Airlines risk fines, losing access to U.S. for failure to follow new security rules

webfact

Airlines risk fines, losing access to U.S. for failure to follow new security rules

tag-reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO -- Passengers use their laptops on a flight out of John F. Kennedy (JFK) International Airport in New York, U.S., May 26, 2017. Picture taken May 26, 2017. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson/File Photo

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Airlines that do not comply with a U.S. directive for enhanced security measures on inbound international flights risk fines, losing access to U.S. airspace and having their certificates to operate flights to the country revoked, a high-ranking Department of Homeland Security official said on Thursday.

The official confirmed that the mandate will not be funded by the U.S. government and pushed back on an industry complaint that the process to create new regulations had not been coordinated closely enough with airlines, calling the charge "just not accurate."

(Reporting by Alana Wise; Editing by Phil Berlowitz)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-30

Interesting.....travellers will get fed up with the hassle and will start to boycott trips to the USA and spend their money elsewhere....pity....nice countrysides and skylines with a good proportion of nice, decent people...

Edited by observer90210

Also, note that the laptop ban may very well be amended (and this was not mentioned in the little snippet of an article here): it's may not just affect laptops in the cabin on flights heading for the US, but in checked luggage as well---no laptops whatsoever.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-depth/us-politics/tough-new-security-measures-for-flights-to-the-us/news-story/b0c350dd31061cc5b72e1ceae81199b7

50 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Interesting.....travellers will get fed up with the hassle and will start to boycott trips to the USA and spend their money elsewhere....pity....nice countrysides and skylines with a good proportion of nice, decent people...

I did that long, long ago, after the constant brainwashing I saw and heard after 9/11. Then had an x-ray machine flag the silver paper on a pack of mints as a security risk. If security can't tell the difference between paper and explosives........

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I did that long, long ago, after the constant brainwashing I saw and heard after 9/11. Then had an x-ray machine flag the silver paper on a pack of mints as a security risk. If security can't tell the difference between paper and explosives........

So I guess those X-ray machines in Asia and Europe can tell the difference?   I'd be surprised, they sure flag a cigarette pack.   

Just now, Credo said:

So I guess those X-ray machines in Asia and Europe can tell the difference?   I'd be surprised, they sure flag a cigarette pack.   

perhaps not as most of those machines in Asia or Europe come from the USA...

You can't blame the US for taking such action, given muslims are the ones causing many of the problems  around the globe. It's just a shame that spineless EU doesn't also adopt the same tactics, perhaps there would be less bombings?

2 hours ago, the guest said:

You can't blame the US for taking such action, given muslims are the ones causing many of the problems  around the globe. It's just a shame that spineless EU doesn't also adopt the same tactics, perhaps there would be less bombings?

How many aircraft bombings are there? Out of around 22 million flights per year, how many bombings please?

The whole process could be a great start. Stop european carriers coming in to the USA, the Europeans can reciprocate and keep out American carriers, America can 'stay at home' and Trump can build his wall around the entire US in order to keep all his voting base inside the wall (I imagine 95% of his voter base do not even have a passport) - making the world Great again. Then if we just cut all those trans-atlantic communications lines there will be the sound of..............silence........peace !   

2 hours ago, the guest said:

So, it is ok to take everybody's laptops off them but it is not ok to profile people by race/gender/religion/background? Why not just take all laptops off male muslims aged 16-34? you seem to have correctly identified the group of people that are involved in such mischief, why not profile them and not suspect every single person from aged 2-102? The truth is that the known terrorists have been from a specific background and demographic. Why not ask for the laptop to be switched on at security like they used to? How many 50 year old Christian/Jewish/Atheists have been involved in the manufacture of aircraft bombs? If you want to get a bomb on an aircraft (if terrorists really wanted to) then the easiest place is in the hold. But I guess we must not do anything to stop the mass hysteria. 

The terrorists win without doing anything. 4.3 million less tourists will travel to the USA this year with a direct loss of 18 Billion USD. How cool for the terrorist to do such damage without getting out of bed.

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yeah, had some of my best holidays in US. But unfortunately the 9/11 bastards have won, US fell into their trap, are they still a democracy?

Some years back when I went (from Europe) on regular mountaineering trips to South America I had to avoid US carriers because some idiot implemented a rule where you had to immigrate and go through customs when you had a layover in some US airport. Madness.

2 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

How many aircraft bombings are there? Out of around 22 million flights per year, how many bombings please?

The whole process could be a great start. Stop european carriers coming in to the USA, the Europeans can reciprocate and keep out American carriers, America can 'stay at home' and Trump can build his wall around the entire US in order to keep all his voting base inside the wall (I imagine 95% of his voter base do not even have a passport) - making the world Great again. Then if we just cut all those trans-atlantic communications lines there will be the sound of..............silence........peace !   

The correct question would have been how many attempts/plots to execute attacks were there, and how many were foiled.  Usually, information on that is not freely distributed. And perhaps as the saying goes, one is too many?

2 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

So, it is ok to take everybody's laptops off them but it is not ok to profile people by race/gender/religion/background? Why not just take all laptops off male muslims aged 16-34? you seem to have correctly identified the group of people that are involved in such mischief, why not profile them and not suspect every single person from aged 2-102? The truth is that the known terrorists have been from a specific background and demographic. Why not ask for the laptop to be switched on at security like they used to? How many 50 year old Christian/Jewish/Atheists have been involved in the manufacture of aircraft bombs? If you want to get a bomb on an aircraft (if terrorists really wanted to) then the easiest place is in the hold. But I guess we must not do anything to stop the mass hysteria. 

The terrorists win without doing anything. 4.3 million less tourists will travel to the USA this year with a direct loss of 18 Billion USD. How cool for the terrorist to do such damage without getting out of bed.

Profiling is currently a political issue, rather than a security oriented one. Same goes for Trump's fail of a travel ban. With regard to the issue of the OP, seems like its going this way as well. There was obviously enough concrete information to go on, at least to begin with. Where things got bungled up is when it came to response and public disclosure. With regard to assertions about it being same if a device was activated in the hold, that's not necessarily correct - but would depend on the nature of the device. I agree that the response seems overboard, but then again - I doubt that if the threat wasn't at least somewhat credible there would be an interest in disrupting travel and commerce on this level.

As per the last point - what is the projected effect on these parameters for a "successful" attack?

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I think an a curate assessment. As an American, I know I am

put off from making a visit.

6 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I think an a curate assessment. As an American, I know I am

put off from making a visit.

That is a pity. Hope things smoothen out on the short run and that you can once again feel free to visit friends and family back in your homeland,

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Interesting that the OP includes a picture of passengers using their laptops on an OUTBOUND flight from the USA - which, I take it, is exempt from these new security rules.

Yep, that's the weird part of all this extra security. My parents just visited the US. Before their flight home they had to sign up for some service whereby your face is scanned into a computer. Upon arrival at the airport they could then bypass most security. They didn't even have to take laptop and liquids out of the bags, nor take their shoes off. Odd, considering all the extreme measures taken on inbound flights.