Keep your gates closed! Dog owners told to be more responsible after another little girl is savaged by a vicious pet dog

webfact

Keep your gates closed! Dog owners told to be more responsible after another little girl is savaged by a vicious pet dog

mSQWlZdCq5b6ZLkmwvDVrePCbzkafnA2.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

CHONBURI/PATTAYA: -- Thai people online urged dog owners to be more responsible after a six year old girl in a Chonburi housing estate was taken to hospital after being attacked by a dog.

Tri Khuntham foundation medics attended the scene at the Ban Suan Ville estate in Muang district giving first aid to the girl.

A video showed concerned neighbors milling about after they intervened to help the girl.

She was only out playing with friends in front of her home when the dog got loose and sunk its teeth into the little girls waist and upper body.

The owner of the dog - a Bang Kaew breed - said he was putting out the trash and forgot to close the gate. He took full responsibility for what happened and said he would pay for the necessary treatment.

But people commenting on the story said dog owners should be more careful to ensure their pets could not get out, reported Thai Rath.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-03

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs are a complete MENACE in Thailand and very few are kept responsibly. Down my road there are tons of them wandering around in packs and Thais are clueless and leave their gates open constantly.  Dumb is as Dumb does and more will be attacked.  Destroy that dog immediately and heavily fine the 'owner'. 

Edited by LannaGuy

Get ready for the crazy dog lovers.....

'its not the dogs fault its the owners'

'the girl must have done something to hurt the dog.. because doge never bite for no reason'

'the girl deserved it because dogs know good and bad people by instinct'

'I love dogs more than people they never lie to you etc'

Poor girl.  I love Thailand for its freedoms and lack of petty laws.  But this dog issue is one of the few things that annoy me here.. because there is no need for it and its so easy to solve.  Dog owners need to take full responsibility for their dogs.. which means having them under control at all times... kept on their property and not allowed to be free unsupervised on the streets and in public places...

3 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Dogs are a complete MENACE in Thailand and very few are kept responsibly. Down my road there are tons of them wandering around in packs and Thais are clueless and leave their gates open constantly.  Dumb is as Dumb does and more will be attacked.  Destroy that dog immediately and heavily fine the 'owner'. 

Certainly dumb & stupid

Why should one have to close their gate ( even though it's a sign to let people know not to come in " thai logic" )

The street dogs should be rounded up & sent to Cambodia & as for the owners of said dogs they should ensure that their gate is closed or on a leash when outside 

But non of them give a crap as to what others are doing unless it approaches upon their property

Just had son chased by a new dog that decided to join the other 3 already here

Other than the obvious (dog owners ought to be more responsible etc.), there's also another angle. Most dog owners I know here are quite weary of their dogs being stolen (especially if a precious breed, looks cute or locally known as fierce) - which serves as enough of a motivator to keep them from roaming around. MIL's reason for nowadays having only ugly no-good mongrels is that she's tired of them disappearing.

Like many things in Thailand, it's a matter of education and law enforcement. Or lack of.

27 minutes ago, Morch said:

it's a matter of education and law enforcement. Or lack of.

Quite right Mr. Morch.  Is there a law prohibiting dogs from attacking humans?  I know there is one for the other way round and police are quick to seize on culprits.  If this law exists it is not enough to offer to pay some medical expenses.  The owner, a rare breed of Thai who accepts responsibility, should be sued for punitive damages for trauma/scarring/distress.  If the punishment is severe enough to might just educate the vast majority of owners who allow their dogs to run free spreading diseases and causing accidents.

9 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Accidents do happen and if what the owner said is true then I am impressed he stood up took responsibility .

Actions speak louder than words.....lets hope he does actually come up with compensation to her :whistling:

34 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Your last statement is sick,    get laws to fence off land if they own a dog,  let's have a rescue body to have all strays  doctored.  dog owners to licence dogs,   stop families from buying puppies because they are nice, then kicking them out when they need more food

You obviously know my next door neighbour.

3 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

and start shooting all the soi dogs so children and elderly can be safe in their own streets.

I've never seen the point of owning a dog here. The streets are full of them, and by owning one you just create nuisance barking, poop, and danger. Many houses have "beware of the dog" signs, but if you need to warn your guests that your dog is dangerous, then why do you have a dog?

Edited by Rimmer
profane

It's the owners fault for not securing the dog. End of story.

I rarely, if ever see anyone securing their dog. The animal only becomes their dog if it is run over, then they expect compensation.

Even many who own those little furry dogs do not even bother to train the dog - they just expect it to learn on its own, including where and when to pee and defecate.

Dogs are basically menaces for any one walking or riding a bicycle, and often even those on scooters. When the dog goes after a person or another dog the so-called owner will yell at the dog, but since they provided no training, their yells are ignored unless they can get close enough to hit the dog.

And this does not even cover the complete lack of birth control measures.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

I rarely, if ever see anyone securing their dog. The animal only becomes their dog if it is run over, then they expect compensation.

Even many who own those little furry dogs do not even bother to train the dog - they just expect it to learn on its own, including where and when to pee and defecate.

Dogs are basically menaces for any one walking or riding a bicycle, and often even those on scooters. When the dog goes after a person or another dog the so-called owner will yell at the dog, but since they provided no training, their yells are ignored unless they can get close enough to hit the dog.

And this does not even cover the complete lack of birth control measures.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Last night I went to 7-eleven by scooter and had 2 dogs run after me. Fortunately I outdrove them but it can definitely be dangerous.

2 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

I've never seen the point of owning a dog here. The streets are full of them, and by owning one you just create nuisance barking, poop, and danger. Many houses have "beware of the dog" signs, but if you need to warn your guests that your dog is dangerous, then why do you have a dog?

I thought it better to design my own signs so as not to present them as dangerous. When you own larger dogs, even though not vicious, they could knock someone over very easily. They even lick harder than most as well.................:sleep:

5959df2d6ca25_Warning-DogsatPlay.jpg.b08fec586adff2464ddd477a43a545fa.jpg

4 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

I live near bali hai flover, bloody dos fighting and barking day and night. Pity Thais don't realise they need to care for them not just own them.

we had 2 pit bulls attack someone at the end of our soi just the other day, these idiots simply let the dogs roam so they dont sh*t in their own yard. We have a few dogs in our soi that will attack anyone that goes past their house so I purchased an extendable steel baton, it now goes with me when I ride or walk up the soi. The owners simply dont care, they take no responsibility at all but still crack one when you finally hit their dog when it attacks.

Edited by seajae

Agree gates should be closed if have dogs. Not only to protect outsiders, but also protect your dog (from attack/diseases etc). 

To avoid accidents, can simply have a chain with a clip near the gate to remind you to tie the dog for the brief minutes the gate has to be opened.

But! If have you young children, keep them behind your own gates also. You know what country you live in, you know the potential risks (dogs, cars, etc), why let a child so young run around the place.

Good on the owner for paying the damages. 

5 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Accidents do happen and if what the owner said is true then I am impressed he stood up took responsibility .

Paying for the treatment is good but not enough. He should also pay for suffering etc. Also the dog should be put down.

While soi dogs  are a big problem, it appears this dog is normally properly contained, but the owner left the gate open. The owner has taken responsibility for his dog his actions. Must have been quite a scary ordeal for this child and thankfully she isn't worse off.

This innocent little girl is scarred for life because some thoughtless idiot keeps a savage animal. :angry:

Here are some laws that should be introduced to Thailand -(we live in hope)

https://www.dlgc.wa.gov.au/Publications/Documents/LawsforResponsibleDogOwners.pdf

Even these laws in Western Australia don't go far enough to protect people, especially children