Online Shopping

superal

I have to say that online shopping with Lazada is in the main very convenient , discounted prices with payment options on many goods including " cash on delivery "  My only grumble is the Thai to English translation .  Sometimes the translation button is not to be seen unless you page back and when it is found the product description is often mostly in Thai with a scattering of English .

Having said that I have bought items such as large screen t.v. , kitchen electrical wares , various household items etc . They always seem to beat there quoted delivery dates as well . Good service apart from the language  translation .     Now I notice there is another company called      11th Street   with a similar web page set up  and likewise with the language detail , has anyone used them ?

Lazada in general gives good service.

The bad translation is compounded by the fact that you cannot contact the seller and ask a question whereas some others give you the option to ask a question.

Many times I have had to stop ordering because the description is so vague.

I did get a bit miffed when they said they must have a copy of my passport before giving a 160 baht refund but a few choice swear words made them change their mind.

Thanks for the heads up about 11th Street, after a quick look they seem more expensive but I will keep looking in case a bargain pops up

Just now, New beginnings said:

When using Lazada I copy and paste description of product in Google translate which gets around the problem for me.

and me too sometimes but have to laugh at some of the translations that do not make sense 

I typically use Lazada but have had success with Banggood, Shopat24 and SuperTStore.

I also use aliexpress for miscellaneous items. It typically takes longer to ship but never had an issue receiving any item though sometimes quality lacks.

4 minutes ago, misterphil said:

Browse Lazada in Google Chrome and set it to always translate Thai. It works on sites like Kaidee really good. 

lazada has a english option. Press on the the thai flag and change the language

17 minutes ago, Mooner said:

lazada has a english option. Press on the the thai flag and change the language

It does , but it does not give the description in English if the item is sent from within Thailand.

Lazada bothers me in several ways:

--the lacking EN translation aspect, compounded by oftentimes inaccurate or out-of-date product descriptions.

--the requirement to pay in advance for anything not sourced locally in Thailand, even though they sell tons of cheap, poor quality junk stuff sourced from who knows where.

--a very poorly executed website search function that often requires you to wade thru tons of irrelevant items in order to actually find what you asked for...

I could go on....  Let's leave post-sale customer service issues for another day.

4 hours ago, Silurian said:

I typically use Lazada but have had success with Banggood, Shopat24 and SuperTStore.

I also use aliexpress for miscellaneous items. It typically takes longer to ship but never had an issue receiving any item though sometimes quality lacks.

We are talking about thai shops, not chinese.

11street is new http://www.11street.co.th

Girlfriend often buys cosmetics on https://www.beauty-siam.com

What else?

Edited by bangkokairportlink

For IT items, I have used InvadeIT located in Hua Hin - good easy to navigate website - often with a link to the manufacturer's website specifications.  Ordering is a breeze - I use bank to bank transfer for payment or credit card or, I think paypal - you can choose shipping method - Thai post EMS is as I recall lowest with Kerry Express being the fastest, which I usually choose - it may take 2 or 3 days for it to  be shipped (you receive email with tracking number), but it has always arrived the next day.  If you communicate with them, no problem with their English.

8 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

We are talking about thai shops, not chinese.

Woah, geez calm down dude. No need to get snippy. I was just suggesting options.

BTW - shopat24.com and supertstore.com are Thai.

There is also powerbuy.co.th which sometimes can have good deals.

Edited by Silurian

7 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

For IT items, I have used InvadeIT located in Hua Hin - good easy to navigate website - often with a link to the manufacturer's website specifications.  Ordering is a breeze - I use bank to bank transfer for payment or credit card or, I think paypal - you can choose shipping method - Thai post EMS is as I recall lowest with Kerry Express being the fastest, which I usually choose - it may take 2 or 3 days for it to  be shipped (you receive email with tracking number), but it has always arrived the next day.  If you communicate with them, no problem with their English.

I am concerned about paying upfront as I have heard stories of customers not receiving the purchased goods for one reason or another and then the pursuing problems . I suppose if the delivery company has a tracking service that would promote more confidence . I much prefer C.O.D. and the article can be viewed before money is handed over .

On 2017-07-04 at 9:21 AM, superal said:

Now I notice there is another company called      11th Street   with a similar web page set up  and likewise with the language detail , has anyone used them ?

Lazada has pretty much become a dumping ground for cheap Chinese products after the Alibaba takeover last year - people are seriously questioning the quality + the site navigation sucks due to the enormous assortment (you rarely find any relevant results in the searches).

11th Street focuses on Korean products, which the Thais go crazy for. It has much better search and the quality of the products is generally higher. There are daily actions (Shocking Bid) and other discounted daily deals.

I use Lzd for some commodity goods, but for browsing/shopping new products I use 11th Street. As for the language issues - remember that >99% of the revenue from these sites come from Thai customers. They are not really focused on catering for foreigners in Thailand.

There are some new serious players coming into SEA, Amazon has opened an office and are beefing up to get started. Good from a consumer perspective as there is a prize war coming at the horizon.

Edited by ThailandLOS

Did anyone here order more expensive items from China?  Were you charged customs taxes and VAT?  I'm thinking about ordering a soldering/desoldering station from Aliexpress (about 8000 Baht including shipping).

I've bought tons of cheap stuff from Chinese/HK-based sellers without ever paying taxes, but with a box weighing 7-8kg and costing about 8,000 Baht total it might be different.  

Edited by ChidlomDweller

1.5 year ago i bought a car entertainment system (7" screen) with android. Was not available in thailand and wanted full android compatibility. Via ali express. System was 9900thb. I paid 1100 import tax.free shipping. Guess around 1.5kg package...

