The unpredictable Thai wife......

Gary A

28 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

The more I read on Thai Visa the more I remember my son's advice the first time... a good few years ago now... I ever decided to visit Thailand. " Remember whatever it appears to be or seems it is really a Transaction at the end of the day Dad ! Never forget that ! You will always , always be payng for whatever you get. "  

How is that different from anywhere else in the world?

Please tell me where I can get something for free!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Gary A said:

The HR-V is close to a million baht if it has any options. Even at that, the wife likes the Ford looks better. I'm not really concerned with reliability with a five year warranty. The Ford also has leather seats, keyless ignition and all the bells and whistles that she wanted. I already have a Garmin GPS and a dash cam that were in the Focus. The Garmin is better as far as roads and routes plus it is easier to use than the in dash units. She would have liked a reverse camera but the Ford reverse sensors seem just as good.

I have to admit that your wife is a good negotiator if she got a brand new Everest top of the line for under 800K. I hope the 5 years warranty do not have small writing detailing the warranty exceptions...

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Dam or vacuum cleaner? 

If the latter go for Dyson - go on, spoil yourself.

Talking about vacuum cleaners, a while back I was sitting at my computer with a fan running and lights on. My computer room runs on solar. My wife gets her vacuum cleaner out and finds that  it won't run. The next thing I see is her sitting on the floor starting to take it apart power. I told her that if she waits for the electric to come back on, it will probably run fine. It did run just fine when the electric came back on. I got a laugh out of it but she wasn't amused.

9 minutes ago, umbanda said:

I have to admit that your wife is a good negotiator if she got a brand new Everest top of the line for under 800K. I hope the 5 years warranty do not have small writing detailing the warranty exceptions...

The Everest is too big, besides being too expensive. She bought an EcoSport. As far as warranty exceptions, there are the usual. Tires, battery and brakes being the main items. As long as the driveline is under warranty, I'm satisfied.

3 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

smarter not to let your girl drive unless your she buys her own car. couple mates have got into trouble letting their girls drive. 

If you had any idea of how much I hate shopping, you would understand. One of the best things I ever did was buying her a car.

5 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I can't understand what you mean.  What does:

''you know have much money we have''  mean?

I think he means "you know how much money we have and when its gone it's gone." 

I think when the money is gone she will be gone....with the car.

9 hours ago, ericthai said:

I think he means "you know how much money we have and when its gone it's gone." 

I think when the money is gone she will be gone....with the car.

:sad: ... and the house ... :sad:

:smile: I'll miss the car ...

Edited by JAS21

I readily admit that my wife is pretty much the boss in our home. There is one exception. That is when it comes to spending a large amount of money. That decision comes down to whoever pays the piper calls the tune. I pay the  piper.

19 hours ago, Gary A said:

Talking about vacuum cleaners, a while back I was sitting at my computer with a fan running and lights on. My computer room runs on solar. My wife gets her vacuum cleaner out and finds that  it won't run. The next thing I see is her sitting on the floor starting to take it apart power. I told her that if she waits for the electric to come back on, it will probably run fine. It did run just fine when the electric came back on. I got a laugh out of it but she wasn't amused.

The next morning when the sun came up?

On 14/07/2017 at 9:33 AM, PeCeDe said:

Perhaps you should have sued the dog for damages, brings a whole new meaning to the acronym, Ford... Found On Road Dead :smile: Sorry, bad humor.

Totally obscure segue of the day award.

Edited by NanLaew

17 minutes ago, livingmakmak said:

All we learned from this post is you let your wife drag your tails between your legs with your money and you're okay with it.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I think that maybe you have a little more to learn about relationships ... although with that attitude you may very well be somewhat experienced :stoner:

I think that maybe you have a little more to learn about relationships ... although with that attitude you may very well be somewhat experienced :stoner:

Been married 32 years I am sure I know more about relationships than you will ever come across. If my wife wanted a car, she would make the purchase with her own hard earned money then I would suggest to her that we can split 50/50 as it would be beneficial for the family. If I made full purchase I would expect her to be grateful and not complain. But my wife isn't Thai.
If I was to drop 800K baht of my own money to buy my wife a car then have her dare complain to me about it afterwards, I'd put her in her place so fast she wouldn't know what just happened to her. But then again, I would never be in a relationship with such a person in the first place. :)

4 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Ever heard of batteries?

