Keihin carb.

Keihin 42mm . Body has  VP Keihin Japan on main body.

Intake has 4 brass thingys, one almost hidden by the black plastic.

Thinking idle air for one, maybe float bowl excess for another but would love some carby guru to let me know what they all do.

2017-07-02 13.24.28.jpg

55 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

There's so many type of Keihin carbs,  they can 2 to 4 jets with holders, valves and auxiliary stuff :biggrin: l'm no guru on all carbs, l would say there jet holders.

I've been googling for days and cant find anything on it.

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

I've been googling for days and cant find anything on it.

Like l said l think you'll find there internal carb  jet holders,  l thought there was some  professional motorcycle mechanics old school on TV,   l'm just a DIY old school carbs fixer,  you need all that computer plug in (deleted) stuff these days with new bikes. :laugh: 

Anyone know how to fit fuel injection in place the these things, I have 2 Keihin CVs on my bike and it has been nothing but trouble? Still have parts to order from the USA.

Yours seems even more complicated than mine, so good luck mate.

2 hours ago, AllanB said:

Anyone know how to fit fuel injection in place the these things, I have 2 Keihin CVs on my bike and it has been nothing but trouble? Still have parts to order from the USA.

Yours seems even more complicated than mine, so good luck mate.

Why order USA when you can get here.

Nothing more simple than mechanical carbs a little read up will be a lot easier than trying to change a carb bike to fuel-injection if it is at all possible with the type of bike you have,  you can sort carbs yourself without poxy computers.

You want FI buy a new bike.  :whistling:

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Wot post no. 6 says.

All to do with the air circuits. External.

Will have nothing to do with neat fuel.

Fuel circuits are inside the carb. Internal.

Yeah that's why jet holders can be seen externally. :biggrin:

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

4T and 2T carbs can also have different arrangements from the same basic body. 42mm is a biggie. Like HD size or tuned single. Bike is?

42's used on 1000 cc, 1100 cc, 1200 cc, and 1400 cc.

3 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Stock 4 cylinder?

Yeah or HD twins Kiehin are good carbs.

1,  2,  or banks of 4.

Fling me what do you want,  loads of reading out there for many years, l'm done with it now. :biggrin:

On 2017-7-3 at 11:18 AM, Kwasaki said:

Why order USA when you can get here.

Nothing more simple than mechanical carbs a little read up will be a lot easier than trying to change a carb bike to fuel-injection if it is at all possible with the type of bike you have,  you can sort carbs yourself without poxy computers.

You want FI buy a new bike.  :whistling:

Tried everywhere to get float chamber seats, the CV carb ones are different.

The fuel injection comment was a little joke, so pissed off with these carbs, but the bike is rare and 34 years old, so only to be expected. The bike is very similar to the VT500 Shadow, once sold in the states.

Actually just today found the seats in the UK....

7 hours ago, AllanB said:

Tried everywhere to get float chamber seats, the CV carb ones are different.

The fuel injection comment was a little joke, so pissed off with these carbs, but the bike is rare and 34 years old, so only to be expected. The bike is very similar to the VT500 Shadow, once sold in the states.

Actually just today found the seats in the UK....

Apologizes didn't know bike was that old,  can you not adapt to later twin carbs or is it you want to keep it original.

On 03/07/2017 at 5:44 PM, Kwasaki said:

Yeah or HD twins Kiehin are good carbs.

1,  2,  or banks of 4.

Fling me what do you want,  loads of reading out there for many years, l'm done with it now. :biggrin:

Not being that genned up on Jap 4 multis, but i don't think i've ever heard of a STOCK  PRODUCTION bike ever running 42mm carbs in a bank of 4. 42mm is a big carb, even 40mm, on any1000 - 1200cc multi. Drag racing sure, but stock, no.

Singles or twins, yes, i already mentioned them.

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Not being that genned up on Jap 4 multis, but i don't think i've ever heard of a STOCK  PRODUCTION bike ever running 42mm carbs in a bank of 4. 42mm is a big carb, even 40mm, on any1000 - 1200cc multi. Drag racing sure, but stock, no.

Singles or twins, yes, i already mentioned them.

Stock bikes yes and bigger, as you guess l'm a Honda plastic bullet supporter  :biggrin:  my UK 92 blade had 4 x 38mm Keihin carbs was gonna change to 40mm but too little improvement.

