Oil Consumption

Jessi

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, JAS21 said:

For the purist ... what a smell ........ just a teaspoonful needed in with your fuel .......................

I caught the Castrol virus from my Dad sitting in the road servicing his Rudge in Wembley when l was a kid handed the right size spanners. :biggrin:

10 hours ago, transam said:

Yes, it will probably get past old crank seals and clean out stuff you don't want cleaned out cos it is holding back oil usage/burning...I have the T-shirt..

Did I read someone brought the racist card to the motoring forum....

596d770c22e9a_laughalot.gif.094ca6fef590f355414f11147b62a90f.gif

And you would also say the same for (manual) gearboxes? Don't use synth?

(have looked for synt gear oil in BKK (Worachak area) can't find normal syn gear oil, half syn is available.)

(well, can find fully synt gear oil but that is special oil for track racing applications, way more expensive than costly)

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

(have looked for synt gear oil in BKK (Worachak area) can't find normal syn gear oil, half syn is available.)

(well, can find fully synt gear oil but that is special oil for track racing applications, way more expensive than costly)

Have you tried HKS ... does it really matter about the cost if it won't use any ......... whatever, the cost of the oil, it can't be very many % compared to the rest of the project can it :smile: look forward to seeing it charging up the Chao Phraya one day....

596e3373d8071_bored2.jpg.8c01eed45f0940cf6c7a354c9ff2fd54.jpg

9 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Have you tried HKS ... does it really matter about the cost if it won't use any ......... whatever, the cost of the oil, it can't be very many % compared to the rest of the project can it :smile: look forward to seeing it charging up the Chao Phraya one day....

fair enough, satang noi compared to the rest, uses a wee bit through warm oil rich over pressure air, very little

yep, me too, have been chased by Murphy since last autumn, this has taken way too long

dumped some photos the other week, here; (if you are interested)

12 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

(

No, I would first do some research on the pros and cons as mineral oil does and always has done a good job in a very clean environment where little heat is involved. Plus I have not had a manual ride for many decades...:stoner:

26 minutes ago, transam said:

No, I would first do some research on the pros and cons as mineral oil does and always has done a good job in a very clean environment where little heat is involved. Plus I have not had a manual ride for many decades...:stoner:

clean, yes

little heat, no (the box is getting very warm indeed, very warm)

(warm; probably 'cause the rpm is quite high compared to what the box normally experiences)

4 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

clean, yes

little heat, no (the box is getting very warm indeed, very warm)

(warm; probably 'cause the rpm is quite high compared to what the box normally experiences)

Manual trans oil temp gets nowhere near engine oil temps and the seals that hold the oil. Engine oils work around 230F. Auto trans is a different kettle of fish, it is a work place using engine HP, sees temps probably 175F and up..

2 hours ago, transam said:

Manual trans oil temp gets nowhere near engine oil temps and the seals that hold the oil. Engine oils work around 230F. Auto trans is a different kettle of fish, it is a work place using engine HP, sees temps probably 175F and up..

I haven't heard of any make of car that runs a coolant around its gearbox. Race cars, perhaps?

Edited by bazza73
Qualification

12 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

I haven't heard of any make of car that runs a coolant around its gearbox. Race cars, perhaps?

Perhaps MM is talking about the gearbox in his boat project ... and if he is putting more power through it than design then it probably will run hot ... plenty of cooling medium available to him though ...

19 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Nor me, but an auto trans fluid exits the trans and goes through the bottom of a rides radiator where the water is coolest or has an air cooled cooler usually strapped to the rad so the fan pulls air through it then returns the fluid to the box sump..

The only rides I have dealt with where the oil gets really hot is transverse engine and box combo's where the box uses the engine oil..Real Mini's for instance...

18 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Perhaps MM is talking about the gearbox in his boat project ... and if he is putting more power through it than design then it probably will run hot ... plenty of cooling medium available to him though ...

Yes, actually I was.

The gearbox is a manual, 4-gear, from an about 30 year old Mazda 6-wheeler truck. Very popular in longtail boats and in larger taxi boats.

4-gear yes, but reverse, 1st and 2nd are removed, the 3rd gear is flipped and used as reverse.

Guess the original engine would be a modest 4-pot diesel, say 100-120 horsepowers with rpm, max 3000?

My engine is 260 hp at 5400, so the box has something to chew on.

Not running flat pedal all the time of course, hardly ever. But in general boat engines works much harder than car engines,

a boat is ALWAYS running uphill, relatively higher rpm than cars, only the highest gear available.

