Entry denied Bangkok Airport

4 minutes ago, kevozman1 said:

Not all bad.  Less 50+ whinging barangs there I should imagine, for various reasons. Not sure why a 20something farang would want to come to Thailand anymore anyway. I mean 2000-2010 it was fashionable and exciting. Nowadays you will just be rubbing shirts with locals whose fun interactions is now limited to them trying to sell you shit, whinging old Farangs and hoards of Russian, Chinese and Indain tourists. I know if I was a youngster I would be looking at Cambodia or elsewhere.

Duh...it's about a girl...it's always about a girl

Edited by tonray
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

and just minutes after I posted this remark the OP's name disappeared from the bottom of the page after being there for the last 12 hours:giggle:

Bugger! Battery died, or top-up expired, or went to sleep.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, asean said:

Hey but we all had a good chat and shared some useful information. And no one got nasty :) This is a shot from inside.

airport detention cell.jpg

Interesting.

Is it air con?

Coed or are there separate ones for men and women?

What is the bathroom situation? Showers?

And what do people do for meals?

I imagine if nothing else, one might meet  some interesting roommates there...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Interesting.

Is it air con?

Coed or are there separate ones for men and women?

What is the bathroom situation? Showers?

And what do people do for meals?

I imagine if nothing else, one might meet  some interesting roommates there...

segregated. have bathroom and shower. you are seeing the womens section. officers bring food. mens section not so pretty more crowded.

8 minutes ago, Mianoinadme said:

Maybe he delivered the delivery now?

Maybe he had been allowed enough communications, and they took away his phone.

Do they really allow you to keep and use mobile phones unsupervised while you are in detention?

I doubt it. Do they want you stirring up things, taking photos and sending them outside,etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jojothai said:

Maybe he had been allowed enough communications, and they took away his phone.

Do they really allow you to keep and use mobile phones unsupervised while you are in detention?

I doubt it. Do they want you stirring up things, taking photos and sending them outside,etc.

An interesting point. I don't think that they'll let you make photographs of their facilities and send them out. 

1 minute ago, Mianoinadme said:

An interesting point. I don't think that they'll let you make photographs of their facilities and send them out. 

They also will not want much posting on social media. Surely not acceptable to have any internet access.

The op I suspect was reading the replies but did not respond to save his phone batt. 

Farangs are all westerners, Japanese, chinese, Korean all come under different and separate category.

Asean gave great replies, should be an immi lawyer I suspect. And asean already knew the outcome, and surprisingly we have so many who believe in fairy tales that the op could appeal successfully.

For all the westerners who stay in Thailand who think the law here is the same and transparent as back home, I can only use that phrase same same but different.

The io has 10-12 choices to show he's rejecting, if he doesn't have a clear cut, of course he's going to use that opaque 12/3. In his shoes wouldn't you?

I want to see your superior you say. Superior comes, sees, and says he concurs with io. Then you get angry... which is when their fun begins.

Analogy, but going off topic.

Don't even talk about immi, just getting stopped at a road block and refusing to pay a fine, which could be justifiable, they'll take your license and you can go the station to pick up and pay the fine or appeal.

Good, Mr I want justice, go down to the station and appeal, after x days, no problem. But in those x days without your license, what if you get stopped again and again? Is it not correct that you drove without your license? Is it wrong for fines to be issued and justified as you drove without your license? But it's with the police you say. But you did drive without your license they say.

Would it have been better to pay that 400 that the guy had probable cause to cite?

The nit pickers are going to say so you going to pay every time. Well I've been stopped 4-6 times in the last 7 days. I'm asian and dark enough to look Thai. Each time, I leave the fastest, and I've not paid a single cent, and my Thai sucks. Thing is They couldn't find probable cause in that few seconds and  had to let go cause it wasn't worth the effort for 400b and the supply is endless. You ride a bike, you will get stopped, just don't let them have probable cause to take the 400 of you.

The military government is here, and here to stay for a while. The laws have changed. No you say, so what is a METV? And 2 land crossings a year?

Is it so difficult to jump their hoop and use a metv instead?

6 hours ago, tonray said:

get nothing back in return... your statement is incorrect. For 500k they receive a permission to stay for 5 years. As far as being stupid that is one's opinion not fact

I stayed in Thailand for five years on tourist visas and exempt stamps. 

