Taking The Mick?

My son went out with some friends on their motorbikes yesterday and they parked up outside a shop.

After putting the sidestand down my son's bike went and toppled over into his friends bike parked to his right, this in turn toppled over into another lads bike.

My sons bike has no damage, the bike his toppled into has no or negligible damage, however, the third bike which happened to be a new Kawasaki 300 has bore the brunt.

Now I don't mind helping out and trying to put things right but I get the feeling I am being taken for a ride as the kid whose bike it is knows I am a foreigner and we all know foreigners mean money.

Apparently, this lad now wants 12K Baht to repair the damage which as far as I can gather consists of a 1 inch dent to the bike tank (8K) and some scratches to the plastic clutch guard, the right side panel and scratches to two frame sliders.

He simply went to the Kawasaki dealer and priced up all brand new parts - not a price to have them repaired.

What do you reckon would be the best / fair way forward? - No one here is making an insurance claim as no one has class one and of course, they are all "FRIENDS"!

put the shoe on the other foot, would you like to have the tank repaired or replaced with a new one ?

as for scratches to the PLASTIC guard not easy to repair. I suggest you get an estimate of your own.

you caused it  you  pay Id be asking for new parts and also for wasting my time going  to fix  it hiring a replacemtn bike for the day and pain and suffering...........clue park bike  better etc

Crossy: Bikes can easily fall to the right even with the kickstand on the left if they don't have enough lean due to an uneven surface for example.

But whatever the reason, yes I'd also take new parts as you can't easily repair them to get them into the condition they were before. Pay for the parts and take it off of your sons allowance. It was his fault and it's a good opportunity to teach him to be responsible and sort out the issue. Also a good opportunity to think about insurance (doesn't have to be first class).

3 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Crossy: Bikes can easily fall to the right even with the kickstand on the left if they don't have enough lean due to an uneven surface for example.

A modicum of care should prevent it going right, I don't recall ever having a bike on the kickstand going the "wrong" way, either way it's the son's problem.

EDIT Ah, I see it actually went left.

If the tank is 8k then 12k for everything sounds right. It's about 3k for a new side panel on a ninja, plus 1k for extras like bar ends, brake lever etc. It could be worse, he could ask another 3k for the frame sliders.

The new Ninja would have 1st class insurance but, if it was my ninja, I wouldn't want to claim on it and lose my no claims bonus next year. Plus there would be around 6k deductible anyway.

Suck it up and pay it. If it makes you feel better, then go with the lad to Kawasaki, at least then you know the bill is real and the work is done.

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Go to a Kawasaki dealer and find out for yourself the cost locally l could get it fixed to a very high standard not using a main dealer.

You can only buy parts from the Kawasaki main dealer.

Perhaps you are suggesting a filler bodge job on a fuel tank/fairings plus respray? Sticking fairings back together with glue?

No thanks.

12k sounds a good deal for a "walking wallet". Cost you a lot more if he talks to some more people.

Last year, squeezing between cars on my new Filano, my wife's foot "touched" the front bumper on a parked old Honda City and the whole front fell off into the road. The owner came rushing out, saw me and began talking to her friend of how much money she wanted, even though the bumper was held on with one thread of one self tapping screw. It was all about money, money, money, maybe even a booby trap.

I raced home, picked up some tools and a dozen M6 bolts, nylocs and repair washers and fixed it, made a good job, but she was still really unhappy she didn't get any pay out.

12k on a new bike..... get it done.

If you (or someone you are responsible for) damages my new bike, you're going to put it back to the condition is was in before you damaged it, and that includes replacement with new parts-12K sounds pretty light if it includes a new tank.  

You were never going to find much support for your position in this section of the forum.

Edited by flare

You say the Kawasaki 300 was 'new'. If it was my new bike, damaged by somebody else through no fault of my own, I'd insist on new replacement parts and refuse a repair. Get the bloke his new parts and give your son some lessons in correctly parking his bike.

11 hours ago, macknife said:

You can only buy parts from the Kawasaki main dealer.

Perhaps you are suggesting a filler bodge job on a fuel tank/fairings plus respray? Sticking fairings back together with glue?

No thanks.

Just saying renewable repairs to plastics and tanks are possible to a high standard.

If OP ain't appy and thinks there taking the mick, check with Kwacka dealer to confirm price. :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Can't do that it cost what it costs, find out how much and pay up if it's your fault.

It was NOT his fault .His son had something to do with it ,and it was the middle bike that made contact .

3 hours ago, anto said:

It was NOT his fault .His son had something to do with it ,and it was the middle bike that made contact .

" After putting the side-stand down my son's bike went and toppled over into his friends bike parked to his right, this in turn toppled over into another lads bike."

Reading above Me's don't think so he started it :laugh:  an insurance assessor maybe would say Kwacka claims from middle bike,  middle bike claims from his son, dunno maybe @stevenl could chip in he knows about insurance stuff.

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:15 PM, Formaleins said:

He simply went to the Kawasaki dealer and priced up all brand new parts - not a price to have them repaired.

As others have said...I wouldn't want repaired parts on my new bike either...just thank your lucky stars it wasn't a Triumph tank...there're 40,000 Baht