Old Brit gases himself to death but cops want to speak to Thai girlfriend after he scrapped his will

webfact

Old Brit gases himself to death but cops want to speak to Thai girlfriend after he scrapped his will

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- A British man who had asked the juristic person at his building to handle a will was found gassed to death on the eighth floor of a building in Rachadaphisek Road yesterday.

Now police are trying to contact his girlfriend to help them with their enquiries.

Seventy one year old Philip Brown was found face down on his bed in his room in Rachadaphisek Soi 32. He was wearing only shorts.

Pahonyothin police and Poh Teck Tung medics were alerted by maid Ubon Wornwong,30, who couldn't get in and noticed a bad smell.

The victim had a plastic bag over his head that was connected by a pipe to a gas bottle that Sanook said was probably nitrogen.

He had been dead for 2 to 3 days already.

The room was locked from the inside, the air-con was still on and there was no sign of a struggle or injuries to the body.

Police think it was suicide.

But Thai Rath reported that the victim - had contacted the juristic person of the 8 story block some time back to ask for help with a will that he wanted them to also witness. He had told them he was dying but didn't explain from what.

He had left everything to his Thai girlfriend.

But three months after that he contacted the office again to cancel the will saying that he had finished with the woman.

They said she came to visit him frequently though it was not clear whether this was before or after the will was annulled.

Pahonyothin police told Thai Rath that Mr Brown had lived in Thailand for about ten years and was involved in IT work.

They now are trying to contact his 58 year old Thai girlfriend from Petchabun. They are also looking at the block's CCTV to get a possible lead.

The British embassy has been informed, the body has been sent for autopsy to the police hospital and efforts have been made to contact relatives.

Sources: Thai Rath, Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-30

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, halloween said:

What would you say?

I would say a proper post mortem  should be carried out to establish the cause and time of death.   This "bottle" purported to have contained nitrogen has a unique serial number if it was from a reputable Thai manufacturer and has traceability to a supplier.  ( well should have if the manufacturer is ISO certified) and would have come from somewhere and acquired by someone. Of course I know it is a stretch to expect the RTP to do anything other to extort money, but a full investigation should establish all of the facts , including, amongst many things, where and when it was bought, before stating it was probably suicide.

Having said that there is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that the use of liquid hydrogen to commit suicide is a quick and painless end to ones troubles. 

Edited by whatawonderfulday

Many years ago, was working in a reactor vessel (3m diameter x 3m height) under a full N2 atmosphere using a long-line breather. stopped for a rest and my safety man stuck his head in the top hatch to check on me, and immediately passed out. He was kneeling so easy to push him out, and he regained consciousness before I was out of the hatch. No ill effects and no idea what had happened.

Not a bad way to go.

In the Netherlands... 16 million people there are 5 suicides per day.. That is quite a few. So I am not suprised to see suicides of foreigners here.. especially as older people are more prone to suicide.  This is a clear case of suicide.. in a way a Thai would never do it and still people are claiming something else. 

For all this adverts around TV about making sure you have a will ...

Never, and I mean never have a will written up in Thailand!. Do it back in your own country. Then file it away and, don't gab about it!. I'm sure we will have a financial excpert wang in here and say no that is all wrong, but six friends form 4 different countries can't be all wrong.. 

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

In the Netherlands... 16 million people there are 5 suicides per day.. That is quite a few. So I am not suprised to see suicides of foreigners here.. especially as older people are more prone to suicide.  This is a clear case of suicide.. in a way a Thai would never do it and still people are claiming something else. 

That is strange.

Up here Thais throw themselves of the bridge-strong current and few can swim),jump of the tallest building around,use firearms and hang themselves.

Otherwise they choose a longer route-pickling by Lao Kao.

I doubt very much that you speak for the Thai-given the fact that you claim that you are from the Netherlands.

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

That is strange.

Up here Thais throw themselves of the bridge-strong current and few can swim),jump of the tallest building around,use firearms and hang themselves.

I doubt very much that you speak for the Thai-given the fact that you claim that you are from the Netherlands.

I have no idea what you are on about.. What I am saying is that its perfectly normal to have suicides. The other thing I am saying is that the method used is more a method a foreigner would choose not a Thai.. so I don't get why people disbelieve this is a normal suicide. 

People seem to forget that suicides do happen a lot. 

8 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

That is strange.

can't quite understand what you are saying?

I think Odysseus was simply pointing out that many people commit suicide and that the way in which the old brit seems to have done it, if indeed  it is suicide, which i'm pretty sure it is, isn't a method that is common amongst Thais.

Also, I don't think he claims to speak for Thais in his comment. As far as I am aware, you don't have to be Thai in order to make an observation in Thailand or any other country for that matter. I mean you don't have to be on the English football team to come to the conclusion that they are shit do you?