Spent about 125 000 Baht in total on visas travel etc

Got to see a few neighboring Countries as well

If you scroll to the bottom of this page you'll notice that the OP is online and following this topic.

Since he doesn't answer anymore, let's presume there's nothing more we can do for him.

Edited by chippendale

1 hour ago, Mianoinadme said:

there are many photos of the detention facility on the internet. just google bangkok airport detention room and click images. You see they can use their phones and chargers all day and night if they wish.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

A tourist visa is the correct visa to use when entering Thailand to look for work. You can only leave to get a Non B once you have found a job, and the company has contacted the labor department to apply for a work permit on your behalf.

Exactly, this is what I thought earlier today.

They are looking for any excuse to throw you out and there's nothing you can do about it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JackThompson said:

It's not a "line" - it is "the law."  By your assessment, the IOs are Being Dishonest in this case.  Sad, but certainly appears to be the case if the OP's post is true.  We can hope the people who did this will be disciplined, but it seems to fit an ongoing pattern at Airports, so I'm not holding my breath.

For now, just avoid Airports and Poipet as points of entry.  So far, this sort of Dishonest behavior has not been reported, elsewhere.

Dishonest? Thailand's authorities are within their rights to deny anyone entry into the country if there is reasonable suspicion of an abuse or potential abuse of immigration privileges! Back to back multiple tourist visas for an extended continuous period of time is a strong indicator of such an abuse, regardless of proof of funds and onward travel. Western countries would have reasonable suspicion too if we Asians were to travel in and out on back to back tourist visas. Even embassies would strongly suspect something amiss if we were to stay in the country for 18 months! That's simply and obviously not what a bona fide tourist does!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mvdf said:

Dishonest? Thailand's authorities are within their rights to deny anyone entry into the country if there is reasonable suspicion of an abuse or potential abuse of immigration privileges! Back to back multiple tourist visas for an extended continuous period of time is a strong indicator of such an abuse, regardless of proof of funds and onward travel. Western countries would have reasonable suspicion too if we Asians were to travel in and out on back to back tourist visas. Even embassies would strongly suspect something amiss if we were to stay in the country for 18 months! That's simply and obviously not what a bona fide tourist does!

Good morning again guys. Could not sleep because as an SETV user, people with valid non B visas being denied entry in Thai international airports without a clear specification of the reason from 12.1 to 12.11 of the Immigration act got me really worried. :))

Anyways, I see comparissons with other Immigration systems. People need to understand one thing.

Thailand's Immigration system is not similar to other systems. IO's do not make arbitrary decisions, they follow guidelines coming from above. It's plain and simple. Written or unwritten.

So if Mr T for example (in the previous administration) decided it's ok for people to use double or triple entry tourist visas endlessly because every dollar is still a dollar, then that's what happened.

If the current regime decided to take out those options because they want less Western influence to reduce the number of Westerners and increase the number of Chinese, that have a closer ideology to Thailand (see single internet gateway, etc, and other ideas even more revolutionary than China - fingerprinting sim card users), then that's what will happen.

Comparing it to other Immigration systems is pointless. If they decide tomorrow tourism is bleeding, you could see METVs being issued in Vientiane all of the sudden. If they decide so.

It's all relative and nothing to do with ethics but with money. At the moment, never ending tourism (for 20 years) is being promoted at a cost.

Edited by lkv

As if any further evidence was needed of 3 things:

1. Obtaining a tourist visa is NOT a guarantee of permission to enter when you reach the Immigration Desk.
  2. Immigration Officers DO have and DO exercise discretion  in letting you enter or not.   They don't need to "prove" anything, and needn't even give YOU a chance to prove anything.  Yes, there's an appeal path, but I'll bet it's seldom enough used that officers are fairly secure in their use of the aforementioned "discretion".
  3. Tourist Visas are NOT a good plan for remaining in Thailand indefinitely, no matter your source of income, ability to produce an onward ticket, etc.   I'm sure IOs know that abusers know all the tricks.

If the OP is indeed an "innocent", and just caught in the fishing net, it only additionally  illustrates the degree to which abusers have now made life more difficult for those playing by the rules.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

If the OP is indeed an "innocent", and just caught in the fishing net, it only additionally  illustrates the degree to which abusers have now made life more difficult for those playing by the rules.

