Bass madness

Brunolem

Thais like their music served loud, as loud as their hi fi system will allow, since the volume button is always stuck at maximum level.

As if this was not enough, they also like to distort said music by pushing the bass to the max, sending violent vibrations into the stomach of anyone unfortunate enough to stand within a kilometer from the emission source, and making whole buildings shaking on their fragile foundations.

Why would anyone want to mutilate a piece of "music" that would be already difficult to digest if served undistorted?

Searching for a rational explanation proves difficult...are they trying to provoke earthquakes, or what?

Having said that, and since I rarely leave the country, I was wondering if this "bass madness" was an international phenomenum, or just a local issue???

Other than listening to it in some parts of the states blasting hip hop & hate rap out of their cars for intimidation + cover the sounds of drive by shootings, car thefts, & breaking and entering Thailand is the loudest I've heard....

Use to have one neighbor 400 meters away that would shake the slab flooring & could be heard over a kilometer away on the back side of the speakers... Finally had him removed, with some help....

They can be excessively loud here with no regard for any type of curfew times....

Well to speak with my modest experience, European Dance Clubs do tend to "pump up the volume" a bit...but usually the bass pumpin' starts around 02:00 am when the club patrons are well heated up and boozed!!:cheesy:.....Some open air concerts of festivals do the same bass pumpin', usually when the band plays it's hits that made the charts!!...but many a local law, puts the maxim output noise in public establishments to a max of around 95 dB, if I'm not mistaken....:guitar:

As for private homes, many european countries have local  laws that restrict use of excessive noise after 10pm...those who infringe get a knock on their door from the local boys in blue with badges, plus a fine!

4 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Other than listening to it in some parts of the states blasting hip hop & hate rap out of their cars for intimidation + cover the sounds of drive by shootings, car thefts, & breaking and entering Thailand is the loudest I've heard....

Use to have one neighbor 400 meters away that would shake the slab flooring & could be heard over a kilometer away on the back side of the speakers... Finally had him removed, with some help....

They can be excessively loud here with no regard for any type of curfew times....

I'm curious...what was the nature of the help obtained, to evacuate DJ Noisy Neighbour?

31 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I'm curious...what was the nature of the help obtained, to evacuate DJ Noisy Neighbour?

We lived between 3 villages.....He was an entrenched government official who's happiness came from the dispair (he created) for others....He would actually taunt people - then turn it louder....

Went around & gathered signatures (hard to do but enough people were angry) that we got a few......

Presented it to the local authorities - but also took copies to the local newspaper.....The writer then made a cover letter & mailed it to every official office he knew of in Thailand.....

Within 3 months the guy was transferred & put his place up for sale.....

This was after 2 years, confrontations, local authorities even monitoring with sound decibel equipment - nothing phased him until all the letters went out with copies of the petition & signatures, then someone - somewhere finally acted....

Some of the villagers wanted to burn him out but were intimidated by his position....I didn't care & took him straight on.....Some nights he'd get on the mic & say "American go home" repeatedly - but - got him ....

Some very witty writing on this topic, nice to have a giggle in the morning.

I like to walk on Jomtien beach and other beaches, sometimes one comes across a pick up or car with music blaring out at full blast. It's like they think they have the best taste in music and are trying to convert the rest of us over to it.

Edited by dotpoom

Just now, dotpoom said:

Some very witty writing on this topic, nice to habe a giggle in the morning.

I like to walk on Jomtien beach and other beaches, sometimes one comes across a pick up or car with music blaring out at full blast. It's like they think they have the best taste in music and are trying to convert the rest of us over to it.

Or in India trying to convert us to their religion, bad technique...

Yeah it has to be the loudest otherwise there not the best it's just the way thing are now with all new invented tech from where did it come from, can't remember. :whistling:

My take is l don't mind when it's one off parties, weddings, funerals and festival time always knew it was gonna happen when l came to live here.

I guess l'm fortunate to have an escape to my mancave outside of our village also the Thai people here wouldn't stand for what pgrahmm had to put up with, certainly not 2 years.

A local gov rich guy here tried doing whatever every morning on village speakers starting with music and blabbering on at 5.30am he lasted 3 days. :laugh:

I use the Noise thing to avoid, or shorten attendance at Social events here. .in fact I leave my Mrs after a respectful time , and Book into the nearest posh Hotel, with a good Book and a Jack Daniels Bottle.!. PEACE OUT.?[emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

17 minutes ago, keeniau96 said:

Thai volume levels all go up to 11, some higher ...

