KILLED IN A RUBBER RING Brit backpacker, 21, who couldn’t swim drowns after being dragged underwater by river currents while ‘tubing’ in Cambodia

geovalin

Steven Griffiths had been travelling around Asia since January and had worked as a barman at a tourist resort before meeting up with pals

By Felix Allen

A BRITISH backpacker who could not swim drowned in Cambodia yesterday after being dragged underwater while using an inflatable rubber ring.
Steven Griffiths, 21, had been travelling around Asia since January and had worked as a barman at a tourist resort before meeting up with pals.

Yesterday he drank coffee with friends at breakfast before they jumped in the river, splashing around with inflatables used for “tubing” activities.

Not the best idea to go into a river when you can't swim.  Darwin Award?  Sad for his family though, although I don't know why the parents asked why anyone would let him go swimming if he could not swim... how are others supposed to know?  He was not a little kid.

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, VocalNeal said:

Not teaching one's children to swim is inexcusable. 4/5ths of the planet's surface is covered in the stuff.

I can't fly so I wouldn't jump out of an aircraft.

Do the schools still teach children to swim as standard around 10 years of age or was I just lucky all those years ago?

10 hours ago, topt said:

Do the schools still teach children to swim as standard around 10 years of age or was I just lucky all those years ago?

It was when I was in school but maybe it was dropped. I think it should be mandatory

around the world as part of your physical education. If not during the academic year

during the summer break.