Converting visa exempt to non-immigrant o

Hi, I just came back from immigration today after extending my 30day visa exempt for another 30days. The officer informed me that I could convert this 30day visa exempt into a non o for retirement if I wanted to rather than traveling out of the country to get a new non-o from an embassy. Is this true? I thought it was only tourist visas that could be converted? Any new info would be most welcome.

Thanks

You can do the application with a tourist visa or or visa exempt empt entry. You must have at least 15 days remaining on your current permit to stay.

The only difference between the 2 is the form you use to apply for the visa. With a visa exempt exempt entry you use a TM87 form visa application form instead of a TM86 change of visa status form.

You will need 800k baht in the bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the two totaling 800k baht.

If using money in the bank you need a letter from the bank confirming the funds came from abroad.

Just now, Tbone999 said:

For this letter from the bank, does this have to be submitted every year for extensions?

It is only need for the visa application.

For extensions it is not required since the money needs to be in the bank for 60 days for the first extension and then 3 months after that.

So , I just have to have the cash in the bank on the day of the first application for a non o, correct? I do have a minor issue since part of the cash will be coming from the 400000 I had for my marriage extensions, not sure how the bank will handle that ref money coming from abroad?

4 minutes ago, Tbone999 said:

I do have a minor issue since part of the cash will be coming from the 400000 I had for my marriage extensions, not sure how the bank will handle that ref money coming from abroad?

The bank should have a record of where the 400k baht came from. Some old bank books showing foreign transfer would help to show the bank.

Some offices might accept it without the proof if the money has been in the bank for a long time.

28 minutes ago, Tbone999 said:

Ubonjoe, would you know how many copies of documentation are required for this application? As in, am I only submitting one application along with documents?

Only one TM87 application form and one set of originals and copies of supporting documents attached to it.

For proof of residence, I have already registered with my wife at the phuket immigration, so I am on their system. I have a yellow book also (although it's not really accepted). Would you think I still need to go to immigration again to get the printed out paper? I also have copies of my wife's housebook. I'm asking as I intend to go to the smaller office in Patong rather than the main building.

1 minute ago, Tbone999 said:

I'm asking as I intend to go to the smaller office in Patong rather than the main building.

The service offered in the Patong office is limited. You will not be able to apply for an "O" visa entry conversion or get an extension of stay based on marriage, retirement etc other than from the Phuket town office.

5 minutes ago, Tbone999 said:

For proof of residence, I have already registered with my wife at the phuket immigration, so I am on their system. I have a yellow book also (although it's not really accepted). Would you think I still need to go to immigration again to get the printed out paper? I also have copies of my wife's housebook. I'm asking as I intend to go to the smaller office in Patong rather than the main building.

You can only apply for the visa at the main office.

Patong only does re-entry permits, 90 day reports and tourist visa extensions.

1 minute ago, Tbone999 said:

Mhmm, when I went their last week, they were the ones who brought it up and said I could it all from there? Said it would be no problem?

Maybe things have changed. If you have received assurances then go for it.

I was only trying to be helpful based on living on the island for over ten years. 

I was aware that most things have to be done in town, just they were the ones saying all this and was thinking about the lesser hassle. I normally do the marriage route, this is my first time for retirement. I might just pop my head in and see, if they do do it, I'll report back, if not, then it's on the way to Phuket town anyway.

Update, as Ubonjoe said, can only apply at Phuket Town, however, went today and also a non starter. Was told by the officer that it's now very difficult to do this, and Phuket does not have the power anymore. The paperwork would need to be sent to HatYai for approval and didn't know how long it would take, perhaps 3 weeks. Now, my next option is back to KL, however, I now want a single entry non-o retirement visa rather than marriage. Is this also possible from KL? How does immigration know if the non-o is for a spouse or retirement? Is it written on the visa somewhere?

