Planning Visa/Residence for the last 5 years in life

Hi Guys,

please let me apologize upfront for a morbid thread, but I just turned 40 so it is time to prepare a few things. I live 10 years plus in Thailand, am 12 years married with a Thai, have some property in my Thai daughter's name -- let's assume, family stays intact.

My concern is: what will happen when getting old and/or eventually survive my wife, while my daughter leaves Thailand (for business). How do you plan for the days, when you are not strong enough anymore to run through the annual visa procedure? (E.g. you get dementia or Alzheimer).

I know that Investor Visa and/or the "Thai Elite" option gives you a better tenor and I am seriously looking at that, but when you apply with 80 and then make it beyond 90, you suddenly face a process alone, which you can't handle yet, while you will have forgotten long time about you country of origin?! Looks a bit scary to me honestly.

Please allow me to ask with all due respect: How have the seniors on board planed for that scenario, especially the "last 3 years"? (Sorry for having not found better words).

Cheers

Edited by IgboChief
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Wow your presuming a lot 

I do not presume anything and for that reason I like to have a plan and also a plan B -- served me always well so far.

But thank you already for your rich and helpful contribution.

Cheers

There are no right/wrong answers to your speculative question. 

Remember one does not have to be old to be faced with a problem of incapacity. 

I presume you have long term, comprehensive health insurance which covers most eventualities ? 

13 minutes ago, IgboChief said:

I do not presume anything and for that reason I like to have a plan and also a plan B -- served me always well so far.

Cheers

I am sorry igbo but most people look forward to living their lives to the full not looking forward to death,

doom, and gloom and certainly not at the ripe old age of forty.

Why would your wife die before you and why would your daughter leave? and if they do that is what happens

in life and hard as it may be most people get back on the horse and get on with life, mainly because you have

no choice of what life throws at you.

What if your wife and you live to a ripe old age in happiness and love and your daughter gets married to a nice guy

and has your grandchildren, would that not be a better outlook for your future?

Cheer up man and enjoy life.

• Like 1

Just now, IgboChief said:

Yes of course,  but that will not sort any visa/residence permit related challenge.

Are you imagining that the Immigration Service are going to seek and deport some elderly demented person ? 

Methinks you are overthinking this issue. 

Just now, perthperson said:

Are you imagining that the Immigration Service are going to seek and deport some elderly demented person ? 

Actually, that is pretty much my point, especially when you occupy some nice property.

Also please keep in mind that just a "traffic control" can send you straight to detention when not having a valid visa (btw, in any country of the world, I am not picking Thailand on that).

5 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

What if your wife and you live to a ripe old age in happiness and love and your daughter gets married to a nice guy

and has your grandchildren, would that not be a better outlook for your future?

Best case scenario, wonderful.

Unfortunately I make money with probabilities, scenarios and stress tests and a have had to bail out a lot of people already who just thought about their next supper (but never about their last).

I really nobody planning ahead here? I start to regret already to have started the topic.

20 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The best solution to your immigration issues would likely be to work towards permanent residence. Once you have it, unless you need to travel outside Thailand, no further actions are needed.

Thank you for the good hint. I reckon that, but is that permanent residence not also good for 5 years only? (I have 2 other PR's, which are always bound to a company position and not unlimited).

As other have said, you hire an agent, or a maid / domestic helper -that you would probably need anyway if you're not in the best shape at an advanced age.

I think I remember reading here on ThaiVisa comments about older people being taken in a wheelchair to Immigration for the annual visa extension.

As long as you're financially ok at that time, solutions can be found I guess.

Alzheimer is a tricky one though.

Since I am approaching my 71st birthday  in October 2017 I can assure you there are a number of ways to do what you want.

let's just say I retired in 2011  with a monthly  pension and have been living in Thailand since that time.

It is perfectly possible I you plan ahead, know the requirements, and have a little common sense.

If I can do I so can you.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
corrected a typo

55 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Since I am approaching my 71st birthday  in October 2017 I can assure you there are a number of ways to do what you want.

let's just say I retired in 2011  with a monthly  pension and have been living in Thailand since that time.

It is perfectly possible I you plan ahead, know the requirements, and have a little common sense.

If I can do I so can you.

The OP was specific in his post.

And you have not addressed his question.

What is your plan for when dementia kicks in?

There are a number of options:

1/ Acquire a Thai girlfriend. As long as you keep the money coming in, the whole family will support you.

2/ Every September, qualified nurses who have hit age 45 are retrenched from all government hospitals. They leave with a small pension. You can hire one of these nurses to give care in your house or condo for 10,000 baht a month.

3/ In Chiang Mai, there is an aged care facility which will provide accommodation, food and around the clock nursing care for 45,000 baht/month. I assume most other cities in Thailand have similar facilities.

As far as visas go, there are plenty of agents who will do everything for you for a price.

It does help to be able to speak some Thai - not fluently, but enough to make your wishes known. It's also a good exercise in warding off Ahlzheimer's.