Yes, it's the abusers that made those "playing by the rules" lives difficult. For years and years, everything was rosy at Poipet on double entry tourist visas. I did not see IO's exercising their discretion too much 3 years ago, they were just chopping passports.

Which is pretty much what they are doing now, chop chop, unless computer starts to blink.

I also hear of innovative new ED visas, such as learning French or Chinese, learning Thai cooking , self defense combat visas, etc.

Edited by lkv

37 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

As if any further evidence was needed of 3 things:

1. Obtaining a tourist visa is NOT a guarantee of permission to enter when you reach the Immigration Desk.
  2. Immigration Officers DO have and DO exercise discretion  in letting you enter or not.   They don't need to "prove" anything, and needn't even give YOU a chance to prove anything.  Yes, there's an appeal path, but I'll bet it's seldom enough used that officers are fairly secure in their use of the aforementioned "discretion".
  3. Tourist Visas are NOT a good plan for remaining in Thailand indefinitely, no matter your source of income, ability to produce an onward ticket, etc.   I'm sure IOs know that abusers know all the tricks.

Yes, however one 'innocent tourist' is far too many.

I would like to see some kind of European sanction against Thailand due to the way it treats foreigners from the EU.

5 hours ago, thaiman said:

What would happen if you got denied entry at a land border crossing such as Laos coming into Thailand?  Would you just be sent back to Laos?

Yes just sent back to Laos. From many reports you don't even get a denied entry stamp at land borders, so you can just try again the next day, try a different border, or fly as a last resort. They don't detain you or deport you elsewhere (how could they). They're a lot more relaxed I know two guys with roughly the same visa history as OP who got in fine in the last month via Laos and Malaysia land borders.

I'm going to make the most of land border entries in the current climate, and avoid airports. Even though I recently did 9 months on visa exemptions in a row, then entered after that with a tourist visa, all at airports, and all this with a 2 year overstay stamp in my current passport. And in total 7.5 years in Thailand on a mix of tourist visas / exempts / ed visa / another 1.5 year overstay on an old passport, if they'd checked... I posted pics of my passport in a thread here.

So there's no coherent policy in my opinion, it's just a small number of IOs that actively want to deny people and abuse their power to do so. Because I was fine and so were many others. But you never know, so it's probably best to use the 2 land border entries per year. Apparently it's now limited to 2 per year but we haven't heard much about that apparent restriction since it came into effect, I wouldn't be surprised if you can get away with more than 2.

If you do use airports, look at the queues to see which ones are moving quickly, which IOs are letting through guys that look like you without questions, etc. And you can google 'bkk airport fast track' for $30 a rep meets you off the plane and walks you through the fast lane 'assisting with immigration documents', that can give you the appearance of having money. Another thaivisa poster who was denied entry and deported, used that service and got back in with no issues.

Edited by jspill

17 hours ago, perthperson said:

There is no such  ASEAN rule although any country can decline entry to someone who has been refused elsewhere. 

However, Laos does not allow entry by air to those with overstay stamps in their passport.

Actually Laos Airlines will not allow you to check in with an overstay. It would be impossible for someone to attempt to enter Laos with an overstay, as they would have to have gone through Thai Immigration first.

Yes, however one 'innocent tourist' is far too many.

I would like to see some kind of European sanction against Thailand due to the way it treats foreigners from the EU.

Does Thailand single out EU foreigners? While I'm British so sadly will not be EU soon, I don't see that there is any need to sanction Thailand. Its Immigration rules are more generous than many and "good guys" tend to be unaffected.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gamini said:

A lot of people seem to think they can just stay in Thailand as long as they like by getting multiple visas. Most countries restrict to a period of six months in a calendar year so why should Thailand be any different. For instance you cannot stay in Australia or New Zealand for  more than six months. If you want to stay longer you have to become a permanent resident, which incidentally is very costly.

The U.K. Is the same if you arrive on a Australian passport

1 hour ago, 1SteveC said:

Actually Laos Airlines will not allow you to check in with an overstay.

Yes !  Because the Airline does not want to attract a fine or be required to return a refused entry individual to Thailand. 

My post was entirely accurate! 

15 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Yes !  Because the Airline does not want to attract a fine or be required to return a refused entry individual to Thailand. 

My post was entirely accurate! 

Almost, but it gave the impression that the overstayer would be turned away on entry to Laos, which is untrue.