Thai Bike "Passport" ?

I have a 150cc Vespa I am taking into Laos. It is registered to me and has up to date Thai paperwork. My original plan was to get a "30days" for the bike at the Nongkhai border (as a few friends told me.) Though now I've had a couple other people tell me that I can get  12 month "bike passport" in Bangkok that will allow me to take the bike for longer. Has anyone else heard of this? Is there any links to more information? I googled/searched and couldn't find anything about this. 

Thanks,

-Sam

Regardless for how long you go for get a bike passport, it will save you any trouble and it is really easy to do, 500baht, sign here, job done, if I remember. They may not allow the bike in without one?

Going to Laos long term, well that is about you and your visa, not your bike and you cannot exit without the bike.

17 minutes ago, AllanB said:

Regardless for how long you go for get a bike passport, it will save you any trouble and it is really easy to do, 500baht, sign here, job done, if I remember. They may not allow the bike in without one?

Going to Laos long term, well that is about you and your visa, not your bike and you cannot exit without the bike.

How long does bike passport last? I will get a Laos work visa so will stay long term.

19 minutes ago, AllanB said:

Also, I heard it takes a couple days? Any idea on this?

The passport is a translation of the green book details, or at least the registration number into English.

It lasts until your tax runs out, so it could be a year if just taxed.

I have heard Laos does not require it, but for less than 100 baht, i would do it.

Depending on where you want to cross, either Thailand or Laos don't let small bike cross sometimes. It is always changing. Check here for up to date info.

I have only ever been granted a 14 day visa for the bike, if you want a long trip. Cross over and hire a bike maybe easier.

https://www.thegtrider.com/touring-information-overview/s-e-asian-border-crossings

I have crossed back into Nong Khai on my PCX, but you need to check if you can leave. If not look into other crossings.

Vientiane up to Luang Prabang is a great if bumpy trip.

3 hours ago, chrissables said:

The passport is a translation of the green book details, or at least the registration number into English.

It lasts until your tax runs out, so it could be a year if just taxed.

I have heard Laos does not require it, but for less than 100 baht, i would do it.

Depending on where you want to cross, either Thailand or Laos don't let small bike cross sometimes. It is always changing. Check here for up to date info.

I have only ever been granted a 14 day visa for the bike, if you want a long trip. Cross over and hire a bike maybe easier.

https://www.thegtrider.com/touring-information-overview/s-e-asian-border-crossings

I have crossed back into Nong Khai on my PCX, but you need to check if you can leave. If not look into other crossings.

Vientiane up to Luang Prabang is a great if bumpy trip.

NO!!! don't say that, Vientiane up to Luang Prabang is a terrible road, go via the Himalayas, it will be less damaging to your bike and spine. That is a truly a horrible excuse for a road, unless your bike is track laying. There is another road to the east of that one, it is a little longer, will try that next time.

8 hours ago, AllanB said:

NO!!! don't say that, Vientiane up to Luang Prabang is a terrible road, go via the Himalayas, it will be less damaging to your bike and spine. That is a truly a horrible excuse for a road, unless your bike is track laying. There is another road to the east of that one, it is a little longer, will try that next time.

I read about your trip on that road before, the last part going into Vientiane is terrible, but the rest i really liked, for the scenery etc. Having said that i entered from Nan province and went up to the Chinese border, some of those roads were bad, which made the Vientiane road seem better!

I can't think of a road that is east, i will need to check it out.

It is nice taking a detour to look down onto Blue water reservoir though.

DSC_0284.JPG

2 hours ago, chrissables said:

I read about your trip on that road before, the last part going into Vientiane is terrible, but the rest i really liked, for the scenery etc. Having said that i entered from Nan province and went up to the Chinese border, some of those roads were bad, which made the Vientiane road seem better!

I can't think of a road that is east, i will need to check it out.

It is nice taking a detour to look down onto Blue water reservoir though.

DSC_0284.JPG

I am referring to highway 10, via Tha Ngon and the big lake, the direct route is Highway 13. Rejoin highway 13 at Phonhong. It is longer, but hat is the way we may try next time.

1 hour ago, AllanB said:

I am referring to highway 10, via Tha Ngon and the big lake, the direct route is Highway 13. Rejoin highway 13 at Phonhong. It is longer, but hat is the way we may try next time.

Just found it, i will look next time. It misses out the boring part of the ride as well.

10 hours ago, AllanB said:

Let us all know, when are you off? What's the bike?

The Honda Rally i just bought would be ideal. But i read somewhere the engine size is restricted for crossing into Laos and i need to check that.

6 hours ago, chrissables said:

The Honda Rally i just bought would be ideal. But i read somewhere the engine size is restricted for crossing into Laos and i need to check that.

I seems to depend on who you ask and on what day of the week...we got 3 different answers, 2 said 200cc was okay, another 250cc.

Reading between the lines of everything I have heard it depends on the bike and rider. If the bike looks "prepared for the trip" that will help a lot, after all they are looking for stolen bikes. 250cc, prepared and with a bike passport, maybe even get an international licence and you should be fine.

We tried phoning, but that was a waste of time.