Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in CASH when entering Thailand

webfact

4 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

20kb is a lot of money. How can someone spent 20kb in his holiday?

A lot of money?
If one takes a thirty day on arrival permission that amounts to 667 baht, or about $20/day.
Not a whole bunch even in LOS.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, juice777 said:

No It dose not it says documentation of accommodation. And to me it reads documentation of finances as well it clearly dose not say cash. Dose the AND mean documentation of finances as well? To me it dose especially as it dose not say only cash. And also we can't show cash when applying for the visa. And the poster said it was hidden away on there Web site. And it says 10000 per person not 20000 so the whole thing is BS anyway.

"proved document of confirmed accommodation in Thailand, and adequate finances equivalent to at least 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000"

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

And you've hit the nail on the head here with "proved document of confirmed accommodation in Thailand, and adequate finances equivalent to at least 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000"

As has been mentioned before if one is going on holiday to Thailand (ie is a Tourist) and staying long enough to need a visa then even 20,000 Baht isn't exactly a fortune in one's own currency. Using my home currency, at today's rate of 43.85, 20,000 works out at roughly £450. Now you've just spent, say £300 to 600 on a ticket and you need spending money...don't you?  So you've got your first 20,000 and then top it up from ATMs later, or if you happen to have a Thai bank account use that. If and IMO this is unlikely, you don't spend it all then you take it home with you...simples!

So my 2 points are (based on years of experience of annual trips to Thailand):

1. 20,000 Baht is just not that much money for a tourist in Thailand for several weeks - you're going to spend it eventually
  2. It does NOT need to be in Baht - if I could show £500 (example) I'd be well inside the limit and obviously i will know the approximate exchange rate well before I travel

And as a further observation: This requirement has been on the books for many years - so far not enforced but I for one always have cash on me when i cross borders - even in today's environment, it's the one guaranteed method of payment.  

I await the "flamers" with amused interest...... :saai:

• Like 2

On 7/17/2017 at 8:35 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Some of you guys don't get it. Its not about what's logical or how it should be done, its about what you have to do. You are just pissing in the wind if you don't follow rules.

The other point is, they will have to change, or not enforce this because the millions of people that visit here will not follow the rule.  They are trying to bring tourists here in their "digital economy" and "Thailand 4.0" in a country that has been labeled unsafe.  It's draconian, contradictory and self defeating to require CASH in hand.  I believe that is the point people are trying to make, and the one you are trying to ignore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Are you the original cheap charlie ?  

20K Bht is less than £500 -- or  approx £35/day if staying for 2 weeks. 

You are either on a windup or you enjoy fan rooms in cheap guest houses and noodle soup!    :cheesy:

I do like noodle soup, but not on holiday, 555.
I am eating my share of Mama right now as we hope to holiday in Europe for a week later this year.
I have seen 50 Euros/person/per day recommended for Germany, though don't yet know what the package tour includes. May be good with much less if some meals are included.
I get by here on much less, but then I live here now. 6,000 baht rent, and I shop where my Thai neighbours shop, and go to a provincial hospital for common ailments.
I did NOT know that I might be asked to show cash when I first arrived in 2014 on a thirty-day visa exempt. .. I guess that is not a rule in that circumstance.
No trouble getting a thirty-day extension at Bkk immigration on that deal.
Next trip I used a service to get a 60-day two entry visa from a US based Thai consulate.
Latest is a "non O multiple entry", which I am still trying to figure out how to use. :smile: 
Life is good here and will get better as I learn the ropes and the language, I expect.

18 minutes ago, Redline said:

The other point is, they will have to change, or not enforce this because the millions of people that visit here will not follow the rule.  They are trying to bring tourists here in their "digital economy" and "Thailand 4.0" in a country that has been labeled unsafe.  It's draconian, contradictory and self defeating to require CASH in hand.  I believe that is the point people are trying to make, and the one you are trying to ignore.

