Nate apologises for railway-track coin prank and may face charges

webfact

14 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

This is utter nonsense.  The SRT would better spend their time monitoring the safety of their sub-standard tracks.  A coin is not going to derail a train; poor maintenance will.

Yes of course you are right but the SRT would say 'what's the good in maintaining rail tracks when the next big rain will wash away the sleepers' and undo all the work!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jaywalker said:

Heaven FORBID that you have any success in Thailand.

While I agree that he's a <deleted>'er, I have nothing against him.

Just an idiot kid is all.....And weren't we all at some point?

We just had the good fortune that Youtube didn't exist. I'm 50 BTW.

Youtube started in Feb, 2005.   You've had 12 years to be making money from it.

Being 50 shouldn't stop you from making money online!!  

26 minutes ago, 1024 said:

Nate, the people see your actions as irresponsible and a bad influence. If found guilty of trespass on Thai Railways you face up to 7 years in jail and a 14.000 Baht fine.

Listen up Nate!!!!! You, you foolish boy. If mushroom pickers can get 30 years. You could get......... well many, many years; a lifetime even! And if it was ever discovered/invented/imagined that royalty had actually traveled on one of those coin flattening trains well consider suicide.

Wise up, <deleted> off while you can and go ply your trade in Burma or Malaysia or even USA!

6 hours ago, Thechook said:

"They found a Hong Kong coin on a side of the track and some damage to the tracks, making them believe that it was the location where Bartling had placed the coins".

Hum, the metal used in coins appears to be far stronger and superior to the metal used to construct a rail network in Thailand.  I am probably wrong but I thought railway rails were subjected to very high stresses and have to be made of very high-quality steel alloy.  

If his coin has damaged the track why wasn't it closed and immediately repaired for public safety?  He should be charged and billed for the rail repairs and whilst the SRT are at it they should replace the soft metal rails with steel.

Ever heard of trespassing on the railroad?

Try doing these stunts publicly in your home land and see if anything happens.

1 hour ago, chezy86 said:

We used to do this when we were kids never saw it damage trains or tracks just crushed coins. But the train and tracks were British steel maybe it was better quality. Difference here is we were kids this fool is earning a living larking about like a kid.

I never put coins on a train track when I was a kid because there weren't any I could do it on, but I've seen coins that have been squashed and even though I'm now 50 if I got a chance to try it myself I probably would.  

Be quite good fun I reckon!

5 hours ago, Familyaffairs said:

Does Thailand really need to issue a visa and WP to some nonse like this,which negatively affects the good standing of the rest of us. Let him go back home and do it there, maybe its more appreciated there,

personally i cant see how nate could possibly affect my "standing", though from what i see on a daily basis not many of you lot are doing yourselves much credit either.

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

"They found a Hong Kong coin on a side of the track and some damage to the tracks, making them believe that it was the location where Bartling had placed the coins".

Hum, the metal used in coins appears to be far stronger and superior to the metal used to construct a rail network in Thailand.  I am probably wrong but I thought railway rails were subjected to very high stresses and have to be made of very high-quality steel alloy.

Chuck some of these coins into the cupola when melting down for the rails.

Edited by owl sees all

41 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

The fact that he had a non-B visa and was legally in Thailand wasn't in dispute.  I believe he previously said he had a non-B from teaching when he got in trouble for the scorpion vs. cat video.  The real issue will be whether MOL starts an investigation as to whether his you-tubing constitutes working without a proper work permit.  His work permit only allows him to teach at a specific school, not engage in work on youtube at various locations.  This goes to the heart of the matter, because if there is no investigation by MOL, it demonstrates that the MOL has no desire to prosecute digital nomads who perform all their "work" on a computer through use of the internet.

thats correct. this is an important case for all digital nomads. they are everywhere in thailand living the easy life living and working from home

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The Non-B visa allows foreigners to work and conduct business in Thailand.

Wrong, the Non-B allows to stay 90 days per entry and is granted for business reasons (e.g. instead for reasons like retirement or Thai-wife). A common misunderstanding. It needs a work-permit for being allowed to work (as the name of this document suggests). "Doing business" refers to taking part in meetings or discuss stuff with customers/clients and the like...

This whole facade is ridiculous... Yes, the guy appears to be somewhat of a pr!ck.. big deal... 

He placed a coin on a railway track, again, big deal... get over it.. If you don't like him (and I don't), don't watch him. 

He's hardly offensive, just irritating. 

As for the trespassing charge, look at any market along the tracks and you will see the very same trespassing, much worse in fact. The Train Market in Bangkok is an example of this trespassing in the extreme. 

The Scorpion Vs Cat issue was much worse. 

His p!sh taking of Thai's speaking English is just that, a p!sh take... some sensitive people need to chill out a little. 

IMO - the only bad thing he has done is 'Scorpion Vs Cat' (which I haven't watched but heard about on this forum), the rest is simply juvenile click bait..... 

On a slightly different note: Regarding Coin crushing. These weren't Thai coins, so it appears he was switched on enough not to use Thai Coins (which must irritate the authorities who I'm sure were hoping they could use this against him !).