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

can't quite understand what you are saying?

I think Odysseus was simply pointing out that many people commit suicide and that the way in which the old brit seems to have done it, if indeed  it is suicide, which i'm pretty sure it is, isn't a method that is common amongst Thais.

Also, I don't think he claims to speak for Thais in his comment. As far as I am aware, you don't have to be Thai in order to make an observation in Thailand or any other country for that matter. I mean you don't have to be on the English football team to come to the conclusion that they are shit do you?

"I think Odysesus.."-you are actually referring to Robblok...

I have no problem with the idea that this man possibly committed suicide but other people here are pointing out that there may/may not be a problem with a Will involved.

My objection is the bald statement "...in a way that Thais would never do it..".Possibly yes/no on that one.They can be quite inventive when they put their minds to something.

Briton, 71, found dead in Bangkok apartment
By The Nation

BNGKOK: -- An elderly Briton who has been living in Thailand for more than 10 years was found dead in his rented apartment room in what is believed to be a suicide.

Police found Philip Brown lying face down on his bed in his eighth floor apartment at the Chuanchom Mansion on Soi Ratchadapisek 32 in Bangkok’s Chatuchak district, at 3pm on Thursday.

Police say he had a plastic bag over his head and there was a tube running to a nitrogen tank.

There was no damage in the room and police say the evidence points to suicide.

Police were called when a maid was unable to enter the room and there was a strong smell from inside the room.

Brown has been living in Thailand for more than 10 years and has been working in a computer field, police said.

Police say Brown once told the apartment management that he was going to die and sought help from management to make a will to leave all of his assets to his Thai wife, Kesinee Kulwong, 58, a Phetchabun resident.

Two months later he cancelled the will, saying he broke up with Kesinee, who was still seen visiting the Briton.

The body was sent to the Police Hospital for an autopsy.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30319533

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-30

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

"I think Odysesus.."-you are actually referring to Robblok...

I have no problem with the idea that this man possibly committed suicide but other people here are pointing out that there may/may not be a problem with a Will involved.

My objection is the bald statement "...in a way that Thais would never do it..".Possibly yes/no on that one.They can be quite inventive when they put their minds to something.

Yes but this method if far more known to foreigners.. if a Thai (in general) would set up a fake suicide.. it would not be by this method (in general)

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes but this method if far more known to foreigners.. if a Thai (in general) would set up a fake suicide.. it would not be by this method (in general)

I agree.I am not a forensic pathologist and the idea that the cause was suicide seems acceptable on the evidence presented here-until, and if, clear forensic evidence suggests otherwise.

Once again,RIP Mr Brown.

RIP  Englishman in Bangkok.

Reasons clear for a lot....pound from 60+ down to 42

Immigration pushing for embassies to certify only with proof, and double check when apply.

71 is not old ...80+ is......what a way to go.....hope he had his fun before this all happened.

I'll bet if the police searched his computer (he worked in IT so he must have a PC/laptop or at least a tablet), they'd probably find searches relating to suicide. Suicide by asphyxiation is not uncommon, though using nitrogen may be (uncommon).

To come up with that method I'd speculate that Mr Brown must have researched it. 

No mention of a suicide note though. I find that a little odd. You'd expect to find something in a case like this, especially considering that he apparently planned this for some time. Then again, he'd been dead for 2-3 days before anyone (officially) knew about it so................

As for his condo door being locked from the inside, that would require seeing the door to determine whether or not it was possible for someone to have locked it on the way out (i.e. was it a push-button door handle lock or was it a deadbolt or a padlock latch). The push-button type is too easy, push the button, walk out, close the door and it's locked. Deadbolts are just as easy (assuming you have a key). Walk out, close the door, engage the deadbolt. However, it there was one of those little sliding latches or chains that can only be engaged from inside the room, then it would be a different matter.

It sounds like the old gent knew his time on earth was nearly up and was making preparations to pass on his own terms. For whatever reason he decided to cut the "girlfriend" out of the will. I imagine she wouldn't have been too pleased about that but a quick check of fingerprints on the nitrogen cylinder, the bag and the door lock(s) should be enough to clear her of any suspicion. Unless of course her fingerprints (or anyone's other than Mr Brown's) are on all of them.

Assuming the CCTVs were actually working, they may provide a clue as well. 

As for the matter of Wills.
My father did a new Will after he'd been in Thailand for a few months. It was done at a local lawyer's office, all duly signed and notarized. After he died there was a 45 day waiting period before I had to go to court to have his Will probated. (That delay is meant to allow any relatives or other parties to lay claim to his estate.)

