Minneapolis police shooting of Australian woman sparks questions about body cameras

webfact

8 hours ago, i claudius said:

The Guardian. Who reads it?( Advertizing is dropping like a stone ) hardly anyone it seems

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What is incorrect with the reporting. However, Off Topic comment and as usual no research.

Edited by simple1

On 7/18/2017 at 7:32 AM, perthperson said:

American "law enforcement"  seems to have regressed to Wild West days,  "Shoot first then ask the questions"  Doubt there will be any riots in support of this lady ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

No.  Fancy that. The shooter is a Somali immigrant. Where are the  Black Lives Matter protestors?

On 7/18/2017 at 10:51 AM, iReason said:

I agree.

My father was a NY State Trooper.

My uncle was a city cop.

Neither were anything close to some cops now.

Neither ever fired their gun.

I knew many cops in L.A., and in discussion with them,

they lamented privately that cops were being recruited directly after serving in the Armed Forces.  Guys I knew said, bad move, these recruits had a "us and them" mentality regarding the public and were too quick to temper. That's when L.A. started becoming militarized.

How about sticking with the actual facts of this case? None of the assumptions made apply or are even close to what happened here. Nor are they applicable. You have it wrong. Very wrong.

Mohamed Noor does not  have anything in common with your description. He is the exact opposite of this because he has a degree in economics and business administration. He is 40 years old and only became a cop in 2015.  Before joining the police department, he worked in property management. After completing field training in 2016, he became the first Somali-American assigned to the Fifth Precinct, which covers Southwest Minneapolis.   He has 2 years on the job.

On 7/18/2017 at 8:55 AM, mrdome said:

Such an unbelievable story, shooting an unarmed woman in her PJ's ....

Now that it was a white victim, hopefully there will be more spotlight on cops murdering innocent people.

It goes  beyond that and I expect that  the investigation will show that the  shooter was  not right for the job and  was pushed through because he was a Somali immigrant in a city with a large number of Somali immigrants and criminal gangs, in need of a visible Somali good guy. Mohammed Noor was the first Somali cop in the city and featured prominently  in PR and outreach programs.  

Department records show that he had three complaints filed against him, the details of which are not public. One was closed without any disciplinary action and two are still open.  Not a particularly good record for a rookie and  one which usually results in  the police officer's termination. It looks to me like he was  protected and coddled because he was a member of a visible ethnic group in a city where the police department was criticized for being too white.

As all the facts are not known, I hesitate to comment.  But I will address the camera issue.  The officers were still in their car when the incident occurred. Generally body cams are not activated until you are exiting the car. Common sense really.   In reports I have read, the dashcam was working but they only show what is in front of the vehicle. This incident appears to have happened to the drivers side (shot by passenger).  I don't see where the cameras are an issue and basically irrelevant.  As for the shooting itself, obviously a tragedy that should never have occurred for any reason. 

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

How about sticking with the actual facts of this case?

None of the assumptions made apply or are even close to what happened here.

Nor are they applicable. You have it wrong. Very wrong.

Mohamed Noor does not  have anything in common with your description.

It goes  beyond that and I expect that  the investigation will show that the  shooter was  not right for the job and  was pushed through because he was a Somali immigrant in a city with a large number of Somali immigrants and criminal gangs, in need of a visible Somali good guy.

It looks to me like he was  protected and coddled because he was a member of a visible ethnic group in a city where the police department was criticized for being too white.

I have made no assumptions.

I stated facts.

I stated nothing as applicable to this case.

Talk about shooting from the hip... Jeez

You are the one making assumptions. A lot of them.

While shamefully attempting to make it a race issue.

Right out of the gate.

Please don't include me in your hysterical, hyperbolic gibberish.

1 minute ago, iReason said:

I have made no assumptions.

I stated facts.

I stated nothing as applicable to this case.

Talk about shooting from the hip... Jeez

You are the one making assumptions. A lot of them.

While shamefully attempting to make it a race issue.

Right out of the gate.

Please don't include me in your hysterical, hyperbolic gibberish.

You were the one who made  an incorrect claim.

Did you not write

I knew many cops in L.A., and in discussion with them,

they lamented privately that cops were being recruited directly after serving in the Armed Forces.  Guys I knew said, bad move, these recruits had a "us and them" mentality regarding the public and were too quick to temper. That's when L.A. started becoming militarized.

You give a scenario that has absolutely nothing to do with the facts here; Facts which are established. The  shooter was a rookie. His partner had even less experience with only 1 year on the force.  Office Mohammed Noor was 40 years old and  was not recruited from the military. He had been a property management  worker. He had no connection to militarization and was the exact opposite of the  "us and them" mentality that you cite. Officer Mohammed Noor was promoted within the Somali community as one of them and people were encouraged to reach out and talk to him.

The good old days you reference were the days of police abuses and of corruption that went unchallenged. We hear of policy wrongdoings today because there are controls and  less tolerance for   wrongdoing, and also because the USA has become a more violent and destructive society.

I also pointed out that officer Mohammed  Noor had a history of questionable behavior.  Rookies with records like his do not last long and yet, there he was front and center in a PR push in 2016 despite being under investigation.  Maybe if he had been  subject to military training he would have understood basic concepts such as the use of lethal force and self discipline. 

mohamed noor

I always worry when I go to the USA.  The fact that the police shoot so many people and get away with it is disturbing.  The court system when only a judge does the case and makes a ruling, is not much of a justice

system. My opinion anyway. I do hope that the cop who killed this Australian woman has to go to a court and face a jury of 12 people.

Geezer

30 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I always worry when I go to the USA.  The fact that the police shoot so many people and get away with it is disturbing.  The court system when only a judge does the case and makes a ruling, is not much of a justice system. My opinion anyway. I do hope that the cop who killed this Australian woman has to go to a court and face a jury of 12 people.

Geezer

Please don't worry, Geezer.   If you come to the US we will make sure the police are held accountable when they shoot you.  

12 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I always worry when I go to the USA.  The fact that the police shoot so many people and get away with it is disturbing.  The court system when only a judge does the case and makes a ruling, is not much of a justice

system. My opinion anyway. I do hope that the cop who killed this Australian woman has to go to a court and face a jury of 12 people.

Geezer

It is sad that a few (I say 'a few' knowing ONE is too many if you are the victim) incidents involving U.S. Police cause some to paint so many with the same brush.  There are an estimated 785,000 law enforcement officers in the U.S. Of which 136 were killed in 2016 performing their duty.  You do the percent of bad versus good.  In the U.S. the defendant has the choice of a trial by jury or a trial by judge. Unlike on Thai Visa, they are presumed innocent until proven guilty.  I admit I don't see much doubt in this instance.  Sad indeed.

10 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

It is sad that a few (I say 'a few' knowing ONE is too many if you are the victim) incidents involving U.S. Police cause some to paint so many with the same brush.  There are an estimated 785,000 law enforcement officers in the U.S. Of which 136 were killed in 2016 performing their duty.  You do the percent of bad versus good.  In the U.S. the defendant has the choice of a trial by jury or a trial by judge. Unlike on Thai Visa, they are presumed innocent until proven guilty.  I admit I don't see much doubt in this instance.  Sad indeed.

Doubtful that 136 were killed in the line of duty; that many killed sure but it includes suicides and being killed by wives, angry cuckold husbands, etc...  Less than half that number of police were killed in a felonious assault while performing their job. 

The police killed over a thousand civilians in 2016 and have a good chance of doing so again in 2017, the police seem to have a handle on that ratio.