One dead, 26 injured in bus crash at notorious Phuket hill

webfact

One dead, 26 injured in bus crash at notorious Phuket hill

Chutharat Plerin

1498747249_1-org.jpg

The crash happened at 8pm tonight. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A bus crash on Phuket’s notorious Patong Hill has left one motorcyclist dead and 26 people injured police have confirmed.

Maj Ekkarat Plaiduang, chief of the Patong Traffic Police has confirmed to a The Phuket News reporter that the incident happened at around 8pm tonight (June 29).

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/one-dead-26-injured-in-bus-crash-at-notorious-phuket-hill-62776.php  

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-06-30

44 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

And it will be more talk about banning coaches from the hill route. But just all talk and no real action.

It is bad enough as it is at the moment with many buses forced to take the Karon or Kamala route during daytime.

Until Thai bus/truck drivers learn and understand the art of changing down to a appropriate gear for the descent these accidents/ murders are going to continue.  I have been driving heavy Buses/trucks for over 40 years so I know what I'm talking about. 

So many of the buses are simply not suitable for use in Phuket. How often are you stuck behind a bus struggling to get up a hill? Most have the turning circle of a jumbo jet, causing hold-ups when they either turn right or, of course, being Thailand, make a u-turn. Others have smoke belching out of the back. And of course, there's the brake issue, whether or not this is the real reason for an accident or not. 

They should be maintained tested regularly and taken off the road if they fail. But being Thailand, that would be overcome with a brown envelope. 

3 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Too bad there's not a competency test that drivers have to pass.  Put them through a number of simulations, mandatory hours and hours of practice under emergency situations.........................  Wait, wrong country.

There is a test Bus driver must sit you know before they can drive a bus 

Goes like this

1 What is the  Vehicle you want to drive  1/ a car 2/ a bus 3/ a motorcycle Drivers answer  a car  Pass

2 What is the bus used for  1/ Carrying people 2/ Carrying elephants 3/ Carrying Stray dogs   Drivers answer  Carrying stray dogs Pass

3 Do you know how to drive a bus 1/No 2/Yes 3/ Maybe  Drivers answer Maybe Pass

4 What colour is the bus u want to drive 1/ Blue 2/Red/3/ White  Drivers answer Blue Wrong you are colour blind but thats ok Its white

Ok you pass away u go

8 hours ago, Deli said:

Blame the brakes again. Switzerland has by far more mountainous roads than Phuket, never read of break failures though...

Muppets !

Maybe in reality it is brake failure. I suspect what happens is at the top of the hill some drivers throws the gears into neutral to "save" fuel and "rest" the engine on the downhill run and then ride the brakes hard all the way down until brake fade occurs and the bus crashes. Thus brake failure did officially occur. And the driver, if he still alive, is left scratching his stupid head.

I am sure that practice does not occur in Switzerland or most other countries. 

11 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

I was certainly under the impression that buses were banned from this hill road.

I think during the day buses are banned there, but after 6 or 7 PM and before 7 or 8 or so they are allowed.

9 hours ago, keeniau96 said:

I know this particular hill and road all too well. Never drive behind a bus uphill or down, best to avoid the drive altogether.

Uphill yes but downhill i prefer the bus in front of me and not i infront of a bus with breakfailure.