Meeting held on efforts to eradicate corruption among Buddhist monks

webfact

Meeting held on efforts to eradicate corruption among Buddhist monks

BANGKOK, 13 July 2017 (NNT) – The government has met with the Sangha Supreme Council of Thailand on possible ways to rid the National Office of Buddhism of corruption problems. 

Minister to the Prime Minister’s Office Ormsin Chivapruck called a meeting with members of the Sangha Supreme Council who included Phra Phrom Moli, Region 5 monastic chief and assistant abbot of Wat Pak Nam Phasi Charoen; Phra Phrom Muni, assistant abbot of Wat Ratchabophit and secretary to the Supreme Patriarch; and Phra Phrom Bandit, abbot of Wat Prayurawongsawat. 

The discussion was concentrated on the issuance of smart cards to monks in place of their current ID cards as a way of making it more difficult for imposters to steal their identity. To this end, the Department of Provincial Administration is in the process of collecting information of monks in over 47,000 temples across the country. 

Another major topic was corruption scandals surrounding the National Office of Buddhism. Minister Ormsin pointed out that the issue has greatly affected the faith of Buddhist followers while urging responsible officials to thoroughly examine the cases so as to identify any corrupt monks.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-07-13

Simple solution really: Get rid of all the monks. :wink: The populace would have more disposable income (not having to fork out cash in return for prayers - they can just pray themselves) and the many temples around the country would make excellent community parks/green spaces. 

Just now, inThailand said:

Are there any other religions where you just shave your head, don a robe for a week, pad the wallet, and get new respect for these great regilious efforts?

Not sure: Now I have little respect (if any) for religious organisations, but at least (as far as I'm aware) in Christianity , Islam and Judaism you have to get some 'qualification' (degree in theology, years of apprenticeship etc), before you are considered to be leader of the religion. In Thailand, however, any Abbott can make you a monk with the drop of a hat (Last I read there were about 250 000 full time monks in Thailand, but with 30 000 Temples these numbers seem low. If we add in the part-timers I think we can triple that number) So we're talking a 1 - 100 ratio of monks. TO put this in context there are apparently 600 000 members of the clergy serving the US pop. 320 million. Too many monks :coffee1:

Have as many meetings as you want, it wont solve the problem.

People here are brain washed from a very young age that giving to monks will get you a better life, and also your deceased relatives will be taken care of.

It is all bu++++-t, but until that nonsense is stopped, monks will continue to scam the people.

Edited by colinneil

1 hour ago, SABloke said:

Not sure: Now I have little respect (if any) for religious organisations, but at least (as far as I'm aware) in Christianity , Islam and Judaism you have to get some 'qualification' (degree in theology, years of apprenticeship etc), before you are considered to be leader of the religion. In Thailand, however, any Abbott can make you a monk with the drop of a hat (Last I read there were about 250 000 full time monks in Thailand, but with 30 000 Temples these numbers seem low. If we add in the part-timers I think we can triple that number) So we're talking a 1 - 100 ratio of monks. TO put this in context there are apparently 600 000 members of the clergy serving the US pop. 320 million. Too many monks :coffee1:

Monks, as I believe in RC as in Bhuddism, are not religious leaders per se, but in the monkhood for their own personal "religious" purposes.

In RC you need to go to a seminary to become a priest.

In Bhuddism most monks are more or less part of a "background choir".

Only the longtime monks, revered monks might be called religious leaders.

But the thing is, Bhuddism is not really meant to be a religion, but more a way of life.

Comparing with other religions is not really possible.

I guess the way Bhuddism is organised in Thailand is just too inviting for less "religiously inclined".

The owner of an agency I once worked for was ill, his son came in and stole a few million by not paying salaries.

The son and the money were gone - he became a Monk and never faced up to liability for monies stolen.

For many people, becoming a Monk is the only way to 'wash away' their sins. Since this experience (in 2004) I can't imagine why any Thai (who should know about this practice of 'shamed' criminals beoming monks to wash their sins away) would ever imagine it being different....

However, I also understand that they are not allowed to think for themselves. Even if something is correct, if it isn't worded in exactly the same way that the brainwashers put it, then it must be completely wrong.

It is simply the status issue. Thief becomes Monk - low status is over-ridden. Thief no longer exists, Monks are above criticism.

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

In RC you need to go to a seminary to become a priest.

In Bhuddism most monks are more or less part of a "background choir".

Hmmm, maybe you are unaware of the tuition system and examinations for Monks... the more than 3 week variety....

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The government has met with the Sangha Supreme Council of Thailand on possible ways to rid the National Office of Buddhism of corruption problems. 

Simple.

