Portrait of Thai culture as Constable shows student who is the Old Master

webfact

3.jpg

Picture: Daily News

SAMUT SAKHON: -- Thai social media was rife with comment after a rich old police constable driving a Mercedes Benz slapped a student after he scratched his car.

The cop was turning into a soi in Samut Sakhon but didn't indicate.

The student - in a scout's uniform - went into the back of the Mercedes and came off.

But no sooner had the frightened teen dusted himself off and got up, the driver of the car gave him a whack around the head.

The story was reported on Facebook by a man called Padiphon Chaiyabut who told Daily News online that he was driving behind the Mercedes and saw it all - nearly running over the student himself.

When the old man in the car had hit the student and taken a photo of his his ID he started filming as others in the vicinity came over to help calm the situation.

Padiphon said that the old man in the car was going on about how rich he was but he still wanted money from the boy's mum and dad for the damage.

The boy wai-ed a lot but there was a lot of bad language.

However, after some time he relented and drove off.

Padiphon wondered why he didn't call the cops but was told later that the man was in fact a police constable who owned a timber yard in the area.

The story was shared thousands of times with comment all over Thai social media.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-05

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did a lowly police constable get money from for a merc?

Owner of a  timber yard, where did the money come from, corruption thats where from.

Bloody arrogant prick, needs a damn good slap himself.

8 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Owner of a  timber yard, where did the money come from, corruption thats where from.

Nothing to do with what happened here, better to stick with what's relevant and the facts.

The driver did not indicate to other road users that he intended to take a turn ( by using his indicator) which is what caused the student to hit his car.

This arrogance seems to common amoung many Thai drivers.

Every Thai knows who is effectively in charge and who is supposed to bow to their superiors.

If you don't you haven't lived in Thailand long enough.

In other countries, failing to signal a turn and being hit from the rear is usually a indicator of being at fault.

But this is Thailand.

26 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Sometimes Headline Writers can be seen as "trying too hard to be clever".

Yes I agree.

I saw the headline in the ThaiVisa email and only clicked on the link, because I was expecting to read a story about the English painter, John Constable, having made a previously unknown visit to Thailand.  So disappointed ?

Just another typical Thai road incident. Old man drives like he is the only one on the road and causes a teen that is not legally allowed to ride a motorbike to hit the car. Then the old man exerts his age and position to put the blame on the kid. This happens everyday all over Thailand because there is  no traffic law enforcement. The highly paternalistic culture lets elders and the rich abuse others with impunity and is accepted as a cultural norm.

55 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Sometimes Headline Writers can be seen as "trying too hard to be clever".

And failing quite badly. 

Edited by Bluespunk

25 minutes ago, silver sea said:

Yes I agree.

I saw the headline in the ThaiVisa email and only clicked on the link, because I was expecting to read a story about the English painter, John Constable, having made a previously unknown visit to Thailand.  So disappointed ?

Me too: exactly! Hehe!

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Typing error.

Should read ARROGANT !

Rich, arrogant and some more words that may not be printed here.

How is it possible a constable owns a timber yard, or drive a Mercedes.

OK, I know it is an overrated, overpriced "face" car, but how can he, maybe, own one?

Hear, hear, Mercedes & BMW drivers, anywhere in the world, can't be trusted.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Very good question!

23 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Blurring faces of the guitly is a strange cultural phenomenon. Perhaps people will recognize the old fool anyway.

Publishing this clip on an English laguage forum, blurred out as it is, is a valueless waste of time. Show us the original, or don't flog it as "news".

7 hours ago, silver sea said:

Yes I agree.

And just for a moment I thought that this story was about art ( Constable, Old Master). Hmmmm

It looks like the boy has a new motorbike, no helmet and maybe too young for a licence. Good driving, riding means you should always be back far enough within your braking distance. Easier said than done here. I'm surprised he was not made to wai to the car. Will this ex policeman be charged with assault? Yes. When the cow jumps over the moon.:saai:

2 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

Isn't there a special investigation unit that is supposed to Investigate obvious corruption. They should be knocking on this guys door to find out the source of his wealth!

Na, too many committees and sub-committees needed to chose qualified members for the investigation team.