I've chosen option 1 because it's the most enjoyable or least depressing, depending on how you look at it.

Edited by bazza73
Add
  • Like 2

Wow, you seem to plan further ahead than I – 40 years old, I'm heading towards 68 – because I'm only vaguely beginning to think about that kind of situation, and have not yet come up with a potential solution...

I have a friend in Pattaya who is a retired pilot. He always told me how great a Thai wife he had. He always took great care of her and said she would take care of him in his later years. He developed Alzeimers and she left. Luckily I found him help through a veterans group. So sad. A good man.

Caused some self reflection as I am not a veteran.

Have an American friend married to Thai woman with Thai kids. His thoughts were similar in that what ifchis wife died in a car wreck or something and he can't own the land and home what happens. Also when both die he wants kids to own it all. It took 5 years and 400,000 baht but he obtained Thai citizenship. That cost does not count the many hours he learned to speak and write Thai. 

He said it is hard to do but doable especially with a Thai wife. I wish I could tell you more specifics but cannot. Take care 

6 hours ago, IgboChief said:

Cheers

How do you know that it will be your last 3 years? You could be dead tomorrow or live another 50 years

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Have an American friend married to Thai woman with Thai kids. His thoughts were similar in that what ifchis wife died in a car wreck or something and he can't own the land and home what happens. Also when both die he wants kids to own it all. It took 5 years and 400,000 baht but he obtained Thai citizenship. That cost does not count the many hours he learned to speak and write Thai. 

He said it is hard to do but doable especially with a Thai wife. I wish I could tell you more specifics but cannot. Take care 

There are several hurdles to getting Thai citizenship but it certainly does not cost even a tenth of 400k and speaking or writing thai is not a pre-requisite. Pls read the (very) long pinned thread on citizenship for complete details.

7 minutes ago, saakura said:

There are several hurdles to getting Thai citizenship but it certainly does not cost even a tenth of 400k and speaking or writing thai is not a pre-requisite. Pls read the (very) long pinned thread on citizenship for complete details.

I am certain it costs 400,000 baht for him (fee is about 5000 baht plus he had a lawyer) and he had to appear before a group of Thai people who asked him questions in Thai not English. Others were lined up outside the room to do the same. If you can't speak Thai or read the thai papers in Thai then I don't see how you would pass the last interview. 55555

OP, your question is indeed very valid and 40 is the right age to think about and start planning so that in 15-20 years, you can look forward to a secure and comfortable retired life. If you are earning decent wages and paying tax here, please apply for a Permanent Resident status. It is a long procedure and costs totally around 250k, valid until your death. No 90 day reports. You will need to go once a year to get a re-entry visa ONLY if you plan to travel out of Thailand. Nothing to worry if you have dementia or are incapacitated bcos you wont be travelling out in any case. Or aim for citizenship which takes longer but is cheaper.

Live each day as though it's your last and one day you will be correct.

Can't understand how anyone can figure out what particular 5 years will be the last, wish I could then I could write a bucket list and die with 5 baht in my bank.

If you have X in the bank then write a will saying how X will be split between daughter and wife etc. Any possible income after you shuffle off the mortal coil do likewise. Have the will in English and Thai with both saying the English translation will be the deciding interpretation.

Every 5 years buy a 5 year Elite visa then sit back and enjoy what you have.

I will never forget my Grandad's dying words,

Bugger me, a bus.

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

How do you know that it will be your last 3 years? You could be dead tomorrow or live another 50 years

Yes I would have to agree with this. If we all knew what our final check out date was going to be things would be so much easier to plan.

The fact is we have know idea what is going to happen tomorrow, you may still have your health, but the whole family situation that the OP described may have changed. You could be out on your own looking for rented accommodation within the next 12 months, who really knows.

Most people plan ahead to some degree, many things can be put into place, but you need to keep adjusting for changes as they occur.

You could walk outside tomorrow, get hit by a bus.... Game over.

2 hours ago, saakura said:

OP, your question is indeed very valid and 40 is the right age to think about and start planning so that in 15-20 years, you can look forward to a secure and comfortable retired life. If you are earning decent wages and paying tax here, please apply for a Permanent Resident status. It is a long procedure and costs totally around 250k, valid until your death. No 90 day reports. You will need to go once a year to get a re-entry visa ONLY if you plan to travel out of Thailand. Nothing to worry if you have dementia or are incapacitated bcos you wont be travelling out in any case. Or aim for citizenship which takes longer but is cheaper.

Thank you very much, I think that is indeed the best approach then. The money is not the problem, I also speak some Thai -- but never read or written it.

Really hope everyone else's plan will work out, not nice to get deported at 80+ after having lived her for 15+ years.

Good Luck guys and cheers.

2 hours ago, saakura said:

paying tax here.

Minor issue: Will tax on capital gains suffice? Cause I do not work here (seriously) and so do not pay income tax.

Is there a minimum amount of annual tax to be paid for the PR?

Cheers

• Like 1