Shamed into action by social media - Pattaya authorities and soldiers in hurried beach clean-up operation

rooster59

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, maximillian said:

Maybe a donation from the European Union...

had a mate of mine doing an audit on sewage plants around thailand. he said many were not actually being used. i suspect the running budget was being pocketed. he told me about one built at a high elevation, the pump to get the waste pushed uphill broke down shortly after the plant was built and never fixed. plant was staffed but not actually processing anything.

Is there actually any kind of a proper sewerage treatment plant anywhere in the vicinity of Pattaya???

If so I'm not aware of there being one........ I've owned a home on the 'Darkside' of Pattaya for 15 years and every time we flush the toilet it may be going into that big pipe and into the beach and those 'Chinese' Quality tourists are swimming in it...........

All the while the local gov'ts. are trying to clean up a bit of 'Prostitution" while they really should be cleaning up the sewerage........... Another case of "Thai WRONG PRIORITIES"..........

Edited to Add..... I love Thailand (and Pattaya)...... and I have for 30+ years....

It is just that I don't like to see what the 'Powers that be' are doing to this lovely country and it's lovely people..........

Edited by sawadeeken
to add

I could have shown you the same pipe in 1986,haven't swam there since.That' 30 years of shit.Jomtein uset to be pristine in the early 90's,now same same not different.Went over to Ko Sri Chang for a break in the 90's Pattaya side filthy,other side ok.Thats only what i can see,imagine whats under the water.The place is an eviromental disaster.Samau's the same, under those beutiful beaches are mountains of water bottles,put there in the 1986,the year i was there plus many more ,i sure.They just dug a humungous whole and threw every days water bottles in there every day.Then they dug another whole and covered 1st hole.Same same,all of Thailand.It is an enviromental disaster,but the tourists only see the topand only for 1 week.Go look out the back of your hotel or resort,you might be surprised.And the workers are exploited to the lowest baht that theycan be paid.Any complaints,sacked,next and so on.And these hotels charge western prices,bloody modern day  corperate thieves.And they knowingly do this for decades on end.Jail is to good for mangdas praying on innocent poor people.

9 hours ago, action said:

I was on Jomtien Beach last week and as I passed a small motorbike shop just off beach road the guy was pouring used motor oil into the storm drain.  Imagine he does it on a daily basis.

You passed a small motorcycle shop!

Wow, I bet that hurt......

Doing so just off beach road will not help the filthy situation get better anytime soon.

............... or did I misunderstand you?

:sorry:

4 hours ago, johng said:

There is a sewage treatment plant on "Soi Watt Boon" in Jomtien but it seems to be unused !
1500099571585.jpg

I just posted about not knowing of a sewerage plant..... Then I saw this Post..........

Now I know why I have had a water bill all these 15 years BUT NEVER A SEWERAGE BILL.......

With this realization now........... I will try to wait till I go to Bangkok to use the toilet (I hate adding to those Quality Tourist dirty beaches.......... LOL

Pattaya is so Busy cleaning up a small bit of "Prostitution" so THEY can't be bothered with cleaning up Beaches and Beach Waters.... They are so bothered by "Sin-City" nickname even though 'Popular Places' Like Las Vegas and Rio de Janiero and a few others share the same title....

Now we have a new nick-name for Pattaya ------ "sewerage beachwater city"........

7 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

apparently these officials only do something when shamed; what do they do otherwise ? sleep ?

Probably Play cards................. In some of the illegal 'police operated' card dens......... LOL.....

Edited to add ---- Or visit the couple underage prostitutes that they have hidden here.........

Edited by sawadeeken
to add

6 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I keep reading that those large pipes are pumping poo into the bay, but Ctiy Hall state that it's pumping from the storm drains etc whenever we have a storm to reduce flooding.

Does anyone have concrete proof that raw sewage is being pumped into the bay ?

Either way, you wouldn't even catch me paddling in that gunk.

Not actually proof but many years ago I went in the sea in Patts. Being a bit down the evolutionary scale and hairy I felt all the "goldfish" nibbling me and attaching to my hair.

uRGH!

never again

5 hours ago, Mad mick said:

Noth

Nothing will change the whole country is a rubbish  tip " thais love thailand so they say " but trash goes out the window every second + + the vendors who use the beach to make money should clean the s_ _ te up daily " morning and evenings " criky Bali has been actively doing this since 70s. Not rocket science. 

Everytime i see a filthy act i say do they love Thailand or not and point to offending rubbish.The always say yes but never ever pick up rubbish even though bin could be just metres away.I then say they do not love Thailand and walk away shaking my head.

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Tnews reported that after the clean-up operation there was much less rubbish and the sea was "a better color than the previous day".

Sure, if they continue for a week the water will be a s clear as the Mediterranean

6 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

6 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I keep reading that those large pipes are pumping poo into the bay, but Ctiy Hall state that it's pumping from the storm drains etc whenever we have a storm to reduce flooding.

Does anyone have concrete proof that raw sewage is being pumped into the bay ?

Either way, you wouldn't even catch me paddling in that gunk.

Not actually proof but many years ago I went in the sea in Patts. Being a bit down the evolutionary scale and hairy I felt all the "goldfish" nibbling me and attaching to my hair.

uRGH!

never again

I have owned a home on the 'Darkside' (east-side) of Pattaya for 15 years and have NEVER had a Sewerage Bill..........   Need More Proof????????      Try Smirnoff 100 Proof............ LOL..........

