Adventure Bikes (in the true sense)

AllanB

7 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

A KTM 390 adventure sounds promising but I dare say...the customs tax and duty will probably kill off any good price.  Pity about that as KTM do make some good bikes.

First thing to do would be to add extra cushioning to the seat.  Those 'plank' type seats are ok offroad where you do a lot of on the pegs riding, but on any length of tarmac and your rear is sure to go to sleep.

I might go check out KTM today and see when, where and what price they are expected to be....

The 390 Adventure will probably e made in India,  so price may not be too bad?  

There's also the Enfield Himalayan, which is a good price.   My Indian friends tell me tbe reliability of the latest models has been improved. 

Forgotten about the Enfields, I know it is a different bike, but it ticks two other boxes for me. I'll certainly take a look before buying.

Do they do test rides anywhere?

Don't think that model is out yet in Thailand. I seem to think it's coming out at the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Don't think that model is out yet in Thailand. I seem to think it's coming out at the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told end of October for efi, early next year for abs.  It's already available in some other export markets.

15 hours ago, Familyonthemove said:

The 390 Adventure will probably e made in India,  so price may not be too bad?  

Thailand and India's trade agreement does not include vehicles, so expect the price to be higher than you may think.

The reason why you don't see many KTM's here.

Edited by VocalNeal

7 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Thailand and India's trade agreement does not include vehicles, so expect the price to be higher than you may think.

The reason why you don't see many KTM's here.

There was also another blog about KTMs  and the initial franchise owner for Thailand apparently didnt have the customers best interests at heart.

The bikes came from India but the customs duty plus store mark up (Profit margin) was a bit crazy to say the least.  Since then KTM HQ stepped in and a new 'franchise owner' has taken over. This resulted in a huge reduction of purchase price for the customer.  Im sure a few KTM owners were a bit miffed that their bikes lost a bit of value 'overnight'.

But all said and done,  in the end it will benefit future KTM buyers.  I look forward to seeing the 390 Adventure.

• 1 month later...

I'd say there is only one true adventure bike, unless you deliberately want to make it extra difficult.....

100, 000km without any mechanical issues and a fair bit of that off-road, that is phenomenal.....Made big shots Boreman/McGreggor look like a couple of wimps, not to mention their big crappy bikes which they couldn't pick up on their own. 

Edited by AllanB