As Islamic State militants routed in Iraq, their families fear reprisals

webfact

As Islamic State militants routed in Iraq, their families fear reprisals

By Isabel Coles

tag-reuters.jpg

Destroyed buildings from clashes are seen in the Old City of Mosul, Iraq July 10, 2017. REUTERS/Thaier Al-Sudani

BARTELLA, Iraq (Reuters) - Their husbands, sons and brothers are dead, but the women and children Islamic State militants left behind will live to pay the price for their actions.

As Islamic State's days of ruling over vast swathes of Iraq come to an end, questions are emerging about what to do with their families.

For now, many of them are effectively imprisoned in a rubbish strewn encampment east of Mosul, where the last people to be displaced from the city have been taken.

"All the men were killed," said 62 year-old Umm Hamoudi, who fled the Midan district last week with 21 members of her family -- all women and children.

Her husband, an Islamic State member, was wounded in the fighting for the Old City. They tried to carry him off the battlefield but he was too heavy, so they said goodbye and left him there to die.

Displaced civilians are returning home to rebuild their lives, but those who suffered three years of extreme violence and privation under Islamic State say the militants' relatives have no place among them.

Leaflets threatening militants' families have appeared in areas retaken from Islamic State, and vigilantes have thrown grenades at their homes.

"Revenge is not a cure," said Ali Iskander, the head of the Bartella district where the camp is located. "These families should undergo rehabilitation courses"

Local authorities in Mosul recently issued a decree to exile Islamic State families to camps so they can be rehabilitated ideologically.

But rights groups say collective punishment undermines the prospects for reconciliation after Islamic State, and risks fostering a generation of outcasts with no stake in Iraq.

"If we isolate them, how will we bring them back into the fold of the nation?" said a local official visiting the camp on Saturday. "They will become Daesh".

"WE ARE LOST NOW"

Umm Hamoudi's daughter was only 14 years old when her father married her off to an Islamic State militant.

He too was killed around one year ago while the girl was pregnant with her first child, who lay sleeping on the floor of the tent, oblivious to the stigma that will likely cloud the rest of his life.

Umm Suhaib, 32, last heard from her husband two months ago. "He is certainly dead," she said, showing no emotion.

She threatened to leave him when he joined Islamic State around one year after the group took over, but did not because of their four children.

A devout Muslim, her husband was seduced by the idea of a modern-day caliphate, and offered his skills as an engineer in service of Islamic State's state-building project. He came to regret his decision, Umm Suhaib said, but by then it was too late. "He wasted his life and threw ours away with it," she said. "We are lost now".

Like other women whose male relatives joined Islamic State, Umm Suhaib said she was powerless to stop him.

"I have no authority over them," 50 year-old Fatima Shihab Ahmed said of her two brothers who joined the group. She believes one of them is still alive in the militant-held city of Tel Afar, which Iraqi forces plan to assault next.

Ahmed is also a suspect herself: a neighbour's son accused her of working for Islamic State's morality police known as the Hisba, which punished women who broke the militants' strict dress code. She denies it.

None of Umm Yousif's close male relatives joined Islamic State, she said. She was separated from her wounded husband as they fled the Midan district last week and believes he was taken to a hospital after being screened by Iraqi security forces for links with the militants.

"Maybe he is dead. Perhaps he is alive," she said, pleading to be allowed out of the camp so she could look for him.

"They say 'you are all Daesh', but we are not. Even if we were, what is it to do with women and children? Each person is responsible for himself."

(Editing by Michael Perry)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-17

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should isolate them and let them die of old age. Never to have children again.Or be in position to parent.  How a person is brought up shapes who they are and what they do with their lives.Mother's raised these IS militants and gave them the values that brought about their willingness to do what they did. The mothers and wives are facilitators and breed this filth and parent them to be what they became. Show them mercy but isolate them and let them die a natural death with time.

1 hour ago, lovelomsak said:

Should isolate them and let them die of old age. Never to have children again.Or be in position to parent.  How a person is brought up shapes who they are and what they do with their lives.Mother's raised these IS militants and gave them the values that brought about their willingness to do what they did. The mothers and wives are facilitators and breed this filth and parent them to be what they became. Show them mercy but isolate them and let them die a natural death with time.

Does that go for the mothers of all people who commit monstrous acts or does it only apply to Islamic fanatics?

31 minutes ago, Morch said:

I get it that it may be in the US's interest to fund such efforts, not that sure about shouldering most of the burden. Could be a hard sale for many Americans, even those not supporting Trump.

The US headed up the initial aggression, perhaps more to the point stupid decisions once in control of Iraq that enabled the rise of Daesh. IMO, it falls upon the US to set the example by way of appropriate contribution and hopefully constructive policy to assist stabilisation. Not to cut back contributing funding and resourcing for State Department / rebuilding efforts and so on, then boasting of such action.

