Another refused entry

32 minutes ago, jojothai said:

People need to know that it is a requirement the airlines can insist on, and they can deny boarding.

In my experience it is happening more often. Never used to be bothered at all but it is getting different the last few years.

More airlines asking, even airasia once or twice. 

Some airports seem to be more attentive than others for checking return tickets. Maybe a more general tightening than just the airlines.  

Airlines dislike being fined and forced to return those who are refused entry which is why they check. 

1 minute ago, perthperson said:

Airlines dislike being fined and forced to return those who are refused entry which is why they check. 

But obviously not in all cases as proved in this thread 

15 hours ago, thaitero said:

It is quite possible they look peoples social media accounts. There are people who keep their profiles open and they tell everything to the world.. There was another case on facebook advice group who was wondering why he was refused entry despite he had enough money etc.. He was a freelance model and did work Thailand also. Everybody  was able to see that because of his open privacy settings so why not immigration also..

Paranoid nonsense.

When exactly do you think they are going to have time to do this?   Who are they going to get to do it?   Are they reading the FB profiles of every person who arrives in Bangkok? 

This guy probably got refused for having back to back visa exempts.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, observer90210 said:

well if it is all inclusive, with food, wifi, a/c and unlimited booze one may consider such an amount!!!!!!!

What sort of food. what happens if a farang cannot eat Thai food? Unlimited booze?? That can't be true.

18 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I can think of better things to put on your FB page, than a reference to "Home , sweet home, Bangkok," hours before arriving without a visa or money.  Looks like he was working here, too.  Good riddance.

Yes, if he was working then good riddance, but you cannot be sure about that.

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Great advice. Or you could fly into a neighboring country, hire a hot air balloon and drift across the border under cover of darkness.

Very sensible and avoids the 15 minute hassle of actually applying for a re-entry permit or going to the trouble of obtaining a valid visa based on meeting the minimum (and minimal) requirements.

I know you are joking, but just to erase any doubt - "walk in" - in my example - was in the very legal sense, of entering through a checkpoint and receiving the proper stamps. 

In this case - yes, he should have gotten a Tourist Visa instead of trying for exempt.  20K Baht in cash, too.  Even then, however, he could have been denied-entry. 

I have to agree with others that not having $1400 - it is crazy to be traveling to the other side of the world.  But if he had flown in from Malaysia, his return-ticket would be a lot cheaper.  If he had walked across, no detention or need to buy ANY ticket - even in the less-likely case that he was refused entry. 

OTOH, if he could not scrounge up 20K Baht, even the land-border entry might have failed - though he would be in a Malaysian guesthouse now, instead of detention.

14 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Paranoid nonsense.

When exactly do you think they are going to have time to do this?   Who are they going to get to do it?   Are they reading the FB profiles of every person who arrives in Bangkok? 

If Immigration have concerns that someone is in breach of their visa conditions and working, why wouldn't they have a quick look

at their FB page?

They're obviously not looking at everyone's details but if you're a POI, I would say there's a decent chance they would/could check.

It happens in a lot of other countries as well.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

I dont use FB myself i look via the wifes aaccount. Strikes me that if anyone actually puts there real name on there profile they must be totally insane. The wife uses her nickname only and limits to friends only who can see her posts. The other account she has is for buisness only she uses her real name on there for obvious reasons. Nothing of her private life goes onto the buisness account page and any dealings or sales goes through private messaging.

If you really belive the Goverment here are not already monotoring farang accounts you are deluded.

• Like 2

Of course they are being monitored and with the advent of advanced boarding info it is quite easy to establish who is going to be checked more closely and who is not.  The profile is already obvious for  all to see- a series of many entries; under the age of 50; suspicion of working; many tourist or Ed Visa. Unfortunately , some people will be caught in the web who are legitimate 'tourists' with plenty of money and no need to work.  The fact is that most people in the age group defined  have jobs they must work at and cannot be away from the job for more than 30 days.  Id I was in that age group- I wouldn't be coming to Thailand often- plenty of other places to visit more accommodating.