Edited by Tbone999

33 minutes ago, Tbone999 said:

Update, as Ubonjoe said, can only apply at Phuket Town, however, went today and also a non starter. Was told by the officer that it's now very difficult to do this, and Phuket does not have the power anymore. The paperwork would need to be sent to HatYai for approval and didn't know how long it would take, perhaps 3 weeks. Now, my next option is back to KL, however, I now want a single entry non-o retirement visa rather than marriage. Is this also possible from KL? How does immigration know if the non-o is for a spouse or retirement? Is it written on the visa somewhere?

I is normal procedure that a  non immigrant visa application has to be approved at division headquarters when applying at any immigration office. For Phuket that is division 6 in Hat Yai. That is why they require at least 15 days remaining on your permit to stay most immigration offices (some 21 days) to apply.

I suggest you try doing it at Phuket.

KL will not do a single entry non-o visa for being over 50 for retirement.

Penang will issue one but you will need proof you are retired if using the money in the bank option to show financial proof. Most people get a income letter from their embassy for even a small amount of income

Ok, I don't want to go to Penang, as it would also mean a trip to bangkok for a letter, which would be a pain. My next option is getting a single entry non o (spouse) from KL, is it possible to convert this to a non o retirement within the country? I also see a police report is required, which I could organize in time for change of visa?

Just now, Tbone999 said:

My next option is getting a single entry non o (spouse) from KL, is it possible to convert this to a non o retirement within the country?

That is the best option. You will need to show your bank book to prove at least 400k baht in the bank. No problem to use it to apply for an extension based upon retirement.

30 minutes ago, Tbone999 said:

So when applying for the extension, I wouldn't need to convert anything, just gain an extension based on retirement? What about police reports, health checks etc?

No 'conversions', police checks etc are required. Such documentation is only required when applying for an O-A visa within ones country of origin. 

Thanks for your help guys. Problem sorted. I'm going to KL for the non o, and do an extension for retirement before the 3months is up. one last question so I don't have any surprises when applying for the extension, how long does it normally take to get the approval and stamp in passport for a 12month retirement extension when applying?

10 hours ago, Tbone999 said:

Thanks for your help guys. Problem sorted. I'm going to KL for the non o, and do an extension for retirement before the 3months is up. one last question so I don't have any surprises when applying for the extension, how long does it normally take to get the approval and stamp in passport for a 12month retirement extension when applying?

The extension stamp is normally done while you wait after the application is accepted and the fee paid.

If I recall correctly Phuket has had people return the next day to pick up their passport.

How long permit to stay would one get with the TM87 conversion then?

Also is 800k received from abroad really needed if married or having Thai child or just the 400k as for TM7 extension based on thai son?

Also this would be for BKK if it matters ... C1 counter I was told...

Thanks a lot :)

Edited by worldfun

48 minutes ago, worldfun said:

Also is 800k received from abroad really needed if married or having Thai child or just the 400k as for TM7 extension based on thai son?

Conversion is to a 90-day Non-O.  You would apply for the 1-year extension near the end of that.

The money-rule follows the reason for the visa/extension - so married is 400K or 40K Baht/mo.

Edited by JackThompson

50 minutes ago, worldfun said:

You get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry from an a T87 visa application.

You only need need 400k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply based upon marriage or for being the parent of a Thai. Their is no requirement for proof the funds came from abroad. You will also need your wife or child with you when apply and all the supporting documents required for an extension of stay application.

Not sure which counter it is at Chaeng Wattana immigration. They will tell you when you get the queue number.

Thanks for the info so 90 days is all I'll get, then I'd wanna apply as early I can for the 1 year extension in order to only do the multiple entry reentry on the 1 year and not having to do it twice or even trice (on current 60 day exempt extension/K1). However the limit to as soon I can apply 1Y extension would be how soon the 400k have been in the bank towards the 2 months req. I guess...

Edited by worldfun

it is section C at CW.  just tell the queue number person you are changing visa.  when i did it earlier this year, i arrived about 9am and no wait at all.  your 90 days will start from this first visit.  not the day when you go back to get the stamp.

• Like 1