Has anyone seen the Coin crushing machines in the kids play area's in Bangkok ??... Put in a coin, turn the handle and it turns your (Thai) coin into a flat disc... 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

He lamented that he had done many good videos but was negatively criticised for only two mistakes.

1 hour ago, Saraphee said:

Let him show us what he considers a 'good' video

I liked his video's in his early days here but thats when he stayed behind the camera, most of the time. Nice video below from My Mate Nate uploaded in Dec 2015 but someone should of had a word with him about running on the temple ruins back then and reminded him that he was now in Thailand. :post-4641-1156693976:

Was hoping to see more video's like this, but this one only got 200k views :whistling:

This guy is an idiot for pulling an idiotic stunt like this.

What's even more idiotic is that he has now positioned himself as the perfect farang scapegoat.

Question: Why is there such lack of progress in improving Thailand's railway infrastructure? 

SRT Answer: How can we improve the infrastructure when we have farang idiots like Nate destroying our railway tracks with coins?

Question: Why is Thailand succumbing to western values and what can be done to preserve 'Thainess' & Thai culture? 

Answer: How can 'Thainess' prevail when there are farang idiots like Nate poisoning the minds of Thai youth on Youtube? Arrest him!

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

I doubt he has made anywhere near this amount. A monetized Youtube account can make money if it is English.  In Thai, not so much.  Just a small fraction of what English language Youtube videos generate. A Thai language video with 500,000 views may generate US$25, nowhere near what English language revenue is.

What a load of old tosh. You clearly know very little about how Adsense operates. He is a millionaire in USD easily by now. Ads play on a video in accordance to the playback location, not the language that the video is made in, and Thai businesses have A LOT of ads lined up for Youtube Adsense. Thailand is one of the largest purchasers of online goods in the entire world

1 minute ago, Shroud said:

Don't you guys get it?
They guy did this intentionally because he want's more publicity & now he surely has more followers and cashflow.

Yeah he is clever in that sense. But he has been risky I must admit, I mean he could have gotten into quite a bit of trouble and now half of the country wants him to leave, which he probably should. I wouldn't want to stay in a nation where they literally created a petition to make me leave, would you feel safe walking around Bangkok if you were him? 

he came here with his family to try and brainwash and convert Thais from Buddhism to Mormonism, ended up learning their native tongue, and then spewing out BS content to their kids to make a mil lol, now he should sod off with his bland wife 

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

I doubt he has made anywhere near this amount. A monetized Youtube account can make money if it is English.  In Thai, not so much.  Just a small fraction of what English language Youtube videos generate. A Thai language video with 500,000 views may generate US$25, nowhere near what English language revenue is.

Advertising to Thais is huge money.  

I have a Thai friend who gets paid to pose with products on her Instagram account.   She travels all over the world doing it and makes a lot more money than you'd ever guess.   You can find her on Instagram by searching for Looknut Maxim 

As for Nate, he made enough to buy a new convertible Mercedes earlier this year.  Not bad for someone who's only 23.    Almost 4 million views on that video alone.

Huh  seems  to me like many people have  nothing better to do than moan about something incredibly trivial and the "authorities" are wanting to just  show how strong they are, the "ever  outraged" Thai "netizens".....meanwhile every Tom Dick and Somchai drives round level crossing barriers  daily and when their shitemobile whacks a train do they get any punishment for that. 

Look how  many people are at this meeting......jobs for the boys, bunch of losers, bet the local kids do way worse than coins on the track.

These weren't Thai coins, so it appears he was switched on enough not to use Thai Coins 

As has already been mentioned, the Lese Majeste laws in Thailand include foreign Monarchs and their immediate family.  If Nate used a British coin with a picture of HM Queen Elizabeth, then he has - according to Thai Law - committed LM.

1 hour ago, zaphod reborn said:

The fact that he had a non-B visa and was legally in Thailand wasn't in dispute.  I believe he previously said he had a non-B from teaching when he got in trouble for the scorpion vs. cat video.  The real issue will be whether MOL starts an investigation as to whether his you-tubing constitutes working without a proper work permit.  His work permit only allows him to teach at a specific school, not engage in work on youtube at various locations.  This goes to the heart of the matter, because if there is no investigation by MOL, it demonstrates that the MOL has no desire to prosecute digital nomads who perform all their "work" on a computer through use of the internet.

One thing I've noticed is that it can be very confusing sometimes to determine who's in dispute of what on here.

As in my case just thinking many were disgusted with his antics and wasn't even thinking about precident setting with the Ministry of Labour . 

Advertising to Thais is huge money.  

I have a Thai friend who gets paid to pose with products on her Instagram account.   She travels all over the world doing it and makes a lot more money than you'd ever guess.   You can find her on Instagram by searching for Looknut Maxim 

As for Nate, he made enough to buy a new convertible Mercedes earlier this year.  Not bad for someone who's only 23.    Almost 4 million views on that video alone.

I think your friends main income is (amateur) modelling.
Or in Thai being a "pretty"

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Surely the train has to be going quite fast to flatten coins.

Nah, in the late '50's we turned halfpennies into the size of half crowns, right on the station platform tracks...! Just had to wait half an hour for the train to pull out of the station and the stationmaster return to his office!!