Edited by simple1

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

The US headed up the initial aggression, perhaps more to the point stupid decisions once in control of Iraq that enabled the rise of Daesh. IMO, it falls upon the US to set the example by way of appropriate contribution and hopefully constructive policy to assist stabilisation. Not to cut back contributing funding and resourcing for State Department / rebuilding efforts and so on, then boasting of such action.

Get Saudi to redevelop Iraq as a bulwark against Iran!

I think the West should invest in Kurdistan as a bulwark against Turkey, Syria, Iraq, Iran and Russia!

Edited by Grouse

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Why what has Iran done to you. ?

Nothing. Quite the reverse!

I was being ironic really. Just Getz Saudi to pay up for whatever reason.

I would favour Iran over Saudi!

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Get them to denounce their religion, if they don't, shoot them, simple really 555

l'm not in favour of any religion they are all the high of hypocriticism but if any of them can reform away from war and terrorism and live in peace that would certainly be a miracle. :biggrin:

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

l'm not in favour of any religion they are all the high of hypocriticism but if any of them can reform away from war and terrorism and live in peace that would certainly be a miracle. :biggrin:

Hence the option I stated earlier

Put the ISIS moms in detention, separated so they can't converse with each other.   They're enablers.   Some of them are willing to put on bomb belts and kill scores of innocents.  The reason they shouldn't converse with others is because that's one of the main reasons ISIS got birthed;  When the US put hundreds of detained Arab men in camps, gave them 3 good meals a day and cots to sleep on.  The men quickly gobbed around the most radical among them.  Radicalism spread like a disease.  Then they were let free.  The disease spread as fast as the men could get to a cache of arms and start taking over cities.

Also, take all the children away from the ISIS moms and put them in well-run orphanages or have them be adopted.  Most are already indoctrinated to the degree - they'll grow up and be radicals (no matter what), so they're already tainted.  So, I guess the best hope is that some of them might grow up to be decent members of society.

It's a matter of very bad or awfully bad.  Accordingly, very bad is better.   Let's aim for that.

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

Split Iraq into three. Kurds with a capital in Mosul, Sunni capital in Bagdad, Shia capital in Basra. Basta!

As for ISIS mothers, invite them round for a cup of tea and few bacon butties!

Who's to do the splitting? And by what authority?

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

That's a moral argument, and not necessarily a sound one at that. Doubt it will hold much weight under the current administration and prevailing economic realities. As posted elsewhere in this topic, for most intents and purposes, the US is not "winning" in Iraq. Sure, it was instrumental in defeating ISIS, but future prospects are grim. If the US was to stick around, without a clear vision for a future Iraq, it would probably end up the same way - perhaps with another entity taking ISIS's place.

37 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Put the ISIS moms in detention, separated so they can't converse with each other.   They're enablers.   Some of them are willing to put on bomb belts and kill scores of innocents.  The reason they shouldn't converse with others is because that's one of the main reasons ISIS got birthed;  When the US put hundreds of detained Arab men in camps, gave them 3 good meals a day and cots to sleep on.  The men quickly gobbed around the most radical among them.  Radicalism spread like a disease.  Then they were let free.  The disease spread as fast as the men could get to a cache of arms and start taking over cities.

Also, take all the children away from the ISIS moms and put them in well-run orphanages or have them be adopted.  Most are already indoctrinated to the degree - they'll grow up and be radicals (no matter what), so they're already tainted.  So, I guess the best hope is that some of them might grow up to be decent members of society.

It's a matter of very bad or awfully bad.  Accordingly, very bad is better.   Let's aim for that.

Wow, that's quite an "enlightened" approach. Guess if it would have been posted by a poster identifying as right wing (with regard to US/European politics) it would have been dubbed "fascist" etc.

I can see it now, letting these pigs run free in western countries to spread the word. Most of them willingly joined a killing machine and now they are worried for their safety. Cant wait to hear the sob stories told by the do good enablers of the west.

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Get them to denounce their religion, if they don't, shoot them, simple really 555

Yeah that will work - murder civilian families - same as Daesh

6 hours ago, Morch said:

That's a moral argument, and not necessarily a sound one at that. Doubt it will hold much weight under the current administration and prevailing economic realities. As posted elsewhere in this topic, for most intents and purposes, the US is not "winning" in Iraq. Sure, it was instrumental in defeating ISIS, but future prospects are grim. If the US was to stick around, without a clear vision for a future Iraq, it would probably end up the same way - perhaps with another entity taking ISIS's place.

