Where to complain against Thai post service

janclaes47

Or actually the lack of service.

For the past month or so nothing that isn't sent registered get delivered any more. 3 out of 3 Ebay orders in the past month didn't make it to my door, something that normally doesn't happen.

Even registered packages they try to misplace.

I had recently 2 registered packages from Europe, that arrived in Bangkok on 24 June and were dispatched same day but didn't make it to my local post office 4 days later.

On the 5th day 1 of the packages showed as delivered at the wrong address, while the other still hadn't arrived, however they came from the same sender and were in the same container.

The package also showed as successful delivered at 8am already, and then 30 minutes later as, wrong address back to sender.

I went to the post office, and was told that 1 package hadn't arrived yet, and the other was in a different district because of wrong address, and they would look it up and call me later.

When they noticed the steam coming out of my eyes, both packages were on the table within 10 minutes, both with the correct address details.

So clearly a bad apple in the Banglamung post basket.

Don't think it makes sense to go complain with the devil at Banglamung post, so where do I send my letter in the hope that I get a response?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seajae said:

a few years ago 2 visa cards went missing in the thai post, the local post office told me that the postal staff actually take them to sell but they do nothing about it, eventually one arrived through speed post(registered) then the pin numbers arrived and they had been opened and then re stuck down, not good. I have just had a new replacement card sent out again 4 weeks ago but that has now gone missing as well so it looks like they are still at it, lodging a complaint does nothing as they refuse to punish the worker or apologize, they are aware that the workers steal articles etc but will not allow anyone to lose face over it, its like banging your head against a brick wall as they will not say anything to the worker involved or fire them, this is Thailand

Pretty much my understanding about the whole affair as well.

• Like 2

I have the same experience.

The staff here are unfriendly, unhelpful and appear to hate doing any work.

Only EMS registered mail gets delivered almost 100%, and even then I have recently tracked a package to the local post office, two days later no sign of the postman at my door. Go myself,

"no have, plobrem".

They all need a kick up the rear.

• Like 1

Thai Post used to be very reliable, but over the past year has become a major problem. Nothing gets delivered except EMS or Priority with tracking number. To test them, I mailed a letter to myself from my local post office. I never received it. I wrote 2 complaints to [email protected] and had a visit from a regional inspector. He assured me that the problem would be dealt with, but so far I am still not receiving any mail.

• Like 2

Over the years the service was excellent. This year I had a shipment from Canada of probiotics that did not arrive. A letter to Western Canada (Airmail) more than a month ago still has not arrived. I live in Huamark, Bangkapi (10240). 

I used DHL for small packet of probiotics for personal use from Vancouver, Canada. Customs grabbed it and demanded an import permit, which I did not have. So I had to abandon it.

Are all Post Offices in Bangkok affected by the scam ?

My thai Gf had an issue with not receiving any mail for an extended period...this included regular bills like phone, internet , insurance etc that she had previously received monthly. At my insistence she eventually went to the local main post office ( Udon Thani) to complain. A staff member went " out back " and returned with a bundle of about 15 letters in a rubber band that had apparently >..." fallen down the back of the sorting desk " or some such rubbish.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, seajae said:

a few years ago 2 visa cards went missing in the thai post, the local post office told me that the postal staff actually take them to sell but they do nothing about it, eventually one arrived through speed post(registered) then the pin numbers arrived and they had been opened and then re stuck down, not good. I have just had a new replacement card sent out again 4 weeks ago but that has now gone missing as well so it looks like they are still at it, lodging a complaint does nothing as they refuse to punish the worker or apologize, they are aware that the workers steal articles etc but will not allow anyone to lose face over it, its like banging your head against a brick wall as they will not say anything to the worker involved or fire them, this is Thailand

Few years back I did not get any letters delivered, for a year, send to me from my country.

I got in deep sh.. because of this as there were letters from the IRS of my country.

Numerous complaints at the Post Office gave no results.

Complaint to Postal Service in my country who took it up with the Thai Postal Service which said that letters did arrived.

A Belgian living here who's Thai wifes brother is a lawyer did some investigating and Bingo! the postman opened all letters coming from abroad, looking for money and when finding nothing threw them in the nearest garbage bin.

Heard he got sacked but only after the Lawyer threatened them.

As you said TIT. :angry: :annoyed:

• Like 1

I had a dreadful experience also with thaipost where information that could have been used for identity theft went missing in a registered mail letter ( delivered not signed for) 

i have spent eight eight months seeking resolution but all I get is " the matter has been passed to the investigating officer and if he finds anything we will respond"

used to be brilliant service comparable to most westernservices but now.........

On 7/5/2017 at 10:14 AM, ubonjoe said:

You email or call them. Contact info is here. http://www.thailandpost.com/index.php?page=contact_thp&group_id=23&language=en

The email that starts with postal care works. I had a problem with a EMS I sent not being updated on the tracking page and it was handled promptly. The email I sent was in English and all the replies were in English.

Send it to 7-11 they work 24/7 they will sent it true fot you.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:18 AM, cocteau2x said:

how about having them sent FedEx?  

Big bucks there my friend...UPS a bit cheaper, but still expensive...TNT a better bet, but now that FedEx bought them the prices are up I'm sure.....

