Police operation at Nana to catch trans-national criminals

webfact

Police operation at Nana to catch trans-national criminals

By The Nation

523e0ec1fdf71af65b6a710cd65eb1fb-atwb.jp

BANGKOK: -- Police inspected Bangkok's Nana area, along Soi Sukhumvit 4, early on Friday morning as part of a campaign to prevent and suppress trans-national criminals.

The operation followed complaints that the Nana area had some criminals among tourists, Pol Maj General Surachet Hakpan said.

The 2am operation, which checked foreigners for alleged illegal entry or overstaying visas as well as testing for drug abuse, was to boost tourist confidence. 

Police checked 80 tourists (14 males and 66 females) most of whom were African nationals. They found that 66 tourists had passports - six of whom (one German and five Nigerians) overstayed their visa - while the rest (four males and 10 females) did not have a passport. 

Charges were filed against the offenders. One Namibian national tested positive for substance abuse.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30320736

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-14

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raid By Soldiers, Cops Targets ‘Black People’ In Soi Nana

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

2.-20-696x521.jpg 

Police officers question those detained during last night’s raid in Soi Nana 4.

BANGKOK — More than 80 foreigners were detained during a combined military and police raid in Bangkok’s red light district Thursday night.

The operation in Soi Nana 4 – which was not backed by a court warrant – was specifically targeting “black people,” according to the commander of the raid. Seventeen people ended up being charged with visa violations.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/07/14/raid-soldiers-cops-targets-black-people-soi-nana/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-07-14

Note that they only went for people who were of African appearance/origin. They must have trawled for hours at Soi 4 as I have never seen that many African people on Soi 4 during my walk throughs at any hour of the day or night. Or maybe they are including soi 3 and 5 along with the sub-sois but that is a separate area on the other side of Sukhumvit.

Way overdue. There drug, prostitution and various other street businesses are out on the open. Not one of these people standing on lower Sukhumvit have a legitimate reason to be there. If they are not curtailed the problem will continue to grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

28 minutes ago, losername said:

I recognise that location.  It's a fine old heritage hotel in the Nana area!!

This was my first hotel experience in Sukhumvit 15 years ago!   ARRRGGGHHHHH   lol

Yeah, but. . . 

How on earth were so many folk from far-off lands - 14 out of the 80 of those apprehended - able to get into Thailand without a passport? If it's that easy, small wonder Thailand attracts so many international crooks.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The operation in Soi Nana 4 – which was not backed by a court warrant – was specifically targeting “black people,” according to the commander of the raid. Seventeen people ended up being charged with visa violations.

This is ugly stuff.  100 police and military and no court warrant because the junta gives them a free pass.

Then "target 'black people.'"  At best this is racial profiling.  For those who dont think that is a problem then look up Martin Niemöller.

humqdpf     sorry mate, but your night vision must be restricted. Walking up Soi 4 as I do on a regular basis (more than once daily) the dark skinned girls up to 50 or  60 of them are always making a pass at me often grabbing my hand.

but maybe you are not as handsome as me or do not look like a money tree 

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Yeah, but. . . 

How on earth were so many folk from far-off lands - 14 out of the 80 of those apprehended - able to get into Thailand without a passport? If it's that easy, small wonder Thailand attracts so many international crooks.

They were not carrying passports. That differs from not having one!

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Yeah, but. . . 

Maybe someone they're working for has taken the passports for 'safekeeping'. 

I enjoy Nana and Thai ladies although recently I have witnessed many more African street girls with their African men hanging around. I understand some expats and tourist enjoy these nonthai working ladies and we should be able to enjoy our preferences. I for one am happy they rounded up the people  without passports and cleaned up the area.  Soon when the Hyatt hotel is finished on Soi 13 they will do the same for that soi. Same for the new Q condos at soi 6. Good job men in black ---good job. 

Edited by Wake Up

1 hour ago, pumpjack said:

deport the lot of them scum bags ,     its beyond me how i see so many african/iranian  whores / pimps & drug dealers let loose on the streets of bkk and pattaya 

but the legal legit farangs with money to spend and valid visa are denied entry at airport  :crazy:

tested for drugs ?  ok but why not test them for HIV too  !! 

don't worry, after they have deported all those nasty brown people they can come after the white ones... oh but you are quality, right?

51 minutes ago, natway09 said:

humqdpf     sorry mate, but your night vision must be restricted. Walking up Soi 4 as I do on a regular basis (more than once daily) the dark skinned girls up to 50 or  60 of them are always making a pass at me often grabbing my hand.

but maybe you are not as handsome as me or do not look like a money tree 

my experience is similar to yours.  a big influx over the last year.  i'm pretty sure african nationals frequent a club on the right hand side as you walk past nana plaza (with sukhumvit to your back).  such club may be attached to the hotel/lobby where the police are holding them all.  i'm surprised so many had passports as i never carry mine.  but maybe they are told to do that given their line of work and possible problems.

3 hours ago, grantbkk said:

Way overdue. There drug, prostitution and various other street businesses are out on the open. Not one of these people standing on lower Sukhumvit have a legitimate reason to be there. If they are not curtailed the problem will continue to grow.

RTP had absolutely zero intelligence which would suggest these people were involved in "trans-national crime".  There were no arrests, or investigation, of crimes related to prostitution or drug dealing.  They harassed a group of blacks, based completely on their skin color, found a few overstayers and one came back with a positive urine sample.  I could have done a better job on my own rounding up the African drug dealers who hang out in front of the 7-11 on Sukhumvit near Soi 13.  Total fail.

3 hours ago, humqdpf said:

Note that they only went for people who were of African appearance/origin. They must have trawled for hours at Soi 4 as I have never seen that many African people on Soi 4 during my walk throughs at any hour of the day or night. Or maybe they are including soi 3 and 5 along with the sub-sois but that is a separate area on the other side of Sukhumvit.

Maybe you haven't been there in awhile! I was sitting at a bar overlooking the passersby and could not believe the amount of african prostitutes walking back and forth.. To top it off on the corner had a gang of no less than 6 males harrassing tourists and grabbing at single thai women as they walked past. 

What gets me is why the police are only focusing on visa violations? Surely they know what these Africans are doing and could easily catch and charge them for a more serious crime.. 

3 hours ago, grantbkk said:

you think this achieved anything?