What do I have to do to get my bowels moving again?

giddyup

Not as an ongoing therapy, but look into activated charcoal. Can pick it up at any pharmacy under the brand name

Greater CA-R-BON.    Also consider a large amount of sea salt in water - that will flush you out.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to hospital for  a check up, I too ( almost same age) had a similar problem a couple of years ago and it turn out to be the beginning of major surgery and chemo, at your age don't risk it.

Hotta Plus ginger tea comes with a big dose of fiber. Drink a couple of cups every morning with a black tea (Lipton) bag instead of coffee.  

No only good...good for ya   ; )

I'm a 'regular' like yourself, but have had constipation twice in Thailand.

You mentioned eating nuts!

I found this to be the cause of my problem. Nuts are not easily digestible, so should be eaten in moderation or alternatively seeds.

My wife and her family swear by Mangos to keep the bowl free flowing.

After a good clear out, especially if you've used a laxative, it does take a few days before regular bowel movements are restored to normal, so I wouldn't worry to much about that just yet. 

I once swallowed a 'crown' that my dentist insisted I look for, rather than make a new one. It took 4 days to go through the system.

26 minutes ago, mamypoko said:

Not as an ongoing therapy, but look into activated charcoal. Can pick it up at any pharmacy under the brand name

Greater CA-R-BON.    Also consider a large amount of sea salt in water - that will flush you out.

Might not be a good idea as he is already on BP meds. I am guessing the sea salt has magnesium for it's effect and a safer way is to get some mag citrate from the pharmacy.

A quick update. A fairly good bowel movement was achieved this morning. My partner suggested to do some cycling type exercises whilst on my back. I don't know if that was what worked, or the prunes, dates and tamarind juice. We'll see how it goes over the next week or so. I have to go to Bkk/Pattaya hospital next week, I'll make enquiries re a colonoscopy.

This is an interesting subject.  You must be British.  The writer Paul Theroux wrote that he found Brits obsessed by their bowels.  And I am no different to you.  But is it age?  At 28 I went on a camping trip to Iceland.  No dump for 5 days.  I recommend you a great book by a German doctor.  It is called GUT.  By G.Enders.  She talks about relationship between gut and brain.  And one simple idea I learnt from her; lean forward on the toilet.  Chest on knees.  The bowels start to move. It is a simple trick that works. 

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Is Fibely Donutt any different that Fibregel or similar high fibre powders that you drink with water?

Don't know that one, but I'm pretty sure it's similar.  And you do drink it with water, the more the better.

Start walking for 30 minutes a day, keep your water intake at 2 L plus, increase your intake of fiber (oats, flaxseed, sunflower seed, milk and honey for breakfast). Yes eat raw fruit and vegetables, avoid processed food. Eat brown rice instead of white. If all else fails see a doctor, but his cure maybe short lived as you may need a lifestyle change rather than medicine. But to make certain nothing serious is wrong do the tests etc. 

9 minutes ago, backstairs said:

This is an interesting subject.  You must be British.  The writer Paul Theroux wrote that he found Brits obsessed by their bowels.  And I am no different to you.  But is it age?  At 28 I went on a camping trip to Iceland.  No dump for 5 days.  I recommend you a great book by a German doctor.  It is called GUT.  By G.Enders.  She talks about relationship between gut and brain.  And one simple idea I learnt from her; lean forward on the toilet.  Chest on knees.  The bowels start to move. It is a simple trick that works. 

I think it's age related in my case. At 75 nothing quite works as it used to, and it seems I'm just getting one check-up after another. One things for sure, finding a remedy for constipation becomes all-consuming. BTW, not British, Aussie.

Edited by giddyup

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

A quick update. A fairly good bowel movement was achieved this morning. My partner suggested to do some cycling type exercises whilst on my back. I don't know if that was what worked, or the prunes, dates and tamarind juice. We'll see how it goes over the next week or so. I have to go to Bkk/Pattaya hospital next week, I'll make enquiries re a colonoscopy.

Aaaah!

We were wondering where you vanished to for 30 minutes between your posts    :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Start walking for 30 minutes a day, keep your water intake at 2 L plus, increase your intake of fiber (oats, flaxseed, sunflower seed, milk and honey for breakfast). Yes eat raw fruit and vegetables, avoid processed food. Eat brown rice instead of white. If all else fails see a doctor, but his cure maybe short lived as you may need a lifestyle change rather than medicine. But to make certain nothing serious is wrong do the tests etc. 

All good advice, and I'm following pretty much all of what you suggested, but not the flax seed as yet.

1 minute ago, Motard said:

probably not but many farang food shops and bars have it here in Samui

I'm in Pattaya, never seen it here. However, what with the prunes, figs, dates, high fibre cereal, tamarind juice etc, there's probably only so much my body can take.

Just now, Shoeless Joe said:

Really? jeez, so this is what TV is reduced to, publishing a thread about bowel movements AND OF COURSE because the majority of TV users are lower gastro-intestinal experts they cant wait to weigh-in with their (mostly useless) advice as well as observations about their own toilet habits ?

The OP is 75 - how the <deleted> do some people manage to get through life?

Joe

You are welcome not to contribute. There's a plethora of other forums that may interest you. This is a Health forum, dealing with health related matters, just in case you missed it.

6 minutes ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Really? jeez, so this is what TV is reduced to, publishing a thread about bowel movements AND OF COURSE because the majority of TV users are lower gastro-intestinal experts they cant wait to weigh-in with their (mostly useless) advice as well as observations about their own toilet habits ?

The OP is 75 - how the <deleted> do some people manage to get through life?

Joe

The OP is asking for help/suggestions regarding what could actually turn into a serious problem if not sorted.

Yet you choose to mock him why?

Maybe you are one of the lucky people who sail through life without any problems.

Having said that, if i ever see you posting here asking for help with a problem, i will take delight in mocking you.

Just now, Lucky mike said:

Try warm water with lemon juice and honey, if that not work get some cascara.....good luck

Been having lemon juice and honey in the morning for years.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

The OP is asking for help/suggestions regarding what could actually turn into a serious problem if not sorted.

Yet you choose to mock him why?

Maybe you are one of the lucky people who sail through life without any problems.

Having said that, if i ever see you posting here asking for help with a problem, i will take delight in mocking you.

Oh, I see he was asking advice re Gracku on another forum, apparently that warranted some serious discussion.