As I was his only heir and he had left everything to me (except for a cash payout to his girlfriend), there were not issues with his Will. I was then able to close his bank accounts and dispose of his assets. When I went back to Canada a few months later, I gave the Will and other paperwork to a lawyer who then did the probate in Canada. Again, there were no issues (of course I had the originals and certified true copies of the Will and Death Certificates, including certified translations). 

In Thailand, if you do not have a (valid) Will, your statutory heirs will have to prove (in court) that they are in fact your next of kin. Thai law would then be used to determine who gets what and it may not be anywhere close to what you would have preferred.

"Distribution in the absence of a will

Thai inheritance laws designate intestate heirs and so long as there is an heir surviving in one of the classes, the heir of the lower class has no entitlement to share in the assets. The one exception is where there is a descendant and a parent in which case they take an equal share (section 1630). If there is more than one heir in any one class, they take an equal share of the entitlement available to that class. The surviving spouse is a statutory heir but their entitlement depends on what other class of statutory heir exists. If there are surviving children of the deceased, the spouse and children take the estate between them. Therefore, if there are three children, then the estate is divided in to four equal shares.

descendants

parents

brothers and sisters of full blood

brothers and sisters of half blood

grandparents

uncles and aunts

The surviving spouse is a statutory heir, subject to the special provisions of Section 1635 Civil and Commercial Code.'

Note:

"Legal foreign wills are acceptable in Thai Courts subject to being translated and authorized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but the legal procedure to enforce it can take a long time. The execution of a foreign will in Thailand is always subject to a court procedure."

Obviously there would be issues as the laws are different in every country. The courts would have to determine the validity of the Will and ensure that proper procedures are carried out. It would create a legal nightmare if, for example, they gave everything to someone's "spouse" in Thailand and found out later he had 6 kids, 2 ex-wives and a dozen brothers/sisters/aunts/uncles and inlaws back home who didn't even know he'd died and all wanting a piece of his estate.

Personally, when I get to "that" age and I know I don't have much longer, I'd probably do the same (or similar) thing. Get my affairs in order, determine a suitable method (preferably painless and not "messy"), have a last fling and splurge a bit, then quietly pass on with minimal fuss.

I would however, leave a detailed note explaining the matter, as well as a final post on Facebook (and ThaiVisa of course) so that there wouldn't be as much speculation.

2 hours ago, hgma said:

RIP  Englishman in Bangkok.

Reasons clear for a lot....pound from 60+ down to 42

Immigration pushing for embassies to certify only with proof, and double check when apply.

71 is not old ...80+ is......what a way to go.....hope he had his fun before this all happened.

As the Pound has been stable at around 42 Baht for the last seven years , I doubt that the exchange rate had anything to do with it 

He previously told people that he was dying , that was probably the reason , end it quickly, rather than suffer

12 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I would however, leave a detailed note explaining the matter, as well as a final post on Facebook (and ThaiVisa of course) so that there wouldn't be as much speculation.

Be careful Kerry , someones logging into your Thaivisa account and they are getting an alibi ready :smile:

5 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

I would say a proper post mortem  should be carried out to establish the cause and time of death.   This "bottle" purported to have contained nitrogen has a unique serial number if it was from a reputable Thai manufacturer and has traceability to a supplier.  ( well should have if the manufacturer is ISO certified) and would have come from somewhere and acquired by someone. Of course I know it is a stretch to expect the RTP to do anything other to extort money, but a full investigation should establish all of the facts , including, amongst many things, where and when it was bought, before stating it was probably suicide.

Having said that there is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that the use of liquid hydrogen to commit suicide is a quick and painless end to ones troubles. 

It was certainly not liquid hydrogen nor even liquid nitrogen, but compressed nitrogen in a bottle such as used for welding. This is one of the fastest and least painful ways to commit suicide and it is the method recommended by most suicide-promoting groups, such as the Hemlock Society.  Normally one deep breath is all it takes. Certainly better than being slowly tortured to death by doctors, nurses and hospitals. The alternative would be the Dignitas Foundation in Zurich, Switzerland. They take care of everything, including a notary for the last will and testament.

Just now, Bluespunk said:

There is no difference whether my room is locked from the inside or outside. 

It is the same whether it is done from the inside or out. 

You should buy a deadlock, failing that a bolt will do the job.

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

There is no difference whether my room is locked from the inside or outside. 

It is the same whether it is done from the inside or out. 

Although your room isnt the room in question .

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although your room isnt the room in question .

Where did I say it was?

Just pointing out many rooms are the same whether locked from the inside or out. 

Or are you imagining that I am casting doubt on this being suicide?

You might want to rein that knee jerk reaction in a bit...

Edited by Bluespunk