Old Brit gases himself to death but cops want to speak to Thai girlfriend after he scrapped his will

webfact

6 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

I would say a proper post mortem  should be carried out to establish the cause and time of death.   This "bottle" purported to have contained nitrogen has a unique serial number if it was from a reputable Thai manufacturer and has traceability to a supplier.  ( well should have if the manufacturer is ISO certified) and would have come from somewhere and acquired by someone. Of course I know it is a stretch to expect the RTP to do anything other to extort money, but a full investigation should establish all of the facts , including, amongst many things, where and when it was bought, before stating it was probably suicide.

Having said that there is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that the use of liquid hydrogen to commit suicide is a quick and painless end to ones troubles. 

Liquid hydrogen, surely not? More likely to explode than suffocate. Nitrogen more likely and easier to obtain.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

I would say a proper post mortem  should be carried out to establish the cause and time of death.   This "bottle" purported to have contained nitrogen has a unique serial number if it was from a reputable Thai manufacturer and has traceability to a supplier.  ( well should have if the manufacturer is ISO certified) and would have come from somewhere and acquired by someone. Of course I know it is a stretch to expect the RTP to do anything other to extort money, but a full investigation should establish all of the facts , including, amongst many things, where and when it was bought, before stating it was probably suicide.

Having said that there is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that the use of liquid hydrogen to commit suicide is a quick and painless end to ones troubles. 

This is a great post, with good deductive logic

But far to much of a job for the RTB

Cops hear discussion of "will". Cops need to find out how much money is involved, who has it or is going to get it, where it's at. Cops hope girlfriend is an uneducated, unconnected Isaan woman. Easy to pressure.

8 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

RIP Mr Brown.A lonely way to die.

But courageous and responsible.  It would be better than spending weeks, or perhaps longer, in a vegetative state, or suffering terrible pain.

Well done Mr Brown.

57 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Cops hear discussion of "will". Cops need to find out how much money is involved, who has it or is going to get it, where it's at. Cops hope girlfriend is an uneducated, unconnected Isaan woman. Easy to pressure.

Your post makes sense,but could it be an uneducated, unconnected woman from any of the other provinces,? Why does suspicion always fall on Isaan women,?  There are just as bad everywhere. It's like saying that the London police are hoping it's someone from the East end.

2 minutes ago, Sapporillo said:

I don't think that everybody considers committing suicide is weak and spineless. 

My personal opinion is that suicide is the only courageous and rational way to die. We all have to die some day, so why not chose the time and way we die?  Leaving that decision up to doctors, nurses, hospitals and family (heirs) is the cowardly and spineless way to die. Those who make that choice are weak, they are afraid of dying, they are not able to confront the hard truth of the inevitability of death, and they put their fate into the hands of those who do not have their best interest at heart. 

Taking your own life away from the medical  and pharmaceutical industry interests is an act of courage. The only way to go, in my opinion, when you have the good fortune to be able to take that decision in a rational way,  and to still be of sound mind (and not the victim of an accident or whatever  else is out of your own control).

8 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Thais are getting bored with farang committing suicide.
They must think we are all weak and spineless

most of the married ones are, that how they ended up getting married :cheesy:

Edited by catman20

2 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Your post makes sense,but could it be an uneducated, unconnected woman from any of the other provinces,? Why does suspicion always fall on Isaan women,?  There are just as bad everywhere. It's like saying that the London police are hoping it's someone from the East end.

I take your point. I wasn't picking on Isaan although it could easily appear that way.

My viewpoint is that every grouping in Thailand from the smallest band of friends to large workplaces to the whole population has a strict hierarchical pecking order based on tried and tested status markers. My viewpoint is that whether we like it or not, cops in Bangkok will automatically assume that, in terms of regions, people from Isaan, all other factors considered equal, are lower. This is Thai thinking, I believe.

It is important not to fall back on the Western concept that all men are equal. It does not apply here.

So, in summary, as I was articulating the thoughts of the Bangkok cops, I cannot retract my statement.

I hope this fully explains my post.

9 hours ago, Happy enough said:

can't quite understand what you are saying?

I think Odysseus was simply pointing out that many people commit suicide and that the way in which the old brit seems to have done it, if indeed  it is suicide, which i'm pretty sure it is, isn't a method that is common amongst Thais.

Also, I don't think he claims to speak for Thais in his comment. As far as I am aware, you don't have to be Thai in order to make an observation in Thailand or any other country for that matter. I mean you don't have to be on the English football team to come to the conclusion that they are shit do you?

Aargh! Did not intend to comment... fat fingers and small phone,   but since I am here... I agree.

An ex and her father were members of The Hemlock Society, which promotes the right to suicide when the going is really bad.

They described this exact scenario as one of the best ways to check out.

Not at all unreasonable for the cops to think suicide, IMO.

