Complaint lodged against franchise operator selling amulets and talismans

webfact

Complaint lodged against franchise operator selling amulets and talismans

By Thai PBS

sarika2.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A group of 13 investors have lodged a complaint with Thai PBS’s People Station programme, claiming they were cheated of 15 million baht they had invested in a franchise selling Sarika Linthong amulets and talismans for worshipping.

The group brought samples of amulets and talismans which were claimed to be made of sandal wood by the franchise operator to be shown to reporters of Thai PBS’s People Station.

The victims said they applied to be memberships of the franchise operator via the Pumpuy Apple Shop Facebook page and each of them paid between 300,000- 2,000,000 baht as the starting investment for the franchise right to sell the talismans and amulets.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/complaint-lodged-franchise-operator-selling-amulets-talismans/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-05

"sale at the market was priced at 40 baht apiece while that charged by the franchise ranged from 3,000-5,000 baht apiece."

they never did their due diligence,or even check what the product was been sold at by other traders,

regards worgeordie

OK, I admit that I buy amulets. Of those I have 70% are bought directly from a temple or organisation (ex. Chang Mai University), 25% are bought from people I know (mostly people needing money for the bills... or drinks) and 5% comes from amulet markets (max price 500 Baht).
I have no idea if it works but there are amulets and charms in all religions and here in Thailand its sometimes easier to get accepted in some places when you come as a foreigner.

My definition of real and fake amulets:

Real amulets are blessed by monks (sometimes for months), some monks even make the amulets themselves (I have some hand carved amulets bought directly from the temple... I did even watch the monk carve a few amulets) and usually they are made to raise money for a specific purpose (LP Koon did raise money for schools and hospitals!) or even to pay the temples utility bills (I know one temple that make 1 type of amulet a year, the sales pay for water, electricity and maintenance of the temple).
And my amulet from Chang Mai university were sold to raise money for a scholarship for veterinary students.

Fake amulets are mass produced in factories, has not even been to a temple and all profit goes directly to a company/salesperson.

I also know temples that not make any amulets at all as the abbot dont believe in them...

Edited by Kasset Tak

8 hours ago, webfact said:

they were cheated of 15 million baht they had invested in a franchise selling Sarika Linthong amulets and talismans for worshipping

How can someone be cheated from investing in objects that are fundamentally fakes in their perceived use? The only thing being cheated is the opportunity to cheat other people who buy the objects.