheduled to rule on the case after two more rounds of hearings in July. The next court date is set for July 7.

Yingluck has been charged with negligence for failing to prevent corruption in the scheme. 

The scheme allegedly wasted about Bt500 billion of the state budget. Yingluck has been charged in a criminal case and told to pay compensation of Bt35 billion.

At the trial, two relatives of farmers who committed suicide in Roi Et and Nonthaburi provinces testified on her behalf, saying the farmers killed themselves for personal reasons.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30319484

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-30

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, webfact said:

At the trial, two relatives of farmers who committed suicide in Roi Et and Nonthaburi provinces testified on her behalf, saying the farmers killed themselves for personal reasons.

Relative who, at the time of the suicides blamed them on the fact that they hadn't been paid for their rice. Shameful and disgusting to use the dead for their own purposes.

A court searching for the truth, should want to examine all the facts and all the evidence. If Yinglucks team felt it important to physically see the warehouses, they undoubtedly had a reason for that. One has to suspect given the courts refusal that the verdict is a foregone conclusion and one that does not bode well for the former PM.

23 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

A court searching for the truth, should want to examine all the facts and all the evidence. If Yinglucks team felt it important to physically see the warehouses, they undoubtedly had a reason for that. One has to suspect given the courts refusal that the verdict is a foregone conclusion and one that does not bode well for the former PM.

I wonder if their reason was:

'look at this warehouse, everything perfect, therefore all warehouses are perfect, so overall there's no problem about anything, therefore dismiss the case.'

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

Wonder why there would be a problem in opening the doors of a few rice warehouses. Maybe someone is worried about what might be found, or more likely not found.

Absolutely and the lies and the Juntas cronies would be found out for what they really are.   Rice is not the only thing in Thailand that is rotten and should be thrown away.

"allegedly wasted about Bt500 billion of the state budget." " told to pay compensation of Bt35 billion."

well it looks like she is getting off on the cheap,that is if they ever find out where she has squirreled

her assets away.or maybe her brother will step up and help her pay,after all she was only following his orders.

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Relative who, at the time of the suicides blamed them on the fact that they hadn't been paid for their rice. Shameful and disgusting to use the dead for their own purposes.

Shameful and disgusting that the farmers had not been paid for their rice, thanks to a scheme that was obviously mathematically unsustainable, and designed purely to obtain the votes of people who were clearly unable to see the impossibility of such a scheme actually working properly.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Sure searching for the truth is admirable.. however do you think the warehouses are not in the same state as 2 years ago ? Rice at the same levels and so on. ? its nothing more then a show to show a few good warehouses so it looks not so bad. 

Edited by robblok

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

"allegedly wasted about Bt500 billion of the state budget." " told to pay compensation of Bt35 billion."

well it looks like she is getting off on the cheap,that is if they ever find out where she has squirreled

her assets away.or maybe her brother will step up and help her pay,after all she was only following his orders.

regards worgeordie

Where is the evidence of this 500 billion baht being loss via the rice scheme? In fact where are any of the figures audited and documented?

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Sure searching for the truth is admirable.. however do you think the warehouses are not in the same state as 2 years ago ? Rice at the same levels and so on. ? its nothing more then a show to show a few good warehouses so it looks not so bad. 

It can still be quantified to the condition over time. It happens all over the world. Even with wheat.

2 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

You have any evidence that it were the relatives who put the blame on the government for the suicides, or were it the people who couldn't get elected and wanted to be in power anyway?

1 minute ago, Chris Lawrence said:

It can still be quantified to the condition over time. It happens all over the world. Even with wheat.

Do show me how that is done.. and do explain why these warehouses are the ones.. maybe they are the best... how about going to those where the fraud and the rotting rice was. 

Do show me how that is done.. and do explain why these warehouses are the ones.. maybe they are the best... how about going to those where the fraud and the rotting rice was. 

Why do I have to educate you on what is out there even on the net. Produce like this is stored for years. Its value will reduce over time if properly stored. Come on its a bit juvenile to be asking such stupid questions.

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just to prove a point:

"When dry long-grain, jasmine or sushi rice is stored at a lower temperature, it retains its taste and nutritional value for up to 30 years, according to Utah State University Extension. However, even at 70 F, each of these types of rice can be safely stored, and retain its value, for up to 10 years."

Just now, Chris Lawrence said:

Why do I have to educate you on what is out there even on the net. Produce like this is stored for years. Its value will reduce over time if properly stored. Come on its a bit juvenile to be asking such stupid questions.

Not really you seem to ask similar questions quite often when it suits you. 

All i see is YL delaying.. but it wont help her.. her own actions have sealed her doom. Plenty of proof of rotten rice out there.. and now that it is all cleaned up she wants to go to good warehouses to discredit it. What a horrible woman, not accepting what she has done and how she even though she was in charge denied the rotting rice.. wanted to have to police go after the democrat who brought the rotting rice instead of going after the root of the problem. Bad rice storage because of a program that was not thought out. at all. 

