Solar powered motion detect light

Andrew Dwyer

Anyone bought any of these here and are happy with the results ?

There are some on Lazada and probably in HomePro etc but looking for some recommendations from anyone using them.

Thinking about one for the garage/ front door area for coming home at nighttime and possibly 2 or 3 round the back of house to illuminate the area outback for myself and gf but also as a deterrent for any would be intruders .

Any replies will be welcome.

Next door neighbor installed one at his garage, seems very happy with it. If I get it right, you can even set the parameters for it going on (so the occasional cat doesn't sat it on etc). Been thinking of buying one too, just didn't get around to it.

Next door neighbor installed one at his garage, seems very happy with it. If I get it right, you can even set the parameters for it going on (so the occasional cat doesn't sat it on etc). Been thinking of buying one too, just didn't get around to it.

Sounds good, any chance of getting the makers name, or a photo, but don't take the photo at night as you will be caught red handed !! [emoji51]

5 minutes ago, Morch said:

Not solar - I bought a couple of bulbs. I have one in the stairwell, so the light comes on for a minute when you step out of any door on the landing, and also when you reach the third stair coming up.

The other one I put in a desk lamp under my bed so that a light comes on under the bed when I step on the floor...

U bought two variants, one like a bulb with a nipple, and the other like a bulb with a ring on the end with a sensor in the centre - both work nicely.

Not solar - I bought a couple of bulbs. I have one in the stairwell, so the light comes on for a minute when you step out of any door on the landing, and also when you reach the third stair coming up.

The other one I put in a desk lamp under my bed so that a light comes on under the bed when I step on the floor...

U bought two variants, one like a bulb with a nipple, and the other like a bulb with a ring on the end with a sensor in the centre - both work nicely.

Sounds good, where from ?

I bought a dozen "Eco Wedge" from Solar Center in UK. All still working well two years later.

Much better quality than previous solar lights I tried.

Seen Chinese copies in HomePro but they seemed flimsier.

The original versions are available on ebay, Amazon or direct from Solar center.

IMG_4740.JPG.5660c05f9deb918fed335df62a0c3f35.JPG

just make sure that anu model you consider - what type of battery it has...

commonly you find either:

NiCad

NiMh

Lithium

given the amount of sunlight available, a decent charge might usually keep the light going right through until daybreak

if so, then having a Nicad means it won't be fully discharged, and the battery life may begin to falter as soon as 6 moths away

If so, most models I have obtained easily enable you you to dump the NiCad, and install an NiMh in lieu

These solar lights, being LED based, even though the led fades away, the very nature of the semiconductor principlemeans that any rechargeable battery will run down, but won't actually flatten completely

This is good for the NiMh, which can be damaged if allowed to completely flatten to 0V

I recently tried out some Lithium based solar lights, and they are more commonly used as shed lights, with IR sensor built in

A solar shed LED light, with IR function, would definitely be unfavouarble to NiCads, as the NiCad will never be used enough to discharge enough daily, to recharge properly

I bought a dozen "Eco Wedge" from Solar Center in UK. All still working well two years later.
The original versions are available on ebay, Amazon or direct from Solar center.

Those look neat, looks like there's some adjustment for depth of field ?

58 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Those look neat, looks like there's some adjustment for depth of field ?

Only adjustment for sensitivity and brightness. Rechargeable batteries are easily replaceable once they reach their chargeable life. TBH I bought them as a bit of a gamble, wasn't sure they'd hold up in the Thai sun. But so far the plastic has been very UV resistant.

Only adjustment for sensitivity and brightness. Rechargeable batteries are easily replaceable once they reach their chargeable life. TBH I bought them as a bit of a gamble, wasn't sure they'd hold up in the Thai sun. But so far the plastic has been very UV resistant.

Thanks, checked them out £15 on Amazon

23 hours ago, ben2talk said:

What happens if you are lying dozing in bed and the light comes on suddenly  :shock1:

Not a bad idea, might use it in the kids room :thumbsup:

What happens if you are lying dozing in bed and the light comes on suddenly  :shock1:   Not a bad idea, might use it in the kids room :thumbsup: 

I thought I explained, I put the lamp underneath the bed. The light will only be turned on when the infrared sensor is activated. That means it will come on if somebody walks into the room, or somebody steps out of bed or dangles a hand down near the floor, but the light will go out if there is nothing moving around on the floor.  If the light is too bright, then you can quite simply put the lamp in the center of the bed - I find that if I move it away from the edges of the bed, the light bleeding out his so low that anybody sleeping will not notice it but simple floor lighting means that you can walk around the room and go to the bathroom without disturbing anybody.

For the kids bedroom, I like small LED fairy lights - The bed is elevated, so my son has a play area underneath his bed and the fairy lights are on the ceiling. When he goes into his bed, the bed is a little bit darker and the light under his bed means he can get up and climb down the ladder without needing to turn on the bright light.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes! You explained it beautifully and I understand perfectly, but I was just thinking that if you are all tucked up in bed and the light under your bed came on some THING must have triggered it  :shock1:

Nothing to worry about, probably just my over active imagination  :whistling:

:smile:  :smile:  :smile:

Just spotted this on Amazon uk site, looks pretty good with the extra leds, gets very good reviews also , £18.
IMG_3189.PNG

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Ben2talk, do you think that these bulbs would work in the light fittings in the photo ?
IMG_3199.PNG
I have a couple of these outside in the perfect position but I'm thinking that the glass is a little frosted and might hinder the motion detection ??

No - you need a separate PIR detector to set off the lights.

The bulb I bought works because the light fittings point downwards, so there's a cone of detection from the top of the bulb - the stairwell triggers as you walk up the stairs 2.5 metres below the lamp.

http://www.lazada.co.th/beautymaker-security-12m-rf-140-pir-infrared-motion-sensordetector-wall-led-light-outdoor-gray-12v-intl-26872836.html?ff=1

http://www.lazada.co.th/wisebuy-3x-infrared-pir-sensor-motion-detector-8-led-light-lamp-intl-25792171.html?ff=1

Separate detectors might be a better option if you can figure out where to put them and how to wire them in.

Edited by ben2talk

• 6 months later...

I bought five different models | brands of ip65 dusk to dawn LED floodlights powered by small solar panels and installed them myself in a Buriram village home. One brand and model worked every night for sixty days from dusk to dawn. Some brands must have had smaller batteries and did not last all night. I selected to buy seven more solar garden lights with warm light LED light fixtures and  for two installations I bought an extra 5 meter cable to connect to the five meter cable that was included in the box. A good electrician is not always available in our small town in Buriram province. I was offered a real warranty and same day replacement if the light failed by a local Buriram builders merchants store. The price was less than I see similar models on Lazada.  I was told motion sensor lights are available, but my main concern was lights going on every evening and turning off automatically every morning.  Since I have no PEA electric bill to pay for these outdoor lights, the motion sensor was not important to me. 

Buriram Thailand solar power LED floodlight ip65.jpg

The 10 watt solar panel in the outdoor ip65 LED floodlight set is very compact compared to most solar panels I see installed in Buriram. The 15 watt LED fixture in the photo is bright daylight for security lighting in my wife's Buriram village farm property. 

Buriram Thailand LED floodlight automatic sensor solar power.jpg