In your opinion, what you believe the greater risk - the US to cease contributing to efforts to stabilise Iraq or walk away after assisting with destroying Daesh military capability. IMO unless the US can manage to assist the Iraqi government to engage Sunni and Shia the seeds of Islamist fanaticism will re-grow.

I am no supporter of Islam in any form. I think it is an inherently evil form of religion that dominates every aspect of a person's life. However, regarding these IS women I cannot think of any one solution. Bearing in mind that under that society women have even less rights than in Saudi Arabia, many being taken prisoner, then sold as child brides to those perverted animals. Children are born not choosing their parentage, should they, as young babies, be judged now.

I concede that to put them in isolated camps may very well lead to more radicalisation through resentment. However, I am also firmly against trying to integrate them into western civilisation, as we already know from experience that they will not integrate themselves.

As for the men of IS.......guilty of horrendous war crimes, there is no place in a human society for them.

Solution....Sorry to say that I have non.  Simple 1 posted above the west probably needs to assist the Iraqi government, and I can see his/her point. However, the pestilence of IS is very deeply sown, and I fear no amount of assistance and re-building will ever eradicate it. 

38 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Simple 1 posted above the west probably needs to assist the Iraqi government, and I can see his/her point. However, the pestilence of IS is very deeply sown, and I fear no amount of assistance and re-building will ever eradicate it. 

From my reading of Western security agency comments, Islamist terror will continue for many years. One of the tools for counter terror policy is to minimise risk by contributing aid to try and stabilise countries which are known breeding grounds of political / religious extremist terror. At the moment international funding efforts to support Iraq is current estimated to be only 22% of target; IMO a significant red flag.

16 minutes ago, simple1 said:

From my reading of Western security agency comments, Islamist terror will continue for many years. One of the tools for counter terror policy is to minimise risk by contributing aid to try and stabilise countries which are known breeding grounds of political / religious extremist terror. At the moment international funding efforts to support Iraq is current estimated to be only 22% of target; IMO a significant red flag.

Seems like the west is making the same mistake it did after the Gulf wars, and the unseating of Ghaddafi. IS will continue to proliferate under the radar.......:sad:

4 hours ago, simple1 said:

Yeah that will work - murder civilian families - same as Daesh

Do unto others, as other would do to you, same, same, what goes around, comes around, they are all in on it, believe it, fanatics, do not compare them to humans, they are animals, I am talking hardcore Jihadists and their families who believe in the same faith and would slit your throat in a split second, had they the opportunity.

Edited by 4MyEgo

10 hours ago, Morch said:

Well US can they do everything else.

Iraq split into 3 separate muslim sects is a great idea.

The US could then sell them a couple of nuke missiles each to keep the peace.  :whistling:

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Reprisals for mass rape, beheadings, burning people alive and for throwing gays off roofs, killing Christians and blowing up ancient sites, using children as human shields- surely not! :shock1:

I still maintain that ISIS wives are war criminals.  Same for all other family members of ISIS (other than children) who were in any way aiding ISIS fighters.  They're enablers.  Accomplices in crime.  I don't recommend killing them, but I think it's fair to incarcerate them.  Again, do it in such a way that they can't communicate with each other.  They get 2 meals a day; bread, water and bean mush.  They should appreciate being allowed to live.  If they'd been fighting Daesh and were caught, they would have been killed outright.

11 hours ago, Morch said:

How 'bout some Chinese guy?  Just by someone drawing 9 dashes on a crudely drawn black-line-on-white-paper map (that a h.s. kid could have drawn in 3 minutes), the Chinese changed the geo-political landscape in a large region, which adversely affected 7 other countries directly, and may spark WWIII.

13 hours ago, Grubster said:

I can see it now, letting these pigs run free in western countries to spread the word. Most of them willingly joined a killing machine and now they are worried for their safety. Cant wait to hear the sob stories told by the do good enablers of the west.

We - I mean in Europe - have the same problem dealing with our national djihadists returning "home" from Syria, Iraq, with their wive(s) and kids ..   

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Of course, those laws preventing what I would call ISIL cleansing and families if you like and where they are at the moment is perfect, oy !

Law by themselves don't prevent anyone from doing anything. It takes enforcement by governments or the powers that be. The vile behavior of Isis does not justify the vile behavior of its opponents.

43 minutes ago, Opl said:

We - I mean in Europe - have the same problem dealing with our national djihadists returning "home" from Syria, Iraq, with their wive(s) and kids ..   

Yes indeed. I am strongly against allowing these creatures back. By all means have them enter but then be interned ( not interred BTW) in an interrogation centre for "re-education". 

Also cancel their UK passports. They can re-apply after 5 years. In the meantime, no recourse to public funds.

Reasonable? You know it makes sense ?

Edited by Grouse