@Redline  I agree that should be true but regrettably the rules are the rules and when in Rome...etc. I think Draconian is a slight exaggeration but just "IMO."..

But actually with all the scams and inherent security problems in Thailand, in some ways i feel safer using cash despite being happy to use modern technology in UK/Europe.

And, just a small example also: when i last paid an hotel bill in Thailand on a UK Credit card, I not only had to pay the hotel 3% extra but there were bank charges imposed on top. I ended up paying an extra £22 for not using cash

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2017 at 9:42 PM, CRUNCHER said:

As I understand it there is no ATM air-side of immigration.  If you pass immigration to get to an ATM you have in fact entered the Kingdom and the only way to remove you is deportation - at least it is not as simple as being refused entry.

Another problem in respect of producing a bank book is that it is only accurate as at the date is was last updated. Even showing a credit card only shows you have a credit card; it does not show whether you are over limit etc.

Demanding to see cash is the simple way out for immigration. Having said that I am sure there is room for some leeway in handling this situation.

With mobile banking apps it is possible to show your CURRENT balance.  No need for cash or a bank book.   But they are overlooking the fact that most tourists are carrying CREDIT CARDS.  Credit cards allow for paying for most everything, and even getting a cash advance for those cash only expenditures.  So the Thai Immigration Department's  "show me the cash" policy is stupid, ignorant and out of touch with the reality of 21st century economics.

It also flies in the face of the Thai government's stated policy of moving to a cashless society.  You know, Thailand 4.0.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VBF said:

@Redline  I agree that should be true but regrettably the rules are the rules and when in Rome...etc. I think Draconian is a slight exaggeration but just "IMO."..

But actually with all the scams and inherent security problems in Thailand, in some ways i feel safer using cash despite being happy to use modern technology in UK/Europe. Just a small example also, when i last paid an hotel bill in Thailand on a UK Credit card, I not only had to pay the hotel 3% extra but there were bank charges imposed on top. I ended up paying an extra £22 for not using cash

I use both depending on the situation/place.  I am going to the bank now to find out about a charge on my credit card.  It doesn't seem to be on the receipt.

Their are a lot of good points and a lot of bad points being on here, many circulating around how much laws are enforced in societies and when

Does anyone have any clarification or know of more horror stories of valid tourists who come to Thailand often not being allowed in, other than maybe the 2 that've been posted?

I'll go sometimes 3 times a year for fun and now I'm afraid to even try and enter the country and from the sound of it, I'm not the only tourist who feels this way.

19 minutes ago, Redline said:

I use both depending on the situation/place.  I am going to the bank now to find out about a charge on my credit card.  It doesn't seem to be on the receipt.

@Redline  As we're at risk of going :offtopic2:  I've sent you a PM

• Like 1

When will tourists learn they are required to wear an armband of a particular colour and carrying an agreed clearly visible, recognisable symbol - maybe a passport number tattoo on the wrist as well before they hit those immigration queues?  Xenophobia promoted and encouraged for purely political purposes.

Welcome to Thailand! So glad you chose to visit!  The cattle wagons, sealed for your protection,  to take you to your luxury accommodation are just over there,  see? Walk between the two lines of snarling  guard dogs restrained by poorly-trained but highly polished officers with guns.  Oh no, don't worry about your luggage. We'll make sure it catches up with you after you've settled in, etc , etc.

Who will be the first spokesman for the authorities who substitutes ''Pogrom' for ''crackdown'' in their press briefings?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, curlylekan said:

Does anyone have any clarification or know of more horror stories of valid tourists who come to Thailand often not being allowed in, other than maybe the 2 that've been posted?

I'll go sometimes 3 times a year for fun and now I'm afraid to even try and enter the country and from the sound of it, I'm not the only tourist who feels this way.

There are half a dozen or others on thaivisa or in Facebook expat groups, within the last couple months. But if you're only coming 3 times a year it isn't risky. That's the problem with their decision though it'll scare off recreational tourists like yourself. It's entirely possible they get a new directive from above to stop doing this and it all blows over.