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Paranoid nonsense.

It certainly isnt paranoid nonsemse

Reason being that the Thai Gov has shut down thousands of FB pages and even jailed people for 30 years for liking FB posts

The RTP have also responded to on-line speculation from social media .

Thai immigration also began asking people who were getting tourist visa extensions which social media groups they belong to

It would be very easy for Immigration to look on FB groups like "teaching English in Thailand" and go thorough all the members and check on their record which visa the people have , or just randomly check peoples FB home page who, have been in Thailand for a long time

If its apparent that they are working , all they would have to do is to flag them and instruct border immigration not to let them in

The UK Gov also use this method .

I had a friend who was on sickness benefit living in Thailand , UK Gov called him in for an interview and asked where he had been for the last year , he told them hes been in the UK , they showed him his FB page with lots of photos of him in Thailand

Benefits stopped and he had to replay the money

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

I dont use FB myself i look via the wifes aaccount. Strikes me that if anyone actually puts there real name on there profile they must be totally insane. 

If you really belive the Goverment here are not already monotoring farang accounts you are deluded.

Those of us who have nothing to hide from anyone , can use our real names

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

What sort of food. what happens if a farang cannot eat Thai food? Unlimited booze?? That can't be true.

Well my distinguished poster, in the first place, one could be intrigued if a farang visits Thailand with an aversion to Thai food!

• Like 1

Cody was out of thailand for more than a year.

He used to train here and fight

Thai Fight

Queens Fight

Prison Fight etc... 

Now on way back to USA

They lost his bag too

25 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It certainly isnt paranoid nonsemse

Reason being that the Thai Gov has shut down thousands of FB pages and even jailed people for 30 years for liking FB posts

The RTP have also responded to on-line speculation from social media .

Thai immigration also began asking people who were getting tourist visa extensions which social media groups they belong to

It would be very easy for Immigration to look on FB groups like "teaching English in Thailand" and go thorough all the members and check on their record which visa the people have , or just randomly check peoples FB home page who, have been in Thailand for a long time

If its apparent that they are working , all they would have to do is to flag them and instruct border immigration not to let them in

I had a friend who was on sickness benefit living in Thailand , UK Gov called him in for an interview and asked where he had been for the last year , he told them hes been in the UK , they showed him his FB page with lots of photos of him in Thailand

Dont get in to politics on fb

Especialy Thai politics and you orite, simple as that

Again to ppl saying he was working here, Cody was out of TH for more than a year, He used to train and fight in TH, then left, was about to come train again.

Just now, Xaos said:

Dont get in to politics on fb

Especialy Thai politics and you orite, simple as that

Yeah, I make sure that I'm neither wearing a red t-shirt or a yellow one when I post a photo on FB 

Just in case..............................:)

Just now, sanemax said:

Yeah, I make sure that I'm neither wearing a red t-shirt or a yellow one when I post a photo on FB 

Just in case..............................:)

EU and US NSA are far worse, so relax man

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

Paranoid nonsense.

Not back-to-back - he had been out of Thailand for weeks or longer.  But probably because he had, at one time, spent considerable consecutive-time here.

36 minutes ago, sanemax said:

... Thai immigration also began asking people who were getting tourist visa extensions which social media groups they belong to

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

I dont use FB myself i look via the wifes aaccount. Strikes me that if anyone actually puts there real name on there profile they must be totally insane.

Real Name or no "real name," it is VERY easy with facial-recognition to match up people with passport or other photos.  Trivial, these days. 

Don't put your name or face online - anywhere - period - unless you want to be a "public figure."  Every bit of video or photos anywhere ever put on the web, which contain your image, are now "connected" to you - with time-stamps of where you were and when - connected also to the behavior/action of those other in the photos, or linking to them, or who did something bad in the area at that time you were 'captured', etc.   Even if you have nothing to hide / doing nothing wrong, it is dangerous.  It's not only govt/police who use this technology - the bad guys have it too.

