North Korea says tested ICBM that can carry large nuclear warhead - KCNA

webfact

By Jack Kim and Christine Kim

tag-reuters.jpg

A man watches a TV broadcast of a news report on North Korea's ballistic missile test, at a railway station in Seoul, South Korea, July 4, 2017. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea said on Wednesday it had conducted a test of a newly developed intercontinental ballistic missile that can carry a large and heavy nuclear warhead, triggering a call by Washington for global action to hold Pyongyang accountable for its pursuit of nuclear weapons.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said the successful test completed the country's strategic weapons capability that includes atomic and hydrogen bombs and ICBMs.

He added Pyongyang would not negotiate with the United States to give up those weapons until Washington abandons its hostile policy against the North, the country's KCNA news agency said.

The test on Tuesday successfully verified the technical requirements of the newly developed ICBM in stage separation, the atmospheric re-entry of the warhead and the late-stage control of the warhead, KCNA said.

A spokeswoman for the Pentagon said the United States had concluded that North Korea test-launched an ICBM.

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called for international action, saying the test was a new escalation of Pyongyang's nuclear threat.

In a statement, Tillerson warned that any country that hosts North Korea workers, provides economic or military aid to Pyongyang, or fails to implement U.N. sanctions "is aiding and abetting a dangerous regime."

"All nations should publicly demonstrate to North Korea that there are consequences to their pursuit of nuclear weapons," Tillerson said.

The U.N. Security Council will hold an emergency meeting on the matter at 3 p.m. EDT (1900 GMT) on Wednesday, following a request by the United States, Japan and South Korea.

The North's state media said the missile, Hwasong-14, flew 933 km (580 miles), reaching an altitude of 2,802 km (1,741 miles) over a flight time of 39 minutes.

Some analysts said the flight details suggested the new missile had a range of more than 8,000 km (4,970 miles), which would put significant parts of the U.S. mainland in range, representing major advances in its programme.

(Reporting by Jack Kim and Christine Kim; Additional reporting by Lesley Wroughton and Phil Stewart in Washington and Michelle Nichols in New York; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
    -- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-05

4 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

I cant believe the us is doing nothing but idle threats. This guys going to kill a lot of people soon, and it seems as though the world is going to let it happen.

Yes he may kill a lot of people soon, but the majority are going to be his people. The real tragedy will be for South Korea though. Not much they can do to keep out of it.

29 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

I cant believe the us is doing nothing but idle threats. This guys going to kill a lot of people soon, and it seems as though the world is going to let it happen.

Don't worry, we'll get rid of Trump before he kills anyone.

Why is everyone so concerned about North Korea ? They will not attack any country, this is just warnings to the US to deter them from attacking. North Korea is a state that commit daily crimes against humanity, but lets look at their warmongering record. If you look at how many countries they (NK) have destabilised or how many wars they started on foreign soil or how many foreigners they have killed in those foreigners own countries they are pale in comparison to the US's record. So who do you think is more likely to start a war ? 

As for THAAD it is of no use in Korea. There lives 10 million South Koreans within 20 km of the DMZ which cannot be protected by THAAD (a nuclear device can be delivered by artillery). The so called failed missile launches that was headlines in the stupid western media was not failed launches but it was tests for EMP devices. For an effective EMP attack the nuclear device must explode +- 30 km above the ground (about the same height at which the NK missiles exploded) and can be delivered by missile or can be launched by balloon from ships off the US coastline. The US military knows this and they know they are defenceless against such low tech attacks.  

It is a stalemate as the US cannot attack them without suffering severe losses and they cannot attack without been taken out. The only way out is to negotiate, yes the US must talk to them (NK, China and Russia) and not use brute force they so often use.

55 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

This is really bad news as now PM Prayut will want one

When China realizes that the only US option is to encourage the Japanese and South Koreans to develop one, they might take interest.

This would be a radical departure from non-proliferation policy but Trump may change that stance someday. It is said that Japan technologically could develop on very quickly and already have the plans and means to produce plutonium. But they would need to change their constitution which will be a challenge.

17 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Why is everyone so concerned about North Korea ? They will not attack any country, this is just warnings to the US to deter them from attacking. North Korea is a state that commit daily crimes against humanity, but lets look at their warmongering record. If you look at how many countries they (NK) have destabilised or how many wars they started on foreign soil or how many foreigners they have killed in those foreigners own countries they are pale in comparison to the US's record. So who do you think is more likely to start a war ? 

As for THAAD it is of no use in Korea. There lives 10 million South Koreans within 20 km of the DMZ which cannot be protected by THAAD (a nuclear device can be delivered by artillery). The so called failed missile launches that was headlines in the stupid western media was not failed launches but it was tests for EMP devices. For an effective EMP attack the nuclear device must explode +- 30 km above the ground (about the same height at which the NK missiles exploded) and can be delivered by missile or can be launched by balloon from ships off the US coastline. The US military knows this and they know they are defenceless against such low tech attacks.  

It is a stalemate as the US cannot attack them without suffering severe losses and they cannot attack without been taken out. The only way out is to negotiate, yes the US must talk to them (NK, China and Russia) and not use brute force they so often use.

What is your source for this? I follow nuclear proliferation quite closely and have never seen this published before

1 hour ago, scotchonrocks said:

What is your source for this? I follow nuclear proliferation quite closely and have never seen this published before

As for the EMP technology transfer and threat -

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/170563-north-korea-emp

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/north-korea-emp-strike-us-claim-kim-jong-un-attack-west-trump-a7725121.html

http://www.wnd.com/2017/04/north-korean-weapon-called-existential-threat-to-u-s/

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/north-korean-nuclear-emp-attack-the-threat-america-downplays-21010

Some reading for you to catch up what you missed. As for the low tech balloon launch option I read about 2 weeks ago but can't find the article again. 

