Does she know it's your birthday?

Yes to all but her folks....

Usually a nice dinner out with a birthday cake & candles and a present....They are all crafty and make up birthday cards....

Cake for our oldest daughter...

IMG20161118104249.jpg

My wife said her family never celebrated birthdays growing up so they are not that important to her. We just usually splurge on ourselves and get one expensive thing that we want. This year I got myself a nice new smartphone since my old one died (was using my even older previous one prior to purchase). She bought herself a fitbit fitness band. It is easier than guessing what the other person wants.

My wife never forgets a birthday as it is an excuse for a party - last year it was a 'surprise' party for me so none of my friends got invited though loads of hers showed up.

No my wife barely remembers birthdays. Mine or her family. She can't even remember where she left her keys half the time even though I told her to place them in the same place each time. 

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

My wife never forgets my birthday.

Cake and small party, the problem i have with it is she invites the outlaws, and i have to be civil to them.                

Better than being forgotten methinks.....Have to take the blessings - big & small....

She remembers mine even if i forget it. Does not make it a big deal (which is good). Normally just asks what special food I want her to make for me and if I want to do anything special. (See a movie, visit a park, etc).

Kinda sweet now that I think about it.

On hers she just wants me to cook and get her a big cake. No parties for either of us.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

My wife never forgets my birthday.

Cake and small party, the problem i have with it is she invites the outlaws, and i have to be civil to them.                

yea but do the inlaws eat cake ?  or do they get treated to full table of thai food , a crate of beer leo or two and a few bottles of lao khao 

My last 2 resulted in late night motorbike runs by her to the nearest store that had anything resembling a festive edible object.  Truth be told she is awesome year round and I don't need specially decorated confection to remember that.  I do make a note of hers though with jewelry and I even "bake" a cake.  She deserves it, trust me.

5 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Usually a nice dinner out with a birthday cake & candles and a present....They are all crafty and make up birthday cards....

IMG20161118104249.jpg

Congratulations to your wife on a very nicely done cake.

I *used* to be able to decorate cakes like that (probably still could, if I went out and bought all the tools again)

5 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

IMG20161118104249.jpg

I'd have to ask myself--is this a nice thought or a superfluous use of your money?

3 hours ago, Orac said:

My wife never forgets a birthday as it is an excuse for a party - last year it was a 'surprise' party for me so none of my friends got invited though loads of hers showed up.

That seems quite one-way, doesn't it? Does she know and can get in touch with any of your friends?

1 hour ago, pumpjack said:

yea but do the inlaws eat cake ?  or do they get treated to full table of thai food , a crate of beer leo or two and a few bottles of lao khao 

My outlaws get treated with as little as i can get away with.

No alcohol, as i cannot drink ( due to medication) they dont get any.

My outlaws and me have a love hate relationship, i love to hate them, they love to hate me.:cheesy:

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

I'd have to ask myself--is this a nice thought or a superfluous use of your money?

Nothing is ever extravagantly done & the presents are always in line and proper for the girls ages.... When we go for a celebration birthday dinner it's the favorite of the birthday person, which means it is one of the places we usually go anyway....

Nothing about my wife is big time/big show or one upping - over the top....She's not wired that way....

It's just the 4 of us..Celebrating a birthday with a dinner & cake...

My birthday falls sometimes during a visit to the fil's - they ambushed me with a cake coming out of the shower surrounded by 8 excited smiling singing faces....

Somebody drove a lot of kilometers  - (25 one way) to find a cake & ice cream....

So your answer is no...The cake in the picture was right at about 1000฿ which I wouldn't think excessive....

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Nothing is ever extravagantly done & the presents are always in line and proper for the girls ages.... When we go for a celebration birthday dinner it's the favorite of the birthday person, which means it is one of the places we usually go anyway....

Nothing about my wife is big time/big show or one upping - over the top....She's not wired that way....

It's just the 4 of us..Celebrating a birthday with a dinner & cake...

My birthday falls sometimes during a visit to the fil's - they ambushed me with a cake coming out of the shower surrounded by 8 excited smiling singing faces....

Somebody drove a lot of kilometers  - (25 one way) to find a cake & ice cream....

So your answer is no...The cake in the picture was right at about 1000฿ which I wouldn't think excessive....

Not meant as an insult, just my reaction. My first thought was it was a funeral wreath; then I realized it was a purchased cake.  I then wondered if it wouldn't be more meaningful and loving  if it were less ornate and ostentatious.   I would prefer a homemade cake.  

44 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Not meant as an insult, just my reaction. My first thought was it was a funeral wreath; then I realized it was a purchased cake.  I then wondered if it wouldn't be more meaningful and loving  if it were less ornate and ostentatious.   I would prefer a homemade cake.  

Something like this the girls make for us as a surprise once in awhile?

Got that handled during normal times.....Cookies too....

She loved that cake when she saw one - and we got her one - she never asks for a thing....

The younger one wanted a standing doll cake - and she got it.....One day a year - their day.....

As I mentioned, they take hours designing & making birthday cards that are beautiful, original, ornate, and personalized - pretty special....My wife believes, and has taught them, that the cards have to come from the heart with love....She doesn't think store bought cards are special enough....I have mine squirreled away.....I forget about them then "find" and look at them like new again....Some are on display in the house....

I'll take those over a cake....

As a matter of fact our youngest is coming up on her tweener birthday next month....I'll ask her to start planning/thinking about her special cake - it'll give her a month of eager, delicious anticipation....We hide them until candle time so it's a special moment for them....

Part of the fun.....

Works for me.....

IMG_20170717_175849.jpg

9 hours ago, smotherb said:

I thought it was a homemade cake.   No reason why PGrahmm's wide couldn't have learn't how to make and decorate a cake like that.   

11 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Something like this the girls make for us as a surprise once in awhile?

Got that handled during normal times.....Cookies too....

She loved that cake when she saw one - and we got her one - she never asks for a thing....

The younger one wanted a standing doll cake - and she got it.....One day a year - their day.....

As I mentioned, they take hours designing & making birthday cards that are beautiful, original, ornate, and personalized - pretty special....My wife believes, and has taught them, that the cards have to come from the heart with love....She doesn't think store bought cards are special enough....I have mine squirreled away.....I forget about them then "find" and look at them like new again....Some are on display in the house....

I'll take those over a cake....

As a matter of fact our youngest is coming up on her tweener birthday next month....I'll ask her to start planning/thinking about her special cake - it'll give her a month of eager, delicious anticipation....We hide them until candle time so it's a special moment for them....

Part of the fun.....

Works for me.....

IMG_20170717_175849.jpg

Yes, I would much prefer the love in the homemade cake