Edited by melvinmelvin
typo

Bank on Castrol to come up with the good stuff.

Pitty cannot find it in BKK, I've looked a lot.

Google Castrol Bangkok....Seems to be available, several oils & lubricants shown - regular containers as in stock....

43 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Google Castrol Bangkok....Seems to be available, several oils & lubricants shown - regular containers as in stock....

It's everywhere here in the boonies never used anything else on my bikes,  can't beleive it's not in Bkk because the garage l buy my Castrol bike oil from gets it from Bkk. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

It's everywhere here in the boonies never used anything else on my bikes,  can't beleive it's not in Bkk because the garage l buy my Castrol bike oil from gets it from Bkk. :thumbsup:

hmm,

you buy synthetic gearoil in the sticks?

sent them an email asking where I could buy

found a page with Mobile fully synt gear oil, but the www was in Thai, cannot read

anyway, am using Valvoline semi synth now.

35 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

hmm,

found a page with Mobile fully synt gear oil, but the www was in Thai, cannot read

Mobil oil is great for cars,  Valvoline will be OK as well no worries they copied Castrol.  :biggrin: 

MM has removed half the guts from the gearbox so now more room ... drill a hole each side ... stuff a pipe through ... run part of the Chayo Phaya through that pipe ...jobs a goodun...now any old oil will do .......?

5 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

MM has removed half the guts from the gearbox so now more room ... drill a hole each side ... stuff a pipe through ... run part of the Chayo Phaya through that pipe ...jobs a goodun...now any old oil will do .......?

Actually the spinning gears is what sloshes the lube around - the more gears spinning the more lubricant bouncing around....

Not sure any of that matters much with a good synthetic....I'd think a boat would be pretty light duty work load wise...

7 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Actually the spinning gears is what sloshes the lube around - the more gears spinning the more lubricant bouncing around....

Not sure any of that matters much with a good synthetic....I'd think a boat would be pretty light duty work load wise...

Above,

pipe (with flexible hoses) through box and water/coolant in pipe might be an OK idea, need give that some thought

boat is not light duty, its very hard work, much harder for the power train to drive a boat than to drive a car,

note, boats ALWAYS run uphill (no flat terrain and no downhill for boats),

always high gear,

relatively high rpm over prolonged periods compared to cars

34 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Above,

pipe (with flexible hoses) through box and water/coolant in pipe might be an OK idea, need give that some thought

boat is not light duty, its very hard work, much harder for the power train to drive a boat than to drive a car,

always high gear,

Yep, Chevy V8's used for marine use were built tough, 4 bolt mains etc, they had an "M" (matine) cast in the block behind the timing chain, and engines used by the military had a "W" (war) cast in the same place..great engines to find for hotrod use...:thumbsup:

13 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

hmm,

They sell Full Syn everywhere. Just go into any Toyota garage and they have it. But they will put in Semi Syn for service unless you ask for full.

N/B Toyota recommend Semi Syn.

Edited by fredob43

2 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

They sell Full Syn everywhere. Just go into any Toyota garage and they have it. But they will put in Semi Syn for service unless you ask for full.

N/B Toyota recommend Semi Syn.

interesting, I have actually been trawling the car spare part - battery - engine/gear oil area in BKK,

Worachak/Luang and have been to LOTS of shops outside the city center,

haven't been able to find it - except for the very expensive stuff for track racing that I mentioned above,

just a wee bit less than 3000 baht/litre

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

Above,

always high gear,

Guess I should have appreciated my boat more (20 ft Cobalt) when I had it....

Are you running a Thai style long tail gear like the quick thin ones? I remember your headers question...

22 hours ago, transam said:

Nor me, but an auto trans fluid exits the trans and goes through the bottom of a rides radiator where the water is coolest or has an air cooled cooler usually strapped to the rad so the fan pulls air through it then returns the fluid to the box sump..

The only rides I have dealt with where the oil gets really hot is transverse engine and box combo's where the box uses the engine oil..Real Mini's for instance...

I occasionally wonder why the air-cooled setup of the Volkswagen Beetle was not adopted by more car manufacturers. One less fluid system to leak, although there were presumably other variables which cancelled out that benefit.

54 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Guess I should have appreciated my boat more (20 ft Cobalt) when I had it....

Are you running a Thai style long tail gear like the quick thin ones? I remember your headers question...

yes, Tyai style tail, 175 inches long

there is a bunch of pics both of the old and the new boat in this thread;