By the way. Dx.com is also chinese big site

Edited by tracker
Add info

16 hours ago, soisanuk said:

Never found any item cheaper or even at the same price as most shops in Thailand.

But I am the kind of customer who do not need serve and advice, I just need price, everything else I know it better than any seller, thanks to Internet.

Believe it or not, I'm going to make my very first online purchase with lazada (or any Thai sites for that  matter) for a flat screen TV and would like to ask TV members who are used to shopping on this site if there is anything I need to watch out for when checking out (I have watched their "tutorial" which show a number of steps to go through). I'm going to choose "cash and delivery" option and wonder how that would play out: do they give a time window  in which I need be at home waiting for the goods to be delivered; or can I give the cash to my reception downstairs in my building to sign and pay for the delivery on my behalf (in case I need to go out)? Also is it recommended to open the box and check the content before handing over the cash?

I know these are really  elementary points but as someone who never have done this before I would appreciate some heads up if there is any. Thank you much in advance.

Edited by smo

They will give you parameter dates for delivery....They will follow that up with an email verification....

They will also send a reminder by SMS.....Usually the day before....

On the day of delivery they usually call with an hour update or tell you they're close by (Thai).....If you don't answer they will still try & deliver.....

For your TV they will probably use Kerry - Thailand's version of UPS....

Have your money ready & make the exchange and sign for it....

It's also possible they might source a. local vendor to deliver & set up = don't know - have never bought a TV from them.....

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

They will give you parameter dates for delivery....They will follow that up with an email verification....

They will also send a reminder by SMS.....Usually the day before....

On the day of delivery they usually call with an hour update or tell you they're close by (Thai).....If you don't answer they will still try & deliver.....

For your TV they will probably use Kerry - Thailand's version of UPS....

Have your money ready & make the exchange and sign for it....

It's also possible they might source a. local vendor to deliver & set up = don't know - have never bought a TV from them.....

I endorse all your comments . I also ordered a smart tv from Lazada using the C.O.D. payment method . What I did however was not liked by the delivery guy . I insisted that I take the tv out of the  protective package to ensure that there was no in transit damage , all was good . My only complaint was when I tried to install the tv to a wall . I purchased the appropriate rear support frame which came with an inbuilt spirit level but when the tv was fitted to the frame it was nowhere near level , the spirit level device was a joke . Better to use your own tools . That was 2 years ago and all has been good  .Just one further piece of advice , sometimes the deliveries are made by a local guy with an oldish pickup as was the case with me but when the cash payment was made to the driver  which my lady gave, there was no receipt given , I was concerned but all was kosher and I received an email of confirmation . 

I have ordered from Lazada 55 times.

Sometimes I pay by debit card and sometimes I pay COD.

Never a problem with payment.

I have had to return 3 items,  2 were defective and 1 was not as described.

Never a problem with getting a full refund and they even reimburse you for the return postage.

On 7/5/2017 at 8:30 AM, soisanuk said:

I have used InvadeIT

I used them a short while ago but when I went looking today the web site is down again? It went bad a few weeks ago as well? What's going on. Nothing on their FB about it.

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/invadeit.co.th.html

** Update - sorry, maybe its OK again now. !

Edited by WorriedNoodle

On 7/6/2017 at 10:16 PM, MickTurator said:

I have ordered from Lazada 55 times.

Sometimes I pay by debit card and sometimes I pay COD.

Never a problem with payment.

I have had to return 3 items,  2 were defective and 1 was not as described.

Never a problem with getting a full refund and they even reimburse you for the return postage.

Thank you to all who have responded for your very helpful and generous advice. I really appreciated that.

Re making returns, does it work like in the states where you have to contact customer service first to get an RMA# (I guess stands for return merchandise approval code)  which you include in your package before sending it back to them? does lazada has english speaking staff if you have to call their customer service?

thank you again for your time.

2 minutes ago, smo said:

Thank you to all who have responded for your very helpful and generous advice. I really appreciated that.

Re making returns, does it work like in the states where you have to contact customer service first to get an RMA# (I guess stands for return merchandise approval code)  which you include in your package before sending it back to them? does lazada has english speaking staff if you have to call their customer service?

thank you again for your time.

Yes they do have English speaking agents . When you call them you will be given options  i.e. press 1 for THAI , Press 2 for English or something like that . Varying degrees of competency but always polite . Regarding returns , Haven't done that yet but came close with a smart tv but turned out I was at fault not understanding correct setup . However they were prepared to take it back with the proviso that all items were inside the packaging as delivered and that is not easy , reckon it was packed by a robot . Could not achieve it and had 1 item loose but as it happened did not matter as I found out what the problem was and all ok .

After a recent purchase of kitchen tools I was asked by Lazada to complete a survey on their online business .You may have read previously that I posted here about the lack of product description in English and that is what I told them . I received 2 email replies , both standard auto replies and the 2nd one asking for a product order number . I wrote back asking " why is it that Lazada do not have a c/s dept; ? and that I do not like speaking to robots . The next day I had a call from their c/s asking me to explain my complaint which I did . The agents replies mostly consisted of " ok I understand , sorry sir " and finally " thankyou for using "Lazada " . There was no constructive discussion but at least they had the courtesy to respond .  

51 minutes ago, smo said:

Re making returns, does it work like in the states where you have to contact customer service first to get an RMA# (I guess stands for return merchandise approval code)  which you include in your package before sending it back to them?

Yes you must get a RMA# code first.

It is very easy to do online, just print out the return label and ALL the relevant info that they need is on that label.

No need for you to add anything extra.

Then you take the parcel to your nearest 7-11 and they give you a proof of posting slip.  No money to pay.

The only annoying bit was that they phoned up and asked for a copy of passport to send a refund.

I refused point blank but they sent the refund anyway.