That's how it normally happens with Thailand. They realise they're scaring off tourists and next thing you know they're giving out free tourist visas for a month. Then the cycle repeats. This news has been picked up by some national and international news media it's in the Nation and the Independent. Not great publicity. 

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, phuketjock said:

Father Fintan Stack was what the <deleted> stood for,

What a load of old cobblers, the old bitters that you refer to have been here for years

on perfectly legal extensions, not visas, and anyone who comes to Thailand for whatever

reason and takes the trouble to avail themselves of the correct visa/extension for the

purpose of their stay has absolutely no need to worry whatsoever, and I really mean that.

There is no sense of entitlement other than in yours and people like yours befuddled heads.

He seems pretty spot on to me. Remember that recent buzz about possible changes to the retirement system, requiring a lot steeper financial commitments, The thread is 160 pages long, all the old bitters freaking out that they wouldn't be able to stay here any longer. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jspill said:

He seems pretty spot on to me. Remember that recent buzz about possible changes to the retirement system, requiring a lot steeper financial commitments, The thread is 160 pages long, all the old bitters freaking out that they wouldn't be able to stay here any longer. 

Haha Historically if, or when, any changes have been made to things regarding extension requirements

existing extensionees have been given grandfather rights, and the recent buzz you refer to buzzes about

every six to twelve months on a regular basis, and has yet to become anything but a buzz, but who knows.

"He" has no Idea what "he" is talking about and you will have to try a bit harder to wind me up.

The only people freaking out are the correct visa dodgers.

Cheers.

Edited by phuketjock
addition
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, sandemara said:

When will tourists learn they are required to wear an armband of a particular colour and carrying an agreed clearly visible, recognisable symbol - maybe a passport number tattoo on the wrist as well before they hit those immigration queues?  Xenophobia promoted and encouraged for purely political purposes.

Welcome to Thailand! So glad you chose to visit!  The cattle wagons, sealed for your protection,  to take you to your luxury accommodation are just over there,  see? Walk between the two lines of snarling  guard dogs restrained by poorly-trained but highly polished officers with guns.  Oh no, don't worry about your luggage. We'll make sure it catches up with you after you've settled in, etc , etc.

Who will be the first spokesman for the authorities who substitutes ''Pogrom' for ''crackdown'' in their press briefings?

haha.  Or in Florida, when one gets  new driver license compliant with the TSA mandate, they put a GOLD STAR on your license.  If it wasn't such an historically significant symbol I would have laughed.  Granted it is not the star of David but still.

7 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

If you think you are safe on Non-O extensions for retirement or marriage you are certainly deluded. There's no guarantees in Thailand and any fool can tell you that. Visa rules can change and be enforced on a whim. 

The entitlement of the old bitters is evident on many TV threads and in particular this one and indeed in your very post. 

It will just make it all the more amusing as demands for financial requirements increase, visas become more and more difficult to get or Thailand lurches into another crisis. The queues at the border will snake well into the jungle as the pension payments are transfered into US$, Dong or Riel and Khun Nok's daughter moves in back with her grandmother and Nok goes back on the pole in Superstars a-go-go.

BTW I have been here over 30 years. Phuket was good for a laugh back in the 90's. The Blarney Stone on Bangla Road opposite Soi Eric when John was running it was a good night out and one of the best in country as I recall. Now the locals are the most arrogant and unlikeable in Thailand and it seems the expats are quickly following suit (no disrespect to your good self, although I do tend to judge an expat on where he pitches his tent in Thailand, it's my barometer of how much of a fud someone is likely to be).

With consideration to the length of your stay in Thailand,

what made the locals so unfriendly and arrogant as you suggest?

And are you still in Phuket?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

If you think you are safe on Non-O extensions for retirement or marriage you are certainly deluded. There's no guarantees in Thailand and any fool can tell you that. Visa rules can change and be enforced on a whim. 

