Revenue Dept freezes Bt100 million in Thaksin’s assets

webfact

Revenue Dept freezes Bt100 million in Thaksin’s assets

By The Nation

f1c5abe78b9e55a8665715a1d4ccb15f.jpeg

File photo: Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra

BANGKOK: -- The Revenue Department has frozen almost Bt100 million in bank accounts of fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra as a consequence of his tax-evasion case which was revived earlier this year.

The ex-PM is convicted of avoiding billions of baht in taxes when he sold his shares in Shin Corp, a family business, valued at more than Bt70 billion in 2006.

The case would not expire for 10 years after the Revenue Department ordered Thaksin to pay Bt16 billion in taxes in March.

A source in the department said the agency would continue to freeze Thaksin’s assets when they are found. The department had to comply with the law as the former PM has been convicted of tax evasion, regardless of his current attempt to appeal the case, the source said.

The Office of Auditor General in March submitted a letter urging the Revenue Department to collect taxes from the ex-PM although the department’s director-general Prasong Poontaneat insisted the case was over and Bt46 billion of Thanksin’s assets had already been seized in 2010.

Finance Ministry inspector general Yuthana Yimkarun said an official of the Regional Revenue has been charged with negligence for failing to appeal with the Central Tax Court to recollect taxes from Thaksin after the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders had ruled the shares sold belonged to him.

The Finance Ministry permanent secretary was still considering whether certain high-ranking officials at the Revenue Department who were in office during the tax collection in 2006, should also be held accountable, Yuthana added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30320562

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-12

2 hours ago, idman said:

Blah, blah, blah. So what, he will get it all back eventually. 100 million Baht??? That's chump change for our man in Dubai.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Truly 100m are peanuts, as he is getting paid monthly by Hun Sen based on his telcom contracts with Cambodia, and surely not into a Thai account.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Finance Ministry permanent secretary was still considering whether certain high-ranking officials at the Revenue Department who were in office during the tax collection in 2006, should also be held accountable

been considering  that for quite a while now.

I help you out: take a flower and pluck its petals - accountable - not accountable...

Well since they convicted him of evading ฿16bn and they have only collected about ฿150m they need to look much harder.

One disgraced PM sister on trial and another convicted of insider trading fraud for ฿9.6bn, who actually could become be the next PM...

What a bunch of crooks, and don't forget the brother ex-PM in Dubai was a  mass murderer too.

It is certainly time to question the tax officials that allowed the sale of AIS once again, they might just be found to be unusually wealthy.

:mad:

It's only news because 100 mil means a lot to folk just keeping their heads above water, but I'm gonna' guess it's only a drop in the bucket to the Mr. himself.

he kept some chump change in local banks, no surprise.

if he had gotten it all into any overseas bank... it would be in the name of a nominee.... and commingled with the other bank customers... without having to talk to a single lawyer.... or sign a single page of fancy paperwork....and still hold any Thai registered securities he targets... if that is what he chose.

100% in a nominee name.. no matter how much anyone wants to kid themselves that a US retail bank or stock broker would have asked him for a passport.......??? instead of just a drivers license???? I ain't ever seen or heard of that ever happening to anyone............... in the USA.    

someone explain that to me. if you have any kind of a mailing address and can pass a driver's test...... which takes what? a couple days to get done? and a Soc Sec number... 1,2,3.

but if you are US... and overseas... it is a different set of banking practices... not just a passport but 90.221s and FATCA reporting is placed on top of that. 

I'm not complaining, but I always wonder how many folks really know about this system?

Edited by maewang99

19 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

Truly 100m are peanuts, as he is getting paid monthly by Hun Sen based on his telcom contracts with Cambodia, and surely not into a Thai account.

Too true, it is hardly worth mentioning at all.  It is around US$3million.  Given what you mentioned and his other assets, he probably makes that back somewhere between breakfast and lunch if not sooner.