On 7/5/2017 at 7:16 PM, CharlieH said:

My solution, which over the years has proved effective, use a PO BOX its located in the local office so no need for delivery and I go collect it. Never missed an item to date as it cuts out the middleman, the postman.

Might that not cause problems with a mailed in 90-day report, though, if someone at your local immigration office noticed that the PO Box address on your return SAE did not match that stated in your completed TM47?  

The Post Office is now, according the officials I have spoken to, is jointly owned by the government

and a private ( ? ) company.

When it was government I never had issues with non delivery in either direction, the speed of delivery

or where it was being delivered to, home / PO Box.

In the past few years like other postings here, it goes missing - so I set up a PO Box address.    

Same thing happens mail goes missing especially things like cards, is opened and resealed, its even been sent to Khon Kaen Post Office even though my address ( a small town in KK province ) was 100% correct.

Here is something you may not know and should be aware of if you are trying to get courier service deliveries to a Thai Post Office Box.

I recently placed an order for books from Kinokuniya Book Store in Bangkok for delivery to my PO Box in KK province.

When the courier tried to deliver to the post office they refused to accept due to "Our courier service can't delivery  and drop your book order at the P.O.Box because it was rejected by the post office policy of competition service" ( their 'Kinokuniya' words ).

"Restrictive Practice" ???

Yes, the book shop / courier should have known and saved both time and money.    I have complained to the book shop.

Anyone else had a similar experience ?

• 6 months later...

Sometime in the last 18-24 months the incoming mail service in my small village became extremely unreliable, and I have been doing some research to find out why.

The first thing I discovered is that the post office has stopped stamping letters to show when the local post office receives them for delivery. In other words, the letter might show on the postage stamp when it was mailed, but it isn't stamped to show when the letter has been received for delivery at the destination post office. I was told that this is the practice throughout Thailand, which I'm not sure about, but I did check with a post office in a neighboring province, and they told me that they didn't stamp letters at final destination either, except for EMS mail.

I strongly believe that this might be the root cause of why my mail has begun to be delivered very slowly. Not stamping the mail at the delivery destination means the post man has no accountability, because he can always point his finger upstream for any delays. For close to a year or so, I would say I was lucky to get mail once or twice a month, in a big batch. It almost got to the point where it felt like mail wouldn't be delivered until I called the mail man and asked if he had any mail for me. My post man kept assuring me that he delivered the mail as soon as he received it, but my faith that he was being straight with me has collapsed.

So I finally went to the regional office and talked to the manager. Boy, was I surprised to find out that every other day is the standard delivery frequency throughout Thailand. He told me he would start special handling my mail and write the date on the envelope. But it turned out the manager wasn't the one writing the date on the envelope, it was my local mail man!  Which meant there was still zero accountability in terms of how promptly the mail was being delivered. The fact that the manager chose to "handle" this problem in this manner really made me feel like he wasn't taking service quality seriously.

Today, I discovered two letters that were mailed back in November from the US lying alongside my front porch. Like over 2 months after they were mailed. They were half-eaten by some sort of rodent and also badly weathered. I fully considered whether the wind might have blown them off the porch, but because I check the ground fairly regularly and because there were absolutely no signs of gnawed paper debris on the ground, I think it's pretty safe to conclude that my mail was left sitting in some cubbyhole at the mailman's house.

So I went back to the regional office and talked to the manager again. My impression the second time was even poorer. I showed him 4 months of mail with the date received noted on the envelopes, which clearly documented tardy delivery. I showed him the gnawed up letters, and he refused to believe this could have happened at the mailman's house. In other words, he was classically reluctant to be put himself in the position of having to discipline a subbordinate.

On the way home, I checked with my neighbors and asked them if they had any problems with the mail. Most said they almost never got any mail, but those who did basically shrugged and said the postal service was like that. I showed them the gnawed up letters, and we laughed about the nosy rat who wanted to read my mail.

If things don't improve, I am planning to write a letter to the postal head office to complain about the service and recommend that they reinstitute stamping end destination mail to document when mail is received by the delivering post office. To try and put the fear of Buddha in them, I asked for and got both the manager and my mailman's formal names in Thai. As was helpfully provided by UbonJoe in an earlier post on this thread, the address is:

Thailand Post Co., Ltd [Head Office]

Changwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok, Thailand 10210-0299

Edited by Gecko123

I ordered a motherboard for my tv from ebay. The package was approx 8 inches and my letterbox was about 6 inches, but the postman got it through the letterbox, the motherboard was of course damaged. I complained to the local post office which forwarded my complaint to Bangkok head office. But it turned out to be my fault all along.

9 minutes ago, vogie said:

I ordered a motherboard for my tv from ebay. The package was approx 8 inches and my letterbox was about 6 inches, but the postman got it through the letterbox, the motherboard was of course damaged. I complained to the local post office which forwarded my complaint to Bangkok head office. But it turned out to be my fault all along.

how did they figure it was your mistake ? or was there just no insurance on the package.

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

how did they figure it was your mistake ? or was there just no insurance on the package.

If wasn't their mistake, and as their was only two partys involved, it had to be my fault and yes, no insurance, but can you insure against stupidity. ?