Expats withdrawing large amounts from Thai banks to send back to their citizenship country.

I've felt OK about depositing the 800k baht for the annual retirement visa (extension?) - not great, but willing to accept it-  and felt even better when I learned there is a bank insurance for accounts in Thai baht currency.

I was originally planning to bring some cash on my initial trip and my trip to move there, but thought that could be a problem when withdrawing.

I then felt that I would have it all sent via US bank ACH to Bangkok Bank NYC - the procedure that the helpful posters here have detailed -  and have that sent on to BB Thailand - by doing so the bank would have a record of the transfer and I would keep copies or have documentation online.

But I have seen several posts alluding to  difficulties in withdrawing (but not depositing) large amounts - to send back to one's country of citizenship (or elsewhere out of Thailand). None of the posts I've read stated specific details.

The most recent I've read did have details - the poster  stated that he moved 400k GBP to Thailand, then wanted to send 97k back to England (IIRC), but the bank wouldn't let him.

He had set it up as a joint account with his Thai wife, and they let her make the transfer to get the funds out of the country, after refusing him.

(I wanted to ask him for more details about the bank's argument, but lost track of the post).

This is concerning.

It's possible that some day assuming I move to Thailand, that I will want to move elsewhere. It could end up feeling like the wrong fit and happen sooner or it could be a long time.

But either way, I would not want to then have to deal with a fight - perhaps unsuccessful? - to move the money out, and even if successful have the stress and delay of such a situation.

Is it extremely unlikely that this withdrawal would actually be a problem and the person whose story I referred to is a one off?

What have you people experienced?

Edited by JimmyJ

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully no news is good news and indicates that this is not a common problem.

If the poster I refer to above who was denied sending funds home but his wife was permitted from their joint account is reading this - What reason did they give for not allowing you to withdraw a large amount to be sent back to your own country?

3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Hopefully no news is good news and indicates that this is not a common problem.

... or rather indicates a problem discussed too many times  :saai:

In short you can take out of Thailand only money you can prove you bring in. :sad:

If you don't have some FETF, it can be difficult or impossible to transfer it back.

(Those with a WP are more lucky)

11 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

... or rather indicates a problem discussed too many times  :saai:

In short you can take out of Thailand only money you can prove you bring in. :sad:

If you don't have some FETF, it can be difficult or impossible to transfer it back.

(Those with a WP are more lucky)

I'm planning to have it deposited from my bank in the US to a Thai bank account which I will open. There will be an online record of the transaction from my US bank.

So there shouldn't be a problem in that case when/if I want to withdraw and have it sent back to my US bank?

3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I'm planning to have it deposited from my bank in the US to a Thai bank account which I will open. There will be an online record of the transaction from my US bank.

So there shouldn't be a problem in that case when/if I want to withdraw and have it sent back to my US bank?

when you do the trans.make sure you stipulate whats it for eg.[house purchase] then you should get an 

INTERNATIONAL CURRENCY TRANSFER CERTIFICATE from the recieving bank.keep it safe then if you need to send it back home rhere wont be a problem.