Thailand and the UK aren't alone.  A "humorous" but poorly-worded tweet got a Brit couple blocked from entering the USA:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16810312

18 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Not back-to-back - he had been out of Thailand for weeks or longer.  But probably because he had, at one time, spent considerable consecutive-time here.

Real Name or no "real name," it is VERY easy with facial-recognition to match up people with passport or other photos.  Trivial, these days. 

Don't put your name or face online - anywhere - period - unless you want to be a "public figure."  Every bit of video or photos anywhere ever put on the web, which contain your image, are now "connected" to you - with time-stamps of where you were and when - connected also to the behavior/action of those other in the photos, or linking to them, or who did something bad in the area at that time you were 'captured', etc.   Even if you have nothing to hide / doing nothing wrong, it is dangerous.  It's not only govt/police who use this technology - the bad guys have it too.

Thailand and the UK aren't alone.  A "humorous" but poorly-worded tweet got a Brit couple blocked from entering the USA:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16810312

If the CIA ,FBI , Mi5, Mossad , KGB want to know what I am doing, all they have to do is to send me a FB friend request , I have nothing to hide from anyone

Just now, jeab1980 said:

If you say so so whats your fb name?

As this is an anonymous forum and everyone is antonymous, I would rather keep it that way .

If everyone else had their real names, I would have no problem using my name

I would rather not people know who I am and I dont know who they are

• Like 2

Lufthansa made me sign a document online, stating that I would be responsible for all fees involved in my return, if I was denied entry for any and all reasons.  First time for that in thirteen trips, have had to show visa before....once the fat pig at UAL was trying to deny me because I was changing planes in Beijing and didn't have a visa for PRC...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If the CIA ,FBI , Mi5, Mossad , KGB want to know what I am doing, all they have to do is to send me a FB friend request , I have nothing to hide from anyone

I do believe in personal privacy, and am astonished people give theirs up.   But, "up to you."

I don't worry about official agencies - though history shows they often have ties to unsavory characters, if you read the now-declassified docs from 40 yrs ago.  I figure they know where I am 24/7, anyway.  I do worry more about private-corporations having that data.  Also, straight-up bad guys - consider this really simple case:  Bad Guy knows your schedule, knows the toys you have, uses those to burglarize your home.  But if you put disinfo in your FB-account to protect yourself, now you look like you are "hiding something" and could come under suspicion from the good-guys.  Yuk.  I simply opted out.

• Like 1

Just now, JackThompson said:

I do believe in personal privacy, and am astonished people give theirs up.   But, "up to you."

I don't worry about official agencies - though history shows they often have ties to unsavory characters, if you read the now-declassified docs from 40 yrs ago.  I figure they know where I am 24/7, anyway.  I do worry more about private-corporations having that data.  Also, straight-up bad guys - consider this really simple case:  Bad Guy knows your schedule, knows the toys you have, uses those to burglarize your home.  But if you put disinfo in your FB-account to protect yourself, now you look like you are "hiding something" and could come under suspicion from the good-guys.  Yuk.  I simply opted out.

Fully agree...I deleted my FB account almost 6 years ago....if I need to communicate free of charge from one part of the world to the other I either use wassUp or faceTime and works fine...

• Like 2

On his page, someone well advised say :
" FWIW: the thai visa forum is not always the best place to look for accurate information unless you wanna wade thru a mountain of bullsh*t.
I give you a TOTAL
  FAIL."

22 hours ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

Gosh. So many there most be direction from higher up.
I think the 3 recent ones are 35 or less and could be viewed as likely to be earning money here.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Anybody agree with age matter !!!  and would that be one of the IO concerns ???

Edited by ababidoo
  • Like 1