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Batteries? My inverter is a 1,000 watt. She is forbidden to plug her vacuum cleaner into my inverter and battery bank. She tried that and the inverter immediately shuts down from overload. To her credit, I only had to yell at her once.

1 hour ago, livingmakmak said:

Been married 32 years I am sure I know more about relationships than you will ever come across. If my wife wanted a car, she would make the purchase with her own hard earned money then I would suggest to her that we can split 50/50 as it would be beneficial for the family. If I made full purchase I would expect her to be grateful and not complain. But my wife isn't Thai.
If I was to drop 800K baht of my own money to buy my wife a car then have her dare complain to me about it afterwards, I'd put her in her place so fast she wouldn't know what just happened to her. But then again, I would never be in a relationship with such a person in the first place. :)

WOW, the big man. Is your wife happy with you being the big boss? I don't treat my wife like a slave. In the first place she wouldn't put up with it and in the second place I wouldn't have ever married a clinging vine.

6 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

I presumed your solar set-up has storage.

The system is actually pretty small. Four 65 AH batteries, two solar panels and the thousand watt inverter is oversized for the system. It is oversized because I didn't like the original 600  watt inverter noisy fan running all the time.

WOW, the big man. Is your wife happy with you being the big boss? I don't treat my wife like a slave. In the first place she wouldn't put up with it and in the second place I wouldn't have ever married a clinging vine.

And I don't either.
In the first place I wouldn't have put up with a wife like yours and in the second place; like I said before, you let her drag your tail between your legs and you're okay with it. Good on ya
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 minutes ago, livingmakmak said:

And I don't either.
In the first place I wouldn't have put up with a wife like yours and in the second place; like I said before, you let her drag your tail between your legs and you're okay with it. Good on ya
Cheers

I will offer a contrast, and you can rake me over the coals all you like -- When my relationship with my future wife became serious, I decided I wanted a relationship built on trust, not on power & control. After we got married, she became Joint owner on all my accounts.  She has full access.  She has proven to be the wisest & most prudent money manager one could ever want.  She is empowered & happy.  Either of us can buy whatever we want, but generally neither of us spend more than $100 on anything without asking the other due to respect and ensuring prudent use of our money.  In 10 years, she has never made what I would call a "questionable" decision.  She earns her own money, but socks that away to support her parents when they retire, so she is planning years ahead.  In the meantime, she has established her own rock-solid credit score (in the U.S.) so she occasionally uses credit; pays it all off; and never bothers me about it. 

I knew this was a risk at the outset but I didn't want to go into old age with someone I could not trust.  If I was gonna get burned, I wanted to know earlier, not later. It was the best decision I could ever had made.  She is now learning about more advanced money management and investments; I know that when I go our money will support her the rest of her life, with something to pass to our little girl.  

So the lesson learned is -- you need to decide early on what you are looking for.  Is it a life partner with equal trust & power on both sides, or is it a transactional-based relationship, with one-way power & control?  One allows both parties to thrive; the other is demeaning & controlling.  The answer to this will dictate how you structure your life & personal affairs.  I got a keeper, and I treat her that way.  

9 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

I will be building an off-grid house in 592 days time.

Good luck with the solar power. I actually have two separate systems, one at the house and another similar system at an off grid farm. Four years old this month and no problems with either system. I am using Chinese components and the experts warned me that they were not reliable, considering that,  I have a spare charge controller and a spare inverter. After four years, Nothing has failed and the spares have been unneeded. 

8 hours ago, livingmakmak said:

And I don't either.
Cheers

Obviously I don't have your experience. I guess that I'm still on my honeymoon. We have only been married for about twelve years. Sometimes it's good for the king to listen to the queen. She is quite independent, farms and works part time for the electric company. No jealousy at all and at the moment I am at my condo in Jomtien by myself.  The wife is busy planting rice.