Hydrogen

jvs

I could not find anything in search so i am trying this way.

Is anyone using a hydrogen fuel cel in their vehicle?

I know the pro and con camps are like fire and water but i am just wondering what

the possibilities are here in Thailand.

I met some one a little while ago who is using it and he says it works pretty good in his lexus engine.

He showed me a small set up and it works!

Lots of reading on the internet but still would like to know what people have invented themselves.

I can see myself driving around with a solar panel on my truck to create extra electricity,not really looking to drive for free but

a little project is always nice.

3 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Any  DIY attempt to generate large quantities of Hydrogen would be foolish and potentially lethal

Hydrogen powered cars are available but it will be long time before they come to Thailand.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/does-hydrogen-make-sense-as-an-automotive-fuel/

Yes i realise that .I am not talking about running on hydrogen but i am talking about adding a hydrogen cel to assist the diesel fuel i am using.

Sorry i should have mentioned that in my first post.

Just looking for 20% or so increase in fuel efficiency i know there are lots of people doing this and just wondered who is doing it in Thailand.

16 minutes ago, jvs said:

but i am talking about adding a hydrogen cel

3 minutes ago, jvs said:

not really what i am talking about,i want to create hydrogen en run it directly into a combustion engine

Good luck but you had best warn the emergency services about the HUGE explosion you are planning ! 

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

I think our OP is talking about HHO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_fuel_enhancement

Maybe but I do not want to be anywhere near the OPs planned experiment when it goes Bang ! 

From your link 

"To date, hydrogen fuel enhancement products have not been specifically addressed by the United States Environmental Protection Agency, as no research devices or commercial products have reports available as per the "Motor Vehicle Aftermarket Retrofit Device Evaluation Program."[10] They do, however, point out that installation of such devices often involves illegally tampering with an automobile's emissions control system, which could result in significant fines.[11] Environment Canada does have a research paper on the subject. In tests done in their laboratory in 2004 they found no improvement in engine efficiency or fuel economy"

1 minute ago, perthperson said:

Maybe but I do not want to be anywhere near the OPs planned experiment when it goes Bang ! 

Luckily there is very little of the "active ingredient" in the system at any one time, if the HHO decides to turn back in to water it's not going to do much damage to anything other than the vehicle.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Luckily there is very little of the "active ingredient" in the system at any one time, if the HHO decides to turn back in to water it's not going to do much damage to anything other than the vehicle.

True  but to use it the stuff has to be manufactured and stored !   A difficult process if undertaken as a DIY project. 

3 minutes ago, perthperson said:

True  but to use it the stuff has to be manufactured and stored !   A difficult process if undertaken as a DIY project. 

I don't subscribe to the HHO theory (it seems to be over-unity energy), but it is generated on the vehicle, so no storage (which would indeed be lethal).

Just now, Crossy said:

I don't subscribe to the HHO theory (it seems to be over-unity energy), but it is generated on the vehicle, so no storage (which would be lethal).

Ok ---  But all this is far removed from my O level chemistry days and making "pops" in test tubes ! 

1 hour ago, jvs said:

I can see myself driving around with a solar panel on my truck to create extra electricity,not really looking to drive for free but

a little project is always nice.

IMHO you would be better off creating a diesel-solar hybrid, the solar=> HHO=> diesel enhancement has to be incredibly inefficient.

But remember 3 big solar panels at 250Watts each is a whole ONE horsepower.

48 minutes ago, Crossy said:

IMHO you would be better off creating a diesel-solar hybrid, the solar=> HHO=> diesel enhancement has to be incredibly inefficient.

But remember 3 big solar panels at 250Watts each is a whole ONE horsepower.

I was going to use the elctricity to make more hydrogen not drive an electric motor.

Trying to figure out if more voltage (less amps)has any effect on creating more gas.

Just now, jvs said:

I was going to use the elctricity to make more hydrogen not drive an electric motor.

Trying to figure out if more voltage (less amps)has any effect on creating more gas.

You do not get something for nothing.

The energy used to split the water (whatever the technique) is always going to be more then you get from re-combining it.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

You do not get something for nothing.

The energy used to split the water (whatever the technique) is always going to be more then you get from re-combining it.

Solar panels produce free electricity.

9 minutes ago, jvs said:

Solar panels produce free electricity.

Really? Do the sums, cost of a panel vs the amount generated in its life (say 20 years).

OK. So with X m2 of solar on the roof you'll generate X times 200W of energy (20% efficiency panels). How many W of energy will be used dragging those panels around.

Tell you what (Watt).

Why not show dyno curves for "before" and "after" whatever you decide to do?

If this really worked outfits like Tesla would be in there, would they not? (actually they are, but not via the HHO route)

1 hour ago, gr8fldanielle said:

I don't see why you can't add a "bubbler" to any system especially a car or motorcycle. Nothing stored and easy to turn on and off.

Yes that is what i was talking about,it can be done for sure.

Having heard of so many lethal accidents because of the low installation standards for LPG here, I hope you wouldn't be getting a local to install your hydrogen generator? 

I think you you may be better preparing for the electric or hybrid age and saving up for a next generation vehicle. However I think adoption may actually take several generations in Thailand, judging by the attachment people have to their dirty worn out vehicles here, so maybe hydrogen test beds may still have a chance.

13 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Nuclear powered car are the future I've been looking in the Thai scrapyards for a dis-commissioned nuclear submarine engine, they think l'm baa whatever that means. :biggrin: 

The Japanese ability to find ridiculous names like Cedric, Sunny, etc may lead to a Toyota Chernobyl in the race for overpriced Golf Carts.

17 hours ago, jvs said:

Not really what i am talking about,i want to create hydrogen en run it directly into a combustion engine.

You can't make enough hydrogen on the go to get/keep your engine running just on hydrogen,you need to much power and you can't make enough Gas.Don't take my word for this ,I tried and many people tried, We all failed

On 7/12/2017 at 6:26 AM, JAS21 said:

Now you've spoiled someones dreams and his project .... 

if you watched the video, 2 car batteries will produce 5 liters per hour. 12V or even 6V will work, just produce less.

It's actually a very simple system. If you check out YouTube, there are many systems out there, and if you don't want to build one, you can buy a kit and install it on a bike or car.