Just now, Chris Lawrence said:

Just to prove a point:

"When dry long-grain, jasmine or sushi rice is stored at a lower temperature, it retains its taste and nutritional value for up to 30 years, according to Utah State University Extension. However, even at 70 F, each of these types of rice can be safely stored, and retain its value, for up to 10 years."

Yes, i know rice can be stored well.. however not in the average storage that was available during the period.. Now selecting the best ones for inspection is of course nothing more then a diversion. Do you really think that the warehouses were all up to it.. given they never had to hold so much rice and everything was done to store it in all ways.. and we know how it goes in Thailand.

Yes, i know rice can be stored well.. however not in the average storage that was available during the period.. Now selecting the best ones for inspection is of course nothing more then a diversion. Do you really think that the warehouses were all up to it.. given they never had to hold so much rice and everything was done to store it in all ways.. and we know how it goes in Thailand.

It suit' you to make a unjustified claim when u want it your way.

As an accountant you know what an audit is. But you dismiss this in a situation that may reveal what is going on. How would you audit this situation?

Again as an accountant you can't justify the figure of loss so you run with the crowd. Why?

I am just being objective where as you are being obtuse.

8 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

It suit' you to make a unjustified claim when u want it your way.

As an accountant you know what an audit is. But you dismiss this in a situation that may reveal what is going on. How would you audit this situation?

Again as an accountant you can't justify the figure of loss so you run with the crowd. Why?

I am just being objective where as you are being obtuse.

I would not audit this situation a few years after the fact. That would be a waste of time unless everything was in the situation it was before. The audits have been made and should be trusted. It showed rotting rice. You can't audit 2 years later and think you can recreate the situation it was then. Rice will have been removed.. and moved.. rotting rice will have been cleaned. Unless the warehouse would have a real good accounting system of where everything was stored and moved (and I highly doubt that here) its worthless. 

YL just wants to show off warehouses that are now in good shape no longer overloaded. I don't know where you were when all the pictures and stories about he rotting rice were available. But there were countless. That is enough proof things go wrong and capture the moment. The situation now is totally different. She knows that and wants to act like things were good. I am happy they did not let her get away with such a perversion of justice. Its nothing more then a delaying tactic, I for one am happy it did not work.

Edited by robblok

3 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Isn't it fascinating how the truth alway emerges over time.

What will be in the public domain 10 - 20 years from now regarding the actions of this Junta?

1 minute ago, halloween said:

At least 2 of the outstanding charges are financial crimes. The KTB loan case (just under B1 billion) and the Myanmar loan to buy Shinsat services are clearly conflicts of interest and corruption. How do you classify attempted prosecution of these clear abuses of office as political persecution? Let me guess, somebody else did it too. http://www.smh.com.au/world/thai-court-to-hear-new-thaksin-charges-20080730-3n7e.html

Whenever I hear that investigators are military backed like the Asset Examination Committee (AEC) or NACC, I have reservation on their credibility and honesty. 

Credibility and honesty in politics. Interesting idea - even coming from countries where the most basic concepts involve increasing transparency, being the first person to volunteer to empty out your pockets if someone says they lost 100 baht...

This country is about never needing to prove your integrity or honesty.

Anyone questioning it is breaking the law.

Everyone that knows better also knows better than to reveal the truth.

The truth is protected by law.

If this makes sense, I must apologise - it isn't meant to.

Edited by ben2talk
edit

6 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Whenever I hear that investigators are military backed like the Asset Examination Committee (AEC) or NACC, I have reservation on their credibility and honesty. 

I'm sure they would say the same of you.

10 minutes ago, Smarter Than You said:

Isn't it fascinating how the truth alway emerges over time.

What will be in the public domain 10 - 20 years from now regarding the actions of this Junta?

What truth? Who can say what was going through a suicide's mind, or that financial difficulties weren't a contributing factor?

The facts are... that no serving US president or UK prime Minister or any OTHER country's ex- elected leader are prosecuted, not for corruption, but 'dereliction of duty'. This is not about rice it's a political payback.

Whether you love or hate her she was elected and that empowers her, and her government, to make DECISIONS and some will be good and some bad just like every other country leader. For the following 'government' to come in and say 'we don't like that' is totally absurd.  

2 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

He hasn't been convicted of these crimes yet has he?

Clearly guilty before proven so in your eyes which exposes your bias.

Nothing more to be said. 

Without red glasses I can clearly see the evidence as presented, with them apparently you can only see a lack of conviction because the defendant is a fugitive. do you deny the actions involved were criminal, or just stick to your excuse?

BTW there was nothing about the land purchase evidence that was "flimsy". A government official bought a government owned asset, an act illegal in most countries AFAIK.