Get rid of the National Office of Buddhism and reform the Thai government as a secular one that has no religious or spiritual basis.

I have pretty much lost faith in all "organized religions" However I still think the philosophies are very nice. The guidelines set out and Buddhism are how I try to live my life. I'm not very good at it but I keep on trying.

Religions are like the media in that they give you a distorted and incorrect picture of reality. As a species we are losing the function of objective thought, we want all our views served up on a platter rather than actually sorting/thinking it all out for ourselves.

2 minutes ago, Rancid said:

Religions are like the media in that they give you a distorted and incorrect picture of reality. As a species we are losing the function of objective thought, we want all our views served up on a platter rather than actually sorting/thinking it all out for ourselves.

"we want all our views served up on a platter rather than actually sorting/thinking it all out for ourselves."  i don't want that why do you?

""Lie to the people and they will embrace you. Tell them the truth and they will beat you with sticks" - Chanyaka Pundit 300 BC" {compliments of JoeyG;} this could be the definition of a politician

Edited by YetAnother

1 minute ago, YetAnother said:

""Lie to the people and they will embrace you. Tell them the truth and they will beat you with sticks" - Chanyaka Pundit 300 BC" {compliments of JoeyG; this could be the definition of a politician

Polititians are the worse.  However it was intended for the majority as well. IMHO

2 hours ago, joeyg said:

I have pretty much lost faith in all "organized religions" However I still think the philosophies are very nice. The guidelines set out and Buddhism are how I try to live my life. I'm not very good at it but I keep on trying.

Good comment, my sentiments too. Must admit to having come here in part to get away from the Western religious culture of, "do as I say, not what I do" corruption, I was once heavily involved then later in life felt poisoned by western religions,  I find it desperately disappointing to have found the same sort of behaviour here. Obviously by no means everyone here is guilty but the constant repetition acts like a dripping tap. I am coming to the realization that If I live by my own concepts of right and wrong gleaned from the best that religions and philosophies /Buddhism have to give, that is the best I can do, and it'll have to serve as my final testament. As you say JoeyG, I ain't perfect.

Edited by PeCeDe

54 minutes ago, PeCeDe said:

Good comment, my sentiments too. Must admit to having come here in part to get away from the Western religious culture of, "do as I say, not what I do" corruption, I was once heavily involved then later in life felt poisoned by western religions,  I find it desperately disappointing to have found the same sort of behaviour here. Obviously by no means everyone here is guilty but the constant repetition acts like a dripping tap. I am coming to the realization that If I live by my own concepts of right and wrong gleaned from the best that religions and philosophies /Buddhism have to give, that is the best I can do, and it'll have to serve as my final testament. As you say JoeyG, I ain't perfect.

I read you.  One thing I have gleaned after years of study is that it's best to pick a "system' and follow/try to follow it.  At least for me.  For example, when you're coming into the channel to the harbor.  You got to follow the buoys and navigation charts.  You can't pick whatever side of the buoy "you think is best."  There's a right way and a wrong way to go forward... :jap:

My Father-in-Laws Brother has been a Monk for more than 60 years.  The family were dirt poor when he joined as a boy of 8 but in that 60 years things have changed dramatically and the family have Houses and Cars etc, etc.  He personally has a large 5 bedroom house in a nice area and over the years has bought several 'gardens' where people work for him and the crops are grown and sold at local markets.  He buys a new car every two years, has had several Women in his life and has had a Daughter some 30 years ago.  He drinks and smokes and is a very popular local Monk with his 'worshippers'.

Enough said, the smart ones get rich while keeping their flock happy to keep giving more.

Edited by trainman34014
spelling mistake

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

My Father-in-Laws Brother has been a Monk for more than 60 years.  The family were dirt poor when he joined as a boy of 8 but in that 60 years things have changed dramatically and the family have Houses and Cars etc, etc.  He personally has a large 5 bedroom house in a nice area and over the years has bought several 'gardens' where people work for him and the crops are grown and sold at local markets.  He buys a new car every two years, has had several Women in his life and has had a Daughter some 30 years ago.  He drinks and smokes and is a very popular local Monk with his 'worshippers'.

Enough said, the smart ones get rich while keeping their flock happy to keep giving more.

Here ya go... 

On 13/07/2017 at 6:52 AM, inThailand said:

Are there any other religions where you just shave your head, don a robe for a week, pad the wallet, and get new respect for these great regilious efforts?

I know a "religion" which awards you with presents when you reach 7 years old and go study the religion for a week at the "temple".

The same "religion" awards you with more presents when you reach the age of 12 and go study the religion for another week at the "temple".

EVERY religion is a copy of worlds religions and are fake.