11 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Of course the keystone cops would say suicide again.  

No. They said "think" and "evidence points to." Nothing definitive yet.

11 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

I would say a proper post mortem  should be carried out to establish the cause and time of death.

And that's normally what they do. How did you know they aren't going to do that in this case?

No there isn't. Surely the BIB cant be less competent than our Keystone TVF forensic investigators with their inability even to get the few basic facts of a short article straight.

3 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

No. They said "think" and "evidence points to." Nothing definitive yet.

And that's normally what they do. How did you know they aren't going to do that in this case?

No there isn't. Surely the BIB cant be less competent than our Keystone TVF forensic investigators with their inability even to get the few basic facts of a short article straight.

There is if you care to google it or are you just too lazy to research before attacking your keyboard  which exactly typifies yourself described in your last sentence.

Edited by whatawonderfulday

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

I take your point. I wasn't picking on Isaan although it could easily appear that way.

My viewpoint is that every grouping in Thailand from the smallest band of friends to large workplaces to the whole population has a strict hierarchical pecking order based on tried and tested status markers. My viewpoint is that whether we like it or not, cops in Bangkok will automatically assume that, in terms of regions, people from Isaan, all other factors considered equal, are lower. This is Thai thinking, I believe.

It is important not to fall back on the Western concept that all men are equal. It does not apply here.

So, in summary, as I was articulating the thoughts of the Bangkok cops, I cannot retract my statement.

I hope this fully explains my post.

It does indeed. And it is true to say, that years ago,any crime concerning serious amounts of money,jewellery, or any thing that bore a trade mark of sorts, the copperslways pulled in the usual suspects. Funnily enough, it was always the East enad that had the net cast over it. I do understand what you aresaying mate. My wife is isaan, and we worked together in the bar game together for years and sheas honest as the day is long. But its rather like people being suspicious of a guy, just becaus he has tattoos. You know what its like, its human nature.You read it many times on here, where a poster will automatically jump to conclusions because, in his picture, the man looks guilty.

13 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

There is if you care to google it or are you just too lazy to research before attacking your keyboard  which exactly typifies yourself described in your last sentence.

Duh. More Keystone forensics! I love this forum. Google for ya: https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=liquid+hydrogen+suicide

To quote Wikipedia, Liquid hydrogen requires cryogenic storage technology such as special thermally insulated containers and requires special handling common to all cryogenic fuels. Guess that's a major reason the Old Brit didn't have any around. :biggrin:

3 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Duh. More Keystone forensics! I love this forum. Google for ya: https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=liquid+hydrogen+suicide

To quote Wikipedia, Liquid hydrogen requires cryogenic storage technology such as special thermally insulated containers and requires special handling common to all cryogenic fuels. Guess that's a major reason the Old Brit didn't have any around. :biggrin:

Ahhh, that'll be it then.:ermm:

4 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Better than dying a slow death with cancer or some other painful disease. Wouldn't mind keeping a container and plastic bag handy just in case. Anybody know where on can buy the stuff?

Isn't it (Nitrous Oxide) available in balloons at beach parties for "recreational purposes"?

I've had it for medical procedures and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It is, I believe, administered in a mix with oxygen.  Switch off the O and you're on your way.

It's #1 on my list of ways to travel "Toward the Unknown Region" (Walt Whitman).

Edited by Enoon

Who ever thinks up these headlines- these days 71 is the new 50.

Can things get so desperate? Generally it's human nature to hang onto life, if he was concerned about a will - then there must have been something to leave.

The UK perhaps is not the most friendly place for elderly people- but going back home and tapping into a wealth of support that is available- would be a better option. 

We don't know if sadly he was terminally ill? It seems to happen on a much too regular basis - why is it that we have elderly men who die- maybe a heart attack or slip on a wet floor- and nobody notices their absence- until the place begins to smell? 

13 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Hydrogen peroxide?

14 hours ago, halloween said:

Many years ago, was working in a reactor vessel (3m diameter x 3m height) under a full N2 atmosphere using a long-line breather. stopped for a rest and my safety man stuck his head in the top hatch to check on me, and immediately passed out. He was kneeling so easy to push him out, and he regained consciousness before I was out of the hatch. No ill effects and no idea what had happened.

Not a bad way to go.

Yes there is no substitute for being on top of your game

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

As the Pound has been stable at around 42 Baht for the last seven years , I doubt that the exchange rate had anything to do with it 

He previously told people that he was dying , that was probably the reason , end it quickly, rather than suffer

It was 55 before June 23 last year and never 42 in the 6 years before that, pensioners have been hit hard the last year.

13 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Ahhh, that'll be it then.:ermm:

3 hours ago, AGLV0121 said:

nitrogen. I am not sure you can buy liquid hydrogen which is fuel for rockets