The guy we had had 2 triple row height banks like they use ar concerts with 10-12 big speakers per bank.....

Kept bragging he'd spent over 100,000 tb on just speakers & nobody was going to tell him he couldn't use them.....

Insane....

10 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

We lived between 3 villages.....He was an entrenched government official who's happiness came from the dispair (he created) for others....He would actually taunt people - then turn it louder....

Went around & gathered signatures (hard to do but enough people were angry) that we got a few......

Presented it to the local authorities - but also took copies to the local newspaper.....The writer then made a cover letter & mailed it to every official office he knew of in Thailand.....

This was after 2 years, confrontations, local authorities even monitoring with sound decibel equipment - nothing phased him until all the letters went out with copies of the petition & signatures, then someone - somewhere finally acted....

Some of the villagers wanted to burn him out but were intimidated by his position....I didn't care & took him straight on.....Some nights he'd get on the mic & say "American go home" repeatedly - but - got him ....

I admire your initiative and guts in getting your Thai fellow-sufferers to join you in ridding  yourselves of this pesky critter. Now all that is required is to persuade another 68 million of their fellow countrymen and women that standing up for their democratic rights is the best "road-map" to follow.

INMHO it is all about noise and this extends to look at me. 10 metres over the road at this soi end there are 2 minibuses , oh yes you can hear them on the way long before they arrive. They also have an old Honda Cub , you can hear that coming too . All about noise . Pickups with 6" dia. tailpipes . No one thinks oh wow listen to that great pickup . I won't start on about karaoke racket at 1 am 2k away with someone pi$$ed in charge of the mike.

How right you are OP, think of all the poor wee babies who have to but up with that, and will have hearing problems when they get older.

Three things most of the Thai people love. Noise, wearing uniforms, and having authority.

Not Thai bashing here, people in all countries have things that turns them on, ie I am a Scot, and most Scots love wearing kilts when they get the opportunity. Not me though, far too feminine.

Edited by possum1931

3 hours ago, joeyg said:

Found the same phenomenon in India especially at religious festivals.  Quite deafening. I learned to never leave home without earplugs. Same goes here in Thailand.

Surprisingly earplugs are difficult to find here...I mean the real thing, made of wax, not of foam or whatever crap.

Maybe there lies a business opportunity...

13 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Note - we kept a log of times, dates,  details, contacts also as the the whole thing unfolded...

55 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

How right you are OP, think of all the poor wee babies who have to but up with that, and will have hearing problems when they get older.

Three things most of the Thai people love. Noise, wearing uniforms, and having authority.

Not Thai bashing here, people in all countries have things that turns them on, ie I am a Scot, and most Scots love wearing kilts when they get the opportunity. Not me though, far too feminine.

Agreed.

I am French and I love French bashing, especially when it's done by British, even though I like to contribute myself...we French are such pompous a...holes after all.

Unfortunately our locals friends are not so open minded...probably a consequence of the uniform thing, acting like a straight jacket for the mind, which is also constantly pounded by bass vibrations...not good if you ask me...

Have to say got used to it over the years. Doesn't bother me at all now. 

Remember some oinks in UK across the road in theblate 90's used to like loud  base music at 2am. Didnt last long if i remember correctly.

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah it has to be the loudest otherwise there not the best it's just the way thing are now with all new invented tech from where did it come from, can't remember. :whistling:

My take is l don't mind when it's one off parties, weddings, funerals and festival time always knew it was gonna happen when l came to live here.

I guess l'm fortunate to have an escape to my mancave outside of our village also the Thai people here wouldn't stand for what pgrahmm had to put up with, certainly not 2 years.

A local gov rich guy here tried doing whatever every morning on village speakers starting with music and blabbering on at 5.30am he lasted 3 days. :laugh:

an  "accident "  occurred  to  the set close to my house and i believe if  it  keeps being  fixed more  will follow......so far 5  months of silence

6 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

I use the Noise thing to avoid, or shorten attendance at Social events here. .in fact I leave my Mrs after a respectful time , and Book into the nearest posh Hotel, with a good Book and a Jack Daniels Bottle.!. PEACE OUT.?emoji481.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Good plan....