North Korea fires ballistic missile ahead of G20 summit

webfact

North Korea fires ballistic missile ahead of G20 summit

tag-reuters.jpg

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un reacts during a ballistic rocket test-fire through a precision control guidance system in this undated photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) May 30, 2017. KCNA/via REUTERS

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea launched a ballistic missile from its western region into the sea off its east coast on Tuesday, South Korea's military said, ahead of a summit of leaders from the Group of 20 countries in Germany later this week.

The missile flew for about 40 minutes and may have landed in Japan's Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), the Japanese government said, adding that it had strongly protested what was a clear violation of UN resolutions.

The missile was launched around 0040 GMT from an airfield in Panghyon, about 100 km (60 miles) northwest of the North's capital, Pyongyang, the South Korean military said.

The North's missile launch is the last since Pyongyang fired several cruise missiles in early June and comes ahead of the leaders of the United States, China, Japan and South Korea are expected to discuss efforts to rein in the North's nuclear and missile tests the G20 summit on July 7 to 8.

Pyongyang has been working to develop a nuclear-tipped missile capable of hitting the United States.

Earlier this week, North Korea was a key topic in phone calls between U.S. President Donald Trump and the leaders of China and Japan. Leaders of both Asian countries reaffirmed their commitment to a denuclearised Korean Peninsula.

Tuesday's missile launch also comes ahead of July 4 Independence Day celebrations in the United States. North Korea has previously fired missiles around this U.S. holiday.

South Korea's presidential Blue House said President Moon Jae-in called a national security council meeting for 0230 GMT after being informed of the North's missile launch.

Last week after his first summit with Moon, Trump called for a determined response to North Korea, stressing the importance of the alliance between the two countries.

(Reporting by Jack Kim and Christine Kim; Additional reporting by Elaine Lies in TOKYO; Editing by Lincoln Feast)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-04

According to the BBC...

An announcement on North Korea state television said a Hwasong-14 missile was tested on Tuesday, overseen by leader Kim Jong-un.

The announcement said the projectile reached an altitude of 2,802km (1,731 miles) and flew 933km before hitting a target in the sea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40491138

I think it should have read, "...and flew 933km before hitting it's target, the sea".

I think Mexico, Canada, Russia and China should be more worried than America.:coffee1:

2 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Yes, I agree with some of the comments here...but that's what worries me. NK might hit something they intended to miss which might plunge the region into an accidental war zone.

Well, the missiles aren't armed so I suppose an errant one might kill a few people but the odds against that happening are huge.

9 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Just Kim raising his middle finger to Mr Trump again

I think he wore it out raising it to Trump's predecessor.  (I'm surprised he didn't die laughing.)

Obama is obviously how we got to this point.  Trump is just the one having to deal with it.

30 minutes ago, Puccini said:

Why don't the USA use the Nothing Korean missile launchers as an opportunity for target practice in shooting down enemy missiles? Are they afraid they might fail?

Duh.  Why waste an advanced system on unarmed test missiles?

19 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Well, the missiles aren't armed so I suppose an errant one might kill a few people but the odds against that happening are huge.

It was not the killing of a few people from a 'blank' that I was thinking about.

4 hours ago, CutiePi said:

There is some unfinished business on the Korean peninsula from 70 years ago... my hope is that President Trump finishes it.

Yes precisely, and the firing of 'blank' missiles could be seen as a direct provocation toward that end.

5 hours ago, CutiePi said:

There is some unfinished business on the Korean peninsula from 70 years ago... my hope is that President Trump finishes it.

Why, when it is nobody's business apart from the Koreans themselves? 

Just now, baboon said:

When a nuclear-armed state makes direct threats against the United States, which N. Korea has done, it's America's business.

3 minutes ago, CutiePi said:

When a nuclear-armed state makes direct threats against the United States, which N. Korea has done, it's America's business.

They have made threats that IF ATTACKED, they would retaliate.

How is it that it is OK for the nuclear armed US to threaten countries, using your logic?

5 minutes ago, baboon said:

Is there any movement on uniting the 2 Koreas?  Maybe that's a naive question, but on the surface, it appears both Koreas want to unite.  I assume the biggest problem to uniting is the Kim family insisting Fat Boy be the top banana.  It's too bad they, particularly the N.Koreans, don't know how to discuss things.  There are similarities with China/Taiwan  and  China/Tibet.   Asians take top prize for holding grudges deeper and longer than any other ethnic group, except maybe Arabs.

11 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Is there any movement on uniting the 2 Koreas?  Maybe that's a naive question, but on the surface, it appears both Koreas want to unite.  I assume the biggest problem to uniting is the Kim family insisting Fat Boy be the top banana.  It's too bad they, particularly the N.Koreans, don't know how to discuss things.  There are similarities with China/Taiwan  and  China/Tibet.   Asians take top prize for holding grudges deeper and longer than any other ethnic group, except maybe Arabs.

And the South don't want reunification under their system?

But that is by the by. Remember that outside countries are quite happy with the current situation on the peninsula, no matter how they huff and puff about it. China and Russia wouldn't want an American client state on their borders, the US military industrialists would lose another enemy, Japan wouldn't want the economic competition from a unified Korean powerhouse...

Edited by baboon

Interesting comments today by the commander of US forces in South Korea...

Self-restraint, which is a choice, is all that separates armistice and war,” said General Brooks, referring to the 1953 cease-fire that halted but never officially ended the Korean War. “As this alliance missile live-fire shows, we are able to change our choice when so ordered by our alliance national leaders. (Source: New York Times)

It's starting to get interesting indeed.

Can USA really afford to play Russian roulette with this country?

Apart from the  ICBM threat,  If North Korea does have the ability to launch an EMP attack over America in space does America really have the ability to survive being sent back to the dark ages when its infrastructure is fried?

5 minutes ago, midas said:

Can USA really afford to play Russian roulette with this country?

Apart from the  ICBM threat,  If North Korea does have the ability to launch an EMP attack over America in space does America really have the ability to survive being sent back to the dark ages when its infrastructure is fried?

I have not seen any reports that N. Korea possesses an electromagnetic pulse weapon of any significance. However, I do think this rogue regime should be swept into the dust-bin of history...the sooner the better.