The entitlement of the old bitters is evident on many TV threads and in particular this one and indeed in your very post. 

It will just make it all the more amusing as demands for financial requirements increase, visas become more and more difficult to get or Thailand lurches into another crisis. The queues at the border will snake well into the jungle as the pension payments are transfered into US$, Dong or Riel and Khun Nok's daughter moves in back with her grandmother and Nok goes back on the pole in Superstars a-go-go.

BTW I have been here over 30 years. Phuket was good for a laugh back in the 90's. The Blarney Stone on Bangla Road opposite Soi Eric when John was running it was a good night out and one of the best in country as I recall. Now the locals are the most arrogant and unlikeable in Thailand and it seems the expats are quickly following suit (no disrespect to your good self, although I do tend to judge an expat on where he pitches his tent in Thailand, it's my barometer of how much of a fud someone is likely to be).

Ah the good old rough and ready Irish, bordering on the profane, humour, you've got to love it eh? 

So how have you kept yourself safe and legal for those 30 years in Thailand?

I bet you have just slipped in and out as you please over the border, you know a bit like the wild

colonial boy, not for me boyo I will take my chances with the legal route, lol.

BTW where someone hangs their hat says nothing about what kind of person they are, Just my 

opinion of course.....................:cheesy:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

With consideration to the length of your stay in Thailand,

what made the locals so unfriendly and arrogant as you suggest?

And are you still in Phuket?

He's just stirring the pot mate.

probably couldn't stand the heat in Phuket???

Edited by phuketjock
addition
  • Like 1

On 17/07/2017 at 7:10 AM, bkkcanuck8 said:

The interesting thing is that when getting a tourist visa at a nearby country, they want to see 20,000 baht .... not in cash but in a bank account (or a flight out)... then when entering they want to see the 20,000 in cash -- not in a bank book or statement from a bank.... hmmm.....  interesting...

If you are on a 3 month tourist visa they want to see a lot more than 20,000 Baht for the previous 2 months at the time of applying for a visa at a Thai Embassy in your home country. An income near 50,000 baht a month.

7 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Oh God no, I could only ever stand the place for short doses. It lost its appeal for me over time as it became more and more of a tourist trap and the locals became intolerable. They are arrogant and ignorant in equal measure. It became so as more and more money flowed into the island, from my last visit in 2010 I see now that greed has overwhelmed any semblance of friendliness that did exist, from the moment you try to get a taxi at the airport to the moment you step back on the plane. 

Incidentally, doses were common in those days, especially after the US Navy had been in port. 

Of course many sailors with access to free first class medical care 24/7 go around with untreated gonorrhea which makes it almost impossible to urinate without extreme pain. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, William C F Pierce said:

If you are on a 3 month tourist visa they want to see a lot more than 20,000 Baht for the previous 2 months at the time of applying for a visa at a Thai Embassy in your home country. An income near 50,000 baht a month.

Where did you get this from?

There are no 3 month tourist visas !  

Seems you are confused but I am sure you will post an official  link confirming the details of what you are stating 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Where did you get this from?

There are no 3 month tourist visas !  

Seems you are confused but I am sure you will post an official  link confirming the details of what you are stating 

Single entry 90 day tourist visa. Ok you get 60 days on it on arrival but you can easily extend it for another 30 days.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, curlylekan said:

Their are a lot of good points and a lot of bad points being on here, many circulating around how much laws are enforced in societies and when

The chances are you will be fine.

But I appreciate what you are saying. 'The chances are you will be fine' is still a worrying prospect for the holidaymaker in Birmingham, Copenhagen, Little Rock or wherever else, standing at the airport and worrying about not only being denied entry, but being turned around and detained until the flight home can be arranged - Great, another 12 hours in the air to add to the misery in your minging clothes.

I don't think it is unfair to ask for the rules to be clarified, advertsed and consistantly enforced so everyone can know where he or she stands - why should it be the traveller's problem if the Embassies and Immigration aren't talking to one another?

• Like 2