I know if the us navy can get t boned by a oil tanker things are not as high tech as they seem. However i still think a few well placed attacks would wipe out north korea nuclear program. It needs to be done before this guy who killed his own brother in kuala lumpur airport decides to take out his neighbors just to prove he can.

Just now, quadperfect said:

I know if the us navy can get t boned by a oil tanker things are not as high tech as they seem. However i still think a few well placed attacks would wipe out north korea nuclear program. It needs to be done before this guy who killed his own brother in kuala lumpur airport decides to take out his neighbors just to prove he can.

Unfortunately most of their nuclear facilities are safely underground and spread around the country. As I said it is time to talk and get away from the almighty syndrome of the US. If your proposed attacks go wrong many millions if not billions can die. Is it worth it ? 

5 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Unfortunately most of their nuclear facilities are safely underground and spread around the country. As I said it is time to talk and get away from the almighty syndrome of the US. If your proposed attacks go wrong many millions if not billions can die. Is it worth it ? 

Actually yes because the Earth can not support 7 billion increasing to 10 by 2035 especially with Trump not understanding how global warming is effecting the planet and hence it's survival.

If the idiot was to drop a nuke on the USA he is going to be wiped out (and good riddance to him). Unfortunately he may take out many South Koreans also and the nuclear fallout may cause a concern with China and Russia. Therefore it is about time these two countries started putting the squeeze on the little fat idiot to back down. He doesn't need to apologise (because he never will) just stop the rhetoric and stop firing off ballistic missiles.

Well China will decide Kim's fate but they don't seem in too much of a hurry over it.  They know that Kim will never point a missile at them so they can probably watch Trump jump up and down and bluster for a bit longer. Having said that a missile aimed at Sarah Palin in Alaska does bring a smile!

To be serious though this latest test does raise everything to a higher level and having two nutcases with nuclear capabilities facing off against each does send a shiver down the spine.

CBS News is a major media company in the USA. yes?

they put a chart up showing the North Korean missile flew "Altitude 1,500+ miles".

the atmosphere is only a few miles thick... not a thousand miles. 

Apollo moon missions,. and all space rockets go vertical a few minutes after launch. the International Space Station is about 200 to 300 miles above Earth.   

how can any media or anyone put up such a chart?

what am I missing here? 

CBSNews.July42017 .jpg

Edited by maewang99

1 minute ago, maewang99 said:

CBS News is a major media company in the USA.

they put a chart up showing the North Korean missile flew "1,500+ miles".

can you imagine this? the atmosphere is only a few miles thick. Apollo moon missions go vertical a few minutes after launch. the International Space Station is about 200 to 300 miles above Earth.   

how can anyone put up such a chart?

how could anyone sit back and watch such a news program presentation and not fall out of their chair?

1,500 miles??? from Earth's surface?

CBSNews.July42017 .jpg

What do you think" That it is rocket Science"

maybe they did send it past the space station by a thousand miles, and it came back to Earth..... because it wasn't flying fast enough to go into orbit.....

but does it really work like that?

that's almost outer space!

Edited by maewang99

that's amazing.

the ICBM's ****do**** go about 1,000 miles farther up than the Space Station. 

and North Korea.......... did one of those?  that far out?

that is impressive for the hermit kingdom I should think. 
    I have to shake my head, I didn't know these missiles basically go into outer space.... that's how they can get so far so fast.

wow.  I got snookered because I can't believe the USA denies climate change, in the media.

Edited by maewang99

56 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Well China will decide Kim's fate but they don't seem in too much of a hurry over it.  They know that Kim will never point a missile at them so they can probably watch Trump jump up and down and bluster for a bit longer. Having said that a missile aimed at Sarah Palin in Alaska does bring a smile!

To be serious though this latest test does raise everything to a higher level and having two nutcases with nuclear capabilities facing off against each does send a shiver down the spine.

Couldn't we just get Kim Jong Un a twitter acct and let them go at each other

A post containing a reference to fake news has been removed.   Continuing to make references to something as fake news when it is not will earn suspensions.   An article may be wrong, you may not agree with it, but that does not make it fake.  

Well I have a truck that can carry a large nuclear warhead but it would take me a long time to fit one. Likewise it will take North Korea a LONG time to get a nuke warhead functioning on that ICBM. Even if it did, launching a single ICBM at the USA it would be intercepted/shot down and after achieving zero the entire North Korean peninsula would be turned to a glass pit.

5 hours ago, maewang99 said:

CBS News is a major media company in the USA. yes?

they put a chart up showing the North Korean missile flew "Altitude 1,500+ miles".

the atmosphere is only a few miles thick... not a thousand miles. 

Apollo moon missions,. and all space rockets go vertical a few minutes after launch. the International Space Station is about 200 to 300 miles above Earth.   

how can any media or anyone put up such a chart?

what am I missing here? 

Yes, they really do work like that and they really do reach those altitudes. It is a long way up to come down so fairly close to where it took off from. Quite tricky really, so Kim the fat one obviously has some pretty bright rocket scientists slaving away for him.  BUT by continuing to develop these weapons and taunt the USA it is a little bit like taking a 9mm pistol into a fight with an M1A2 Abrams tank.

North Korea is playing a very dangerous game coniderring the countries that are all under threat, if it in fact does get a nuclear weapon developed.  The people who figure that Trump is just

hot air better hope that the nut job in charge of NK  is saner than I think he is.  How can this poor country even afford to be spending all this money on missile and nuclear development, when so much

of this country is in the dark, Literally , I mean no power in most places in the country. The North Korean leader and his bunch should all be ashamed of them selves but no one dares to oppose

the leader or they will be just gone.

Geezer