Internet provider not WiFi

4MyEgo

Hi Guys

Also posted this in the IT & Computer forum.

Been living here for around 20 months and been using WiFi which is ok, but pain in the butt at times as it slows down when I watch some clips on Youtube and am getting close to the usage, I imagine.

What I am hoping for is, has someone any knowledge of any providers out there that can install a line with modem from the street ?

The village I live in doesn't have the internet line at the moment, the adjoining village does, but that borders Udon Thani and we are out of it by a bridge and two hundred metres, i.e. Sakon Nakhon and have been told by most providers that they require 5 people to join/sign up with them to be able to install a line in our village, and with WiFi, people on the hop, I can't see that happening.

Any better alternatives, suggestions appreciated. 

Edited by 4MyEgo

Also check with the local TOT and AIS offices to see if either offer point-to-point "Wireless Broadband" via TOT WiNet, AIS AirNet service (where they place special wireless base stations on their mobile phone towers to link to a small wireless router on a pole at your residence. 

DTAC also recently entered a partnership to utilize TOT's 2.3GHz spectrum to offer fixed wireless service. Don't know how far along they are yet.

14 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

I also had IPstar for about 5 years, 

Happiest day of my life when I got rid of it.

When it is the only choice you have you learn to live with it.

That was in the village where our house is that still has no internet other than AIS 3g or wifi.

Moved into a rental house here in the city a few years ago to get our kids into a better school. Now have good internet connection. 

I too had the IPSTAR satellite dish. To say that it stunk is an understatement. I complained a lot and finally got a decent answer from them. They said that if I was not satisfied with the service, to cancel it. I replied that was a good idea and told them stop the service. They didn't bother to remove the equipment. After a couple of months, I had my wife call them and tell them that they had a week to get their junk out. If not, she told them that I was going to make a bird bath out of the dish. She assured them that I would do that. They came and got their junk. I used an air card for several years and it was sometimes very good and often bad.

I should mention that I live in a small village in Loei province. A month or so ago, I saw them pulling a new cable through the village. It turned out to be TOT fiber. I had the wife sign up and she paid 5,000 baht for the equipment and installation. They had to string 400 meters of cable. I have to say that for the first time I have fast Internet.

The OP should consider going in person to all five internet providers in his province. Go to the main offices, or the office in a Mall with staff who understand and speak English. I have been in person to CAT, AIS, T.O.T., True and 3BB.  What is crucial is your address written out in Thai, perhaps bring copies of your house book, AND printed copies of your GPS location.   One of the five ISP does now  in 2017 or in the near future have fiber internet available for your village. Your neighbors may have put zero effort and they do not know. Calling the ISP on the telephone is a complete waste of your spouse's time. The operator can just say "No have". 

If five people must sign up, you can step up and pay for the other four. Or in my case I paid extra, to be the first with C.A.T. fiber in a village home.  I may have paid 8000 baht installation with CAT, or I may have paid significantly less. Within weeks other Thai citizen village folks had CAT installed. I had the installation sub contractor team use HDPE conduit for the entire run from the utility pole to our home.  I did not want any utility lines in the air.

Across the road, in the same rural village CAT proved unresponsive to Thai relatives for repairs. No problem, just switch to 3BB fiber internet.  Canceling CAT prior to a minimum period was as easy as filling out the form at the CAT main office in Buriram.  A village with zero internet line options in 2015 now has two different ISP options with Fiber in 2017.  It is my observation that most anything is possible if you are willing to pay in Thailand.   Any fiber internet  installation payment would be money well spent compared to IP Star and the horrible option of satellite internet.  You tube has videos of US citizens using guns to shoot internet satellite Wild Blue dishes. 

5 hours ago, kamalabob2 said:

The OP should consider going in person to all five internet providers in his province. Go to the main offices, or the office in a Mall with staff who understand and speak English. I have been in person to CAT, AIS, T.O.T., True and 3BB.  What is crucial is your address written out in Thai, perhaps bring copies of your house book, AND printed copies of your GPS location.   One of the five ISP does now  in 2017 or in the near future have fiber internet available for your village. Your neighbors may have put zero effort and they do not know. Calling the ISP on the telephone is a complete waste of your spouse's time. The operator can just say "No have". 

If five people must sign up, you can step up and pay for the other four. Or in my case I paid extra, to be the first with C.A.T. fiber in a village home.  I may have paid 8000 baht installation with CAT, or I may have paid significantly less. Within weeks other Thai citizen village folks had CAT installed. I had the installation sub contractor team use HDPE conduit for the entire run from the utility pole to our home.  I did not want any utility lines in the air.

Across the road, in the same rural village CAT proved unresponsive to Thai relatives for repairs. No problem, just switch to 3BB fiber internet.  Canceling CAT prior to a minimum period was as easy as filling out the form at the CAT main office in Buriram.  A village with zero internet line options in 2015 now has two different ISP options with Fiber in 2017.  It is my observation that most anything is possible if you are willing to pay in Thailand.   Any fiber internet  installation payment would be money well spent compared to IP Star and the horrible option of satellite internet.  You tube has videos of US citizens using guns to shoot internet satellite Wild Blue dishes. 

Well I'll be, the Mrs went to the local market the other day and starting talking to a few stall owners buying her veggies, she came home and said honey I have 4 people interested, that was effortless, all she has to do is find another, that or I will pay for it.

Thanks for everyone's input, 3BB sounds like the way to go ?

Until then you can simply change your 3G/4G package to a truly unlimited one. Currently you utilise packages that give an allowance and then allow you to continue with a reduced bandwidth.

You can change to a package that offers unlimited Internet at 4Mbps. All of the networks offer this package on PAYG and Postpaid. PAYG from 450 baht to 650 baht + VAT per month.

Which network are you utilising at the moment?