Immigration Bureau warns of dismissal for tea money collection

webfact

I have never been asked for "tea money" or any other type fine at immigration. Other than usual late fines where receipts were issued. However I was a bit peeved on 4 july after checking in before 10:00 with a number 100 then at 14:00 was called to a window told to wait while the agent processed 6 renewals for 2 fixers/agents that just walked in. After commenting out loud to no one in general that "I thought agents were supposed to wait like everyone else" I was surprised when the agent collected my passport next, told me to wait and I would be finished in about 15 minutes. I collected my passport after about a 5 minute wait. I guessed being grumpy old fart paid off for once. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, giddyup said:

No, I mean the letter supplied by immigration that is required by Motor Transport before you can get a drivers licence.

I don't need to obtain one now as I have my own house book but prior to this always had to pay for one in Chiang Mai when I obtained the drivers licence or to register a new car in my name 

Never saw a sign saying they were free

The only thing I have experienced that is free is the ninety day reporting and re registering my address after leaving the country

In relation to this they still require my wife as housemaster to register the address despite me having my own house book maybe Joe can explain why?

On 7/12/2017 at 4:14 PM, The Dark Lord said:

Did you try your local Ampur (Khorat?) or the immigration at Dan KiWan?

"Since I was there, vs running around trying to find which Thai entity should or would do the job...."
My time is worth vastly more than $50 per day. I have had too many experiences of "...this is where and how..." only to be told, "No, no, cannot do here...", or "Pay 16,000 baht for 1,999 baht service and I fix...". In the latter case, I saved 6,000 baht by going to Savannkhet, including transportation, hotels etc., and upgraded to the 5,000 baht multi-entry visa. Okay. probably effectively more at my $50/hr. rate, but damned if I will feed some corrupt IO's "tea fund". Let them institute a completely legal and valid expedited service.

I think Dan Kiwan would be a bit out of the way for me from Sattahip, no?

Edited by Bill Miller

On 7/12/2017 at 0:44 AM, Seismic said:

The fact that they have to issue an order for this tells you everything you need to know.

Had to issue an order is indeed a sick thing.  How about actually prosecuting somebody for doing it?  Surely there are plenty of "laws" on the books already that could be used to prosecute somebody.  Oh wait, what laws am I referring to?  There is no constitution.  The military is in charge

On 7/15/2017 at 9:11 AM, Muggi1968 said:

Dear Mr. PM...

Please have a look at the labour department. Work permits are getting really expensive in Bangkok.....:sad:

I've had a work permit with renewals for over 30 years and in several provinces (several employers).

I have never been once been asked for 'tea money'.

Actual published fees have not risen that much over many years.

But if your using an agent or a lawyer, well could be a completely different picture with small to outrageous fees.   

On 7/12/2017 at 6:59 PM, giddyup said:

No, I mean the letter supplied by immigration that is required by Motor Transport before you can get a drivers licence.

I have been charged 500 Baht for this service on 5 occasions at Samui for the licence or to buy a vehicle (same document) and not charged anything on 1 occasion.

I have asked several times for a receipt and always received...........a smile, but no receipt.