Passport minimum 6 months validity

Maybe someone here can explain me what is the main reason that most of countries required to have passport valid minimum 6 months (i think some are 3 months) to be eligible to enter the country.

This is not a question specific to Thailand as it is I believe applicable for many country.

I know this requirement but it came today as my wife and me are going to Myanmar today and during the check-in, the airline staff highlighted that the passport of my wife will expire in 5 and half month. So she was first rejected for check-in! After long discussion, explaining that she will come back to Thailand in 10 days ( she has a return booked ticket)...they finally let check-in after she acknowledged that she might be rejected at Myanmar immigration in Yangon and force to flight back immediately.

Not complaining as the rule is very clear. Just try to understand the reason of this rule.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Not sure where the 6 months validity requirement comes from. I just did a search and could not find answer.

I think it may come from an old international  treaty requirement that has been changed.  Many countries do not have the same rule now.

Some countries such as Thailand does base the requirement by country now. For example the US bases it by country. See this PDF file https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Six Month Club Update_0.pdf

It is interesting to note the nearby countries that are not on the 6 month club list but Thailand is on it.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

Not sure where the 6 months validity requirement comes from. I just did a search and could not find answer.
I think it may come from an old international  treaty requirement that has been changed.  Many countries do not have the same rule now.
Some countries such as Thailand does base the requirement by country now. For example the US bases it by country. See this PDF file https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Six Month Club Update_0.pdf
It is interesting to note the nearby countries that are not on the 6 month club list but Thailand is on it.

Thanks for the answer. I just fail to understand that. I would understand that you are allow in some countries to enter on visa exempt for 6 months but you must ensure that passport remain valid for this period of 6 months...
I also believe that airlines are stricly following the rules to avoid any penalties.
We are now at the boarding gate in Bangkok and we will see once we reach Myanmar if immigration says something or even if she is rejected and need to come back on next plane...:)

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, jphasia said:

We are now at the boarding gate in Bangkok and we will see once we reach Myanmar if immigration says something or even if she is rejected and need to come back on next plane...:)

I hope you are able (willing) to report the outcome. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

Just now, jphasia said:

As Expected, no issue in Yangon Airport. Immigration just stamped the passport as usual. No question asked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good !  

Cannot help but believe your wife was fortunate/lucky ! 

Thanks for remembering to report back --- appreciated.

Good !  

Cannot help but believe your wife was fortunate/lucky ! 

Thanks for remembering to report back --- appreciated.

Yes, agreed. She is here for 10 days. As soon as she is back in Thailand, she will go get a new passport she is travelling often to Myanmar. Basically 2 weeks in Myanmar, 2 weeks in Thailand and so on...

A rule is a rule, when flying.

Please no offence, but it is really annoying when people who are aware [or] of international passenger regulations start to argue at check in and delay everybody...

Sure one needs to understand, but please, do your learning beforehand and elsewhere then at the airport counter at check-in that delays all fellow passengers!!

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font, Forum Netiquette 1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.

A rule is a rule, when flying.

Please no offence, but it is really annoying when people who are aware [or] of international passenger regulations start to argue at check in and delay everybody...

Sure one needs to understand, but please, do your learning beforehand and elsewhere then at the airport counter at check-in that delays all fellow passengers!!

Well, i agree with you but please take note we are not arguing. As stated in my first post, a rule is a rule and no argue on that. Yes we messed up as my wife missed that her passport has 5 and half month validity left only. But when the airline staff informed us about this problem, we were ready to accept that she has to postpone her trip today to get a new passport prior to come back to Myanmar. We just highlighted to the airline staff that she entered and exit Myanmar 2 weeks ago (so she was already within the 6 months validity left) and neither the airline or the immigration in Myanmar mentioned anything that time. Also that she had return ticket booked for her return to Thailand in 10 days. The airline asked us to acknowledge the risk of being denied in Yangon and eventual charges by both immigration and airline, which we accepted.
If they would have denied my wife to check-in again after after discussion, no big deal, she would have reschedule her trip today and I would have fly alone.

We did not delayed anyone because first we are travelling on premium or business only and using the respected business check in counter which is usually not crowded and gladly they were nobody behind us. Also we came for check-in very early as we had plan to have lunch at the airport.
We are both travelling a lot. Myself actually flew from Yangon to Bangkok yesterday evening and back to Yangon this afternoon with my wife.
As I mentioned in my first post, we are not complaining about this situation. Just failing to understand this rule.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jphasia said:

Well, i agree with you but please take note we are not arguing. As stated in my first post, a rule is a rule and no argue on that. Yes we messed up as my wife missed that her passport has 5 and half month validity left only. But when the airline staff informed us about this problem, we were ready to accept that she has to postpone her trip today to get a new passport prior to come back to Myanmar. We just highlighted to the airline staff that she entered and exit Myanmar 2 weeks ago (so she was already within the 6 months validity left) and neither the airline or the immigration in Myanmar mentioned anything that time. Also that she had return ticket booked for her return to Thailand in 10 days. The airline asked us to acknowledge the risk of being denied in Yangon and eventual charges by both immigration and airline, which we accepted.
If they would have denied my wife to check-in again after after discussion, no big deal, she would have reschedule her trip today and I would have fly alone.

We did not delayed anyone because first we are travelling on premium or business only and using the respected business check in counter which is usually not crowded and gladly they were nobody behind us. Also we came for check-in very early as we had plan to have lunch at the airport.
We are both travelling a lot. Myself actually flew from Yangon to Bangkok yesterday evening and back to Yangon this afternoon with my wife.
As I mentioned in my first post, we are not complaining about this situation. Just failing to understand this rule.

Good and I hope you enjoyed your trip and that things get sorted out soon.

I am confident that you did not take my comment as a direct hint on your situation, and that you have assessed the point and the picture I was attempting to describe on some situations at check-in that do occur quite often.

Have a nice evening.

• Like 1