7 hours ago, digger70 said:

Why don't they follow the Shit trail to where it comes from and Prosecute the offenders and make them fix the problem. Cleaning the beach will only last for a day or two.They will stop doing that and the Shit will be there Again. ): 

Some of us where idealistic like you diggger,back in the 70-80's.Same shittrail then as now.We tried and we're even threatened for bringing it to attention.You cant beat these people espcially in Chonburi.If Thais want to ruin one of their main moneyearners,up to them.I just moved inland,got a big plot i can control,and have a coupla beach boltholes i can hang in when i want,and seawater i can swim in,and not a f jet ski for 100klms.

14 hours ago, champers said:

This activity needs to be done daily rather than once or twice a week. Also, the root cause needs proper attention, not just the symptons.

I find the number of plastic bottles that wash up on the beach, every day, mindboggling. Where the hell do they come from?

Source 1:  Most of the streams from northern and central Thailand find their way to the Chaopraya (sp.) river, which passes through the large Bangkok Metropolitan area and "dumps" its pollution-laden water into the Gulf of Thailand.  It then flows down towards Pattaya-Jomtien. 

Source 2: Boats that dump their waste into the Gulf of Thailand. 

Source 3: Direct dumping of sewerage from multiple sources that I will not mention :sick:

4 hours ago, geisha said:

Friends of mine showed me a video of the filth spewing out into the sea at Jomtien.

taken from a higher floor on the beach View Talay it looked frightening. Needless to say I would never ever swim there, or in Pattaya.

I wouldn't swim in any Thailand beaches

None of this seems to be hurting this place.  I have lived here for 18 months and I think tonight may have been the most traffic I have seen.  Solid pretty much from Jomtien over the hill to Nakula on 2nd RD. Beach Road packed many cars and  tour buses. Hit up a couple malls and generally people walking all over the place.

It would make things easier if they had a moratorium on the buses lets say no buses after 7 pm.  But I know it will never happen.

So, despite the beach issues this place looks like it is thriving.

How many billions of people are there in China?  They seem to be coming more and more looks like it could continue forever...

Edited by bkk6060

I wander along the beaches of UK on the Wirral, North Wales and Anglesey and hardly any rubbish washes up on the beaches, yet Asian beaches are full of it. Asian beaches I have seen full of washed up garbage are in Vietnam, Thailand, Phillipines. Maybe I should just stay at home if I want to see clean beaches?

10 minutes ago, manhood said:

So as a tourist destination Pattaya has one of the dirtiest beaches i ever seen in this world!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder still people go into the sea for swimming........

So when are they taking ocean water samples and publish the results  in the media?Like how they do in Europe.

The thing is we Europeans have been educated in recycling. All the stuff you throw away has to go somewhere and if it can be recycled and used again, that is good. In Asia they dont have this mindset, hence all the garbage in the sea. Paradise lost. If you find a deserted beach in Asia chances are it will be full of washed up garbage. Unlike the tourist beaches where someone will be paid to clean it so the tourists keep coming.

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

None of this seems to be hurting this place.  I have lived here for 18 months and I think tonight may have been the most traffic I have seen.  Solid pretty much from Jomtien over the hill to Nakula on 2nd RD. Beach Road packed many cars and  tour buses. Hit up a couple malls and generally people walking all over the place.

It would make things easier if they had a moratorium on the buses lets say no buses after 7 pm.  But I know it will never happen.

How many billions of people are there in China?  They seem to be coming more and more looks like it could continue forever...

Agree.  And this is supposedly 'low season'. 

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:23 AM, williamgeorgeallen said:

the internet is changing everything, including how people travel. even my own 72 year old mother checks everything on trip adviser  before taking her winter vacation. travelers will read people beach experiences in pattaya and avoid it.

I think the Chinese visiting en mass probably think Pattaya is better than whatever s***h*** they come from. I certainly don't think they will be deterred.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think the Chinese visiting en mass probably think Pattaya is better than whatever s***h*** they come from. I certainly don't think they will be deterred.

they seemed to be deterred by the govt last year when they cracked down on zero dollar tourists. the number of buses on the roads seemed to drop off a lot. i have been out of pattaya 6 months now, not sure if they came back.

On 7/15/2017 at 11:47 PM, MaiChai said:

I wander along the beaches of UK on the Wirral, North Wales and Anglesey and hardly any rubbish washes up on the beaches, yet Asian beaches are full of it. Asian beaches I have seen full of washed up garbage are in Vietnam, Thailand, Phillipines. Maybe I should just stay at home if I want to see clean beaches?

Maybe just stay home period.

On 7/15/2017 at 9:35 PM, bkk6060 said:

17 hours ago, newnative said:

Agree.  And this is supposedly 'low season'. 

+1. Out yesterday, traffic bad, lots of people walking around, mall packed. Two lanes opened at Asia Books, had to stand in line. Yeah, what low season? Herein lies the answer to the mystery of why Terminal 21 is being built.

Just now, JSixpack said:

+1. Out yesterday, traffic bad, lots of people walking around, mall packed. Two lanes opened at Asia Books, had to stand in line. Yeah, what low season? Herein lies the answer to the mystery of why Terminal 21 is being built.

Another poor excuse from our resident apologist. Yesterday was Sunday, when all working middle class Thais have a day off, last time I checked there were 7 days in a week.