Reminder: Buddhist Booze Ban In Effect This Weekend

snoop1130

Reminder: Buddhist Booze Ban In Effect This Weekend

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

done-696x464.jpg

BANGKOK — Alcohol sales will be prohibited this weekend, as per regulations that ban the sale of booze on important Buddhist holidays.

Thailand will mark Asahna Bucha on Saturday, while the start of three-month Buddhist Lent – during which monks cannot spend a night anywhere outside their monasteries – is due to take place Sunday. Monday will also be a day off in Thailand, as a day of observance.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/2017/07/04/reminder-buddhist-booze-ban-effect-weekend/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-7-4

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha Ha Ha , 555, did this memo get out to all the mom and pop stores, who could not give a flying fire ball, they are there to make money and put food on the table.

I have lived here for 12 years and any ban has never stopped them selling on banned days.

Amazing Thailand.

Make money quick, used to be a Hong Kong moto.

Yay! Watch all the people who 'don't care' that they're not able to buy booze over the weekend get really vitriolic with people who do mind. 

Does giving up alcohol for a couple of days make you a better person? Of course not. Will it be good for your body? Well, if you're a heavy drinker then no, and if you're a social drinker then no. 

You can't force people to be good. You can encourage them to be good though. Best way is usually to set examples. How about no corruption over the weekend. 

The 7-11s and alike  will up hold the ban ,but our 2 local  shops  in our Soi  will not  for certain , can not afford to do so ,if someone wants to buy some  Lao Khow at 7.00 am ,they wil sell it for certain ,I would say  these local shops  will out number  the 7-11s by  at least 9 to 1 ,nie on impossible to enforce  to .

As for banning alcohol  sales for 3 months ,never ,how much tax  would a government lose , and the Carlsberg's  of this would  not be over happy at the loss of sales .

47 minutes ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Ha Ha Ha , 555, did this memo get out to all the mom and pop stores, who could not give a flying fire ball, they are there to make money and put food on the table.

I have lived here for 12 years and any ban has never stopped them selling on banned days.

Amazing Thailand.

Good for brown bag sales too!  :)

1 hour ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Amazing Thailand.

On banned days, easy to drop into the local mom and pop shop, stuff the beers into the back pack,  pay and slip out the door with a bag of snacks... everyone's happy.  

Guys guys...where I live, very stuck in Europe, not a muslim country, booze sales  in shops are banned from 9 pm to 6am...yes sir!...not in the clubs,  bars or hotels but in the shops that stay open 24/7, no booze sales after 9 pm...so what's the deal?...you just purchase your liter of gasoil before the curfew and stock it or go down to the dance clubs if you really need a shot...I don't see what's the problem here??

Edited by observer90210

34 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Guys guys...where I live, very stuck in Europe, not a muslim country, booze sales  in shops are banned from 9 pm to 6am...yes sir!...not in the clubs,  bars or hotels but in the shops that stay open 24/7, no booze sales after 9 pm...so what's the deal?...you just purchase your liter of gasoil before the curfew and stock it or go down to the dance clubs if you really need a shot...I don't see what's the problem here??

Old Norwegian style: Buy a bottle of coke at the dance, go to the toilet and shake it ( euh the bottle), cola on the walls so what, fill the now half empty bottle up with the home brew you brought hidden in a pocket of your coat, back to the dance.

4 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Why not just ban booze for the whole 3 months.. It's going to happen eventually

because my wife's boozing monk uncle would start suffering from withdrawal symptoms.

When I asked my wife what they were chanting , she Joked  "I want laptop,  I want whiskey, I want money" LOL

If I understand correctly, Thailand will adopt the same attitude as Egypt Airlines: We can not drink, therefore you can not drink.

Luckily there will still be edible food available in Thailand, unlike on Egyptair flights.

My girlfriend doesn't drink for her heath, so no problem.  I recently cut back to only drinking every other day.  Only one or two.  That's 3.5 to 7 drinks a week.  Compared to some of you guys, I'm practically sober and virtually unaffected by these bans.  Can't touch this. ?

4 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

My girlfriend doesn't drink for her heath, so no problem.  I recently cut back to only drinking every other day.  Only one or two.  That's 3.5 to 7 drinks a week.  Compared to some of you guys, I'm practically sober and virtually unaffected by these bans.  Can't touch this. ?

It's not really about whether you drink or don't, it's about being told what you can and cant do in your free time.  It's also pretty awful for a tourist coming to Thailand for a holiday to find out they cant have a glass of wine with dinner, given the money they've paid to get here.  It also hurts any business that sells alcohol, whether it be shops, bars, restaurants etc  quite badly. If I were to be told that I could not have a drink on my Thailand holiday, I would not come to Thailand for that holiday. It's absurd.

2 hours ago, Nowisee said:

On banned days, easy to drop into the local mom and pop shop, stuff the beers into the back pack,  pay and slip out the door with a bag of snacks... everyone's happy.  

Do you mean that Thais are not interested in following the rule of law? I'm shocked and surprised, I tell you.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

Old Norwegian style: Buy a bottle of coke at the dance, go to the toilet and shake it ( euh the bottle), cola on the walls so what, fill the now half empty bottle up with the home brew you brought hidden in a pocket of your coat, back to the dance.

High five LOL on that!!....An excellent reminder you ake here!!..it reminds me so much of when I was a teen...I had that empty cleaned bottle of Dettol, filled with whisky borrowed from my dad's chest!....:burp::cheesy:and topped my drinks as you said in the loo...nobody understood till today how I got so high just on coca cola!!

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

If I understand correctly, Thailand will adopt the same attitude as Egypt Airlines: We can not drink, therefore you can not drink.

Luckily there will still be edible food available in Thailand, unlike on Egyptair flights.

No booze on Egyptair flights???...even on long haul internatational routes?

1 hour ago, stephen tracy said:

Yes it was mate, but I actually do know a Thai Muslim guy that drinks like a fish. He hates booze ban days. That's why I said "non-observant Muslims".

And you should take the others to a trip du Dubai Hotels...a majority of the patrons are local sheiks in traditionnal attire, catering booze to international blonde...assistants, let's say!!

1 hour ago, stephen tracy said:

It's not really about whether you drink or don't, it's about being told what you can and cant do in your free time.  It's also pretty awful for a tourist coming to Thailand for a holiday to find out they cant have a glass of wine with dinner, given the money they've paid to get here.  It also hurts any business that sells alcohol, whether it be shops, bars, restaurants etc  quite badly. If I were to be told that I could not have a drink on my Thailand holiday, I would not come to Thailand for that holiday. It's absurd.

Nobody says you can't have a drink.  You just can't buy it at a bar or restaurant, at least not legally.  Get a grip and grow up a little.  If you wanna' drink, just buy it ahead of time and have it in your room.  The prohibition, as limited as it is, is certainly not at all absurd - they just didn't clear it with you first and that's your gripe.   You're just sulking about it because it's not about you.  It's their religious observance, the dates are easily checked on the internet, there aren't that many of them, and Thais are entitled to it.   Try not to be an ugly foreigner by trying to get a Mom & Pop to violate the law and religious tradition and sell to you.   LOTS of monkey-business going on in Thailand FAR more worthy of comment.