The CBR1100XX  had 4 x 42mm Keihins as OEM equipment,  way back l had a chance to buy one and knowing what l know now l could kick myself, 160,000 green book 1 owner. :sick:

I'm sure from memory Hayabusa used 4 x 44mm  & some used 4 x 46mm carbs. :shock1:

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Every carb i've ever pulled apart has the

cold start jet

pilot jet

needle jet

main jet

inside.

Me too maybe lets just say my own techknowledgey term sorry for that but what l call the pilot jet screw is turned in or out to change the air-fuel mixture is outside.

12 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Apologizes didn't know bike was that old,  can you not adapt to later twin carbs or is it you want to keep it original.

If this doesn't fix it I will, though space is a bit tight between v and tank.

13 hours ago, AllanB said:

If this doesn't fix it I will, though space is a bit tight between v and tank.

Well that shouldn't be a big problem that's the good thing about motorbikes they are adaptable.  :thumbsup: 

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well that shouldn't be a big problem that's the good thing about motorbikes they are adaptable.  :thumbsup: 

I thought that until I bought this bike. There is also an issue with the exhaust, which was a noisy straight through mod, with no plans of what the original baffle should look like, which has an effect on the carbs too.

With the bike Thai modified, I spent a lot of time trying to find information on this engine, including translating Japanese using google, where you just end up with gobble-de-gook.

Then recently I found the VT500 Shadow sold in the USA is virtually identical, 52hp versus 43hp for my 400. So at least I am working in English, well sort of (American bikers talk).

The engine looks very well built, so I must persevere. One more try with these new bits....oh but then there is the issue with the bloody gasahol the sell here dissolving rubbers.

Edited by AllanB

3 hours ago, AllanB said:

I thought that until I bought this bike. There is also an issue with the exhaust, which was a noisy straight through mod, with no plans of what the original baffle should look like, which has an effect on the carbs too.

With the bike Thai modified, I spent a lot of time trying to find information on this engine, including translating Japanese using google, where you just end up with gobble-de-gook.

Then recently I found the VT500 Shadow sold in the USA is virtually identical, 52hp versus 43hp for my 400. So at least I am working in English, well sort of (American bikers talk).

The engine looks very well built, so I must persevere. One more try with these new bits....oh but then there is the issue with the bloody gasahol the sell here dissolving rubbers.

1st....Yeah exhaust changes cause problems l try telling young Thais with older bikes here that,  who fit noisy exhausts but of course l'm a crazy falangie and know 'F' all.

2nd....What bike is it  ? ?   if Honda engine could well be no problem to sort.

3rd...If Honda engine you can email them the engine number they may be able to help, they did me on a CB400.

4th....There are carb rubber replacement kits to solve gasohol fuel problems, been on sale for years cars & bikes alike. 

On 5/7/2017 at 2:34 PM, Kwasaki said:

Me too maybe lets just say my own techknowledgey term sorry for that but what l call the pilot jet screw is turned in or out to change the air-fuel mixture is outside.

It is commonly called the air screw sometimes mixture screw.

I'm a stickler for correct nomenclature (I hate the term "triple tree" its a gawd damm triple clamp, cause thats what it does ....clamps 3 things)

13 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

1st....Yeah exhaust changes cause problems l try telling young Thais with older bikes here that,  who fit noisy exhausts but of course l'm a crazy falangie and know 'F' all.

2nd....What bike is it  ? ?   if Honda engine could well be no problem to sort.

3rd...If Honda engine you can email them the engine number they may be able to help, they did me on a CB400.

4th....There are carb rubber replacement kits to solve gasohol fuel problems, been on sale for years cars & bikes alike. 

That's interesting, mine is a 1983 Honda NV400 Custom, do you have an email address for Honda?

I have changed all the fuel hoses, diaphragms and float needles, that just leaves the carb/engine rubbers, which outwardly seem unaffected.

My step-son has buggad one bike messing with the exhaust and daughter's boyfriend his......and they both sounded like shit too. My NV don't sound great either...

Sorry about wandering off topic a little.

Edited by AllanB

5 hours ago, AllanB said:

That's interesting, mine is a 1983 Honda NV400 Custom, do you have an email address for Honda?

I have changed all the fuel hoses, diaphragms and float needles, that just leaves the carb/engine rubbers, which outwardly seem unaffected.

Sorry about wandering off topic a little.

We're still talking carbs and ancient :biggrin: inner washers, gaskets and rubber that can in some instances be affected by gasohol fuels that why the change out kits.

